Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #127
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Here's what an EV should be used for to fit your example above. They make these now, but not available in the US. Gee, I wonder why. Your scenario above makes sense, except for one thing....the price. 40-50-60K and more for a commuter car? That is the economic non-sense we are forced to believe.

With the price of a new EV, you will never break even in gas savings in one or two life-times. Not including the cost of the electricity and the inevitable other road taxes and fees that EVs will soon have far and above gasoline costs. Electricity is no bargain. Ok evs, have no transmission, exhaust, etc. that ICE vehicles have. BFD. Where is the savings on the sticker price of new EVs?

I'd buy this thing below, let it charge (outside) on a common extension cord, and be good to go for a work trip, getting groceries, etc. the next day. No nation-wide government controlled charging infrastructure needed. But only if it's at the price they sell for...4,5, or 6K....Then I'll go "EV".

Attachment 1056366
I realize that it doesn't economically make sense for everyone. That's why I don't personally have one.

Electricity rate is generally quite a bit cheaper, though, and remember maintenance cost of a gas car with the oil changes and other fluid changes. Remember that not everyone DIY, and absolutely, if you don't drive many km every year, there won't be savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
You are assuming everyone will have a charger? What about those living in apartment complexes that haven't installed them yet? What if wife or family member took the car for the night and forgot to put it on charger overnight? What if you came late and don't have a fast charger then next morning you are in negative temperatures and range gets cut in half?

It's not true that the battery degradation is minimal, Tesla is trying to improve efficiency but you still will lose a chunk of your range within 2-3 years. In really cold climates the range is significantly worse.

It's true they are good for commuting, in the sense they provide instant torque and are better for the environment, but that's it for the time being. ICE vehicles are just as good if not better for commuting as well. I'm sure the EV tech will get better over time but we are working with what we have today.

I have no problem with people wanting an EV. I'd get a hatchback, sporty AWD EV in the future for daily driving. However, problem is they are forcing the industry this way, sports cars will get cancelled and forced to go EV. EV sport coupes/muscle cars will not match their original ICE experience. They lose range quite quickly if you drive aggressively and they can't track for longer periods. They will also be quite boring and there will be less to differentiate between EV sports coupes/muscle cars. If they make a brand new EV coupe or sport sedan or whatever, I am all for it. They should not kill what a Camaro, Mustang , Challenger and Charger are though.

They can kill all the CUV's/SUVS they want(that make up majority of sales) since those things come with 1.5l 4 cylinders nowadays and EV is a better application for those vehicles.
If you don't have a charger then no, don't consider one. Goes without saying. I am assuming people who buy one have a way to charge it at home. Also don't buy them if you live in the extreme cold. That's why I think Canadian government is being cute when they wanted to ban ICE across the country.

Plug-in hybrid solves your last two scenarios in the first paragraph. Not pure EV, sure, but close enough. The ICE is there just in case for those unexpected uses.

Battery degradation will probably depend on how much you drive. If you don't use much battery every day just for your usual commuting, you won't be cycling the battery as much as it won't degrade very quickly.

IMO hybrid is good for people who want more flexibility while still wanting to spend less on gas.

I also don't agree how quickly governments are pushing EVs without thinking about the implications of them. For a fun car, I would not consider an EV. That electric motor whining isn't nearly as pleasant to listen to as a V8.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #128
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

If you don't have a charger then no, don't consider one. Goes without saying. I am assuming people who buy one have a way to charge it at home. Also don't buy them if you live in the extreme cold. That's why I think Canadian government is being cute when they wanted to ban ICE across the country.

Plug-in hybrid solves your last two scenarios in the first paragraph. Not pure EV, sure, but close enough. The ICE is there just in case for those unexpected uses.

Battery degradation will probably depend on how much you drive. If you don't use much battery every day just for your usual commuting, you won't be cycling the battery as much as it won't degrade very quickly.

IMO hybrid is good for people who want more flexibility while still wanting to spend less on gas.

I also don't agree how quickly governments are pushing EVs without thinking about the implications of them. For a fun car, I would not consider an EV. That electric motor whining isn't nearly as pleasant to listen to as a V8.

100% agree, hybrids should be more emphasized as a transition model between ICE and EV, until EV tech and infrastructure improves. That is the opinion of the CEO of Toyota and I believe it makes sense. Toyota has some hybrids today that can run without the gas engine in the city and this is where we need it most in stop and go city traffic. While the gas engine will be there for long range trips and convenience of fast refueling.

I remembering back then driving my dad's volt on some occasions, it got solid fuel economy and I think between 30-40 miles of range out of the battery. On the occasions we didn't charge it you could just fill up. Was a cool car, I do miss it. It leased for cheap at that time.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #129
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
100% agree, hybrids should be more emphasized as a transition model between ICE and EV, until EV tech and infrastructure improves. That is the opinion of the CEO of Toyota and I believe it makes sense. Toyota has some hybrids today that can run without the gas engine in the city and this is where we need it most in stop and go city traffic. While the gas engine will be there for long range trips and convenience of fast refueling.

I remembering back then driving my dad's volt on some occasions, it got solid fuel economy and I think between 30-40 miles of range out of the battery. On the occasions we didn't charge it you could just fill up. Was a cool car, I do miss it. It leased for cheap at that time.
I can agree with you on that. Seems like companies are definitely jumping at EV too quickly. Hybrid combines the best of two worlds, you get the efficiency of an EV and the flexibility of an ICE car.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #130
HughJass
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy Camaro, Dodge Viper
That logo is too soft
HughJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #131
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
As stated by GM brass, "This logo is meant to be more inclusive.".

I'm not certain what this means exactly, but the new logo looks very effeminate. JMHO.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #132
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
As stated by GM brass, "This logo is meant to be more inclusive.".

I'm not certain what this means exactly, but the new logo looks very effeminate. JMHO.
I don't even understand what that means. The logo is more inclusive? Of what?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #133
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
They don't know, it's just one of those words thrown around to make people feel good. Like they were excluding some people before with the old logo.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #134
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
They don't know, it's just one of those words thrown around to make people feel good. Like they were excluding some people before with the old logo.
Creating victims is at the apex of this newly found ideology (in the US). Victims are the fuel for this machine. You need people that are incapable of intellectual thought. Simply plop yourself in front of the television, in a pie-eyed stupor, and nod in agreement as if you are in a trance.

To each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #135
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
It must have been scaring the other companies with its two large capital letters
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #136
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
BS, aka corporate virtue signaling at its worst. Probably some PR/legal folks came up with trendy verbiage that must be presented with a certain frequency to maximize prospect acceptance. Needless to say, the target audience is unlikely to be the majority of camaro6 members.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote