Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #15
ACEPA
3 Camaro man!

Drives: Camaro 2.0 T
Hi guys I am back so I purchased the GM recommended Mobil 1 transmission fluid at $30 a litre in China and with a new filter and gasket I am just about set to change the oil. I have a technical question if someone could guide me. On YouTube there are dozens of videos about doing the oil change and short of just dropping the oil pan and changing the oil a couple of guys say the best way to remove the most oil is to disconnect the pipes to the radiator heat exchanger and pump out most all the transmission fluid by disconnecting the input pipe run the engine and just let it run out into a bucket then drop the pan to remove what is left. Why so few people recommend this approach in the videos?
ACEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:58 AM   #16
ACEPA
3 Camaro man!

Question over draining the transmission fluid

Hi Guys,
2018 2.0T turbo converter shudder.
I have my special mobil oil, my filter and new gasket and I am ready to go. After studying many videos on draining the transmission fluid I see some guys recommend running the engine and draining the transmission fluid from the heat exchanger by pulling one output line and connecting a plastic tube to the line hence more of the original fluid is removed from the system before you drop the transmission pan. Does anyone have any comments on this approach? Pro's and con's?
Old 02-27-2021, 11:26 PM   #17
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEPA View Post
Hi Guys,
2018 2.0T turbo converter shudder.
I have my special mobil oil, my filter and new gasket and I am ready to go. After studying many videos on draining the transmission fluid I see some guys recommend running the engine and draining the transmission fluid from the heat exchanger by pulling one output line and connecting a plastic tube to the line hence more of the original fluid is removed from the system before you drop the transmission pan. Does anyone have any comments on this approach? Pro's and con's?
I have a SS with the 8L90 but I had to do the new fluid swap myself as I was out of warranty.

I can't think of any reason why it would hurt anything if you pumped the fluid out like they mentioned by disconnecting the cooler line. This actually seems like a way less messy way of doing things than dropping the pan with it full of oil. The only issue I see with it is you don't want to be trying to pump the very last fluid out of the sump with the engine running and having the pump suck air with nothing to lubricate it, but I still think it would be fine just to use it to get a majority of the fluid out first, then you could drop the pan and its not so full of oil.

Anyway, I think I remember getting about maybe 12 quarts I think? I think 12 quarts is about or a little over the entire capacity of the 8L90 including the fluid cooler and lines and fluid that cools the differential. On your 2.0 I don't think you have the diff cooler and the 8L45 you have might not hold as much as the 8L90 in the sump too so your capacity is probably less.

I ended up dropping my pan and cranked it up for just a second so I could push some out of the cooler lines as well. I then stuck a radiator hose (I think it was a 3/8 inside diameter I think?) behind the motor and fished it through down to where I could crawl under the car and insert the hose into the plug hole on the side of the transmission. On my 8L90 it was very tight reaching my hands up in there to get the plug off and on and the hose inserted so it was a PITA.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #18
ACEPA
3 Camaro man!

Back on torque converter shudder

Hi All Camaro fans
The next episode: 2018 2T A8 shudder. Trying to negotiate such an issue in Shenzhen in China is like asking a Ford dealership for GM help.
It took me 2 months to get the new transmission oil because mobil does not import it into China. I visited the local Camaro, Buick and Cadillac dealer and asked them if they had done a transmission flush and refill but for the hundreds of A8's they sell they said they have never done one. Shocked at such a response I asked them how many owners complained about such vibration and they said many. But he said the drivers here just prefer to continue to drive them with the condition. This means many cars will need new torque converters and transmission in the future. OMG GM is fooling the world over the A8 problem. I made a decision to do the overhaul myself. The transmission is flushed, filter changed and the new oil installed. Tomorrow I will test drive to see the result. The local Chevrolet dealer was helpful but really did not want to get involved. The strange thing I have local lady friend with yellow 2018 2.0T Automatic at 25,000 miles that purchased her Camaro the same week as me at the same dealer and she does not have this shudder problem???
Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #19
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Good luck man. hope it's resolved.