Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
New Owner question

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my '13 2SS/RS to a '13 ZL1 and could not be more excited. I owned an SRT8 300C. And though I loved that car I went back to where I belonged.... the LS platform. I have already done some aesthetic mods (Bezels, side markers and shift eliminator) and have ordered the Lingenfelter 650+HP kit and the ARH 1 7/8" LT headers, hi flo cats and x pipe. All of that should be in in a couple weeks and the guys at Lingenfelter were great and helped out a ton.

With the upgrades that will be going on I was wondering if a ported TB was really worth it. I know the throttle response is better but I have read that there are HP gains and also read there aren't. I don't want to drop the coin on something that isn't going to do anything.

Also, is a colder spark plug beneficial? The sales rep said that the kit I ordered is set up for the stock plugs and that staying with them would be more beneficial. Since the plugs are coming off for the headers I thought that I would throw them in when I do the headers.

I appreciate your responses!

FYI... Gen 5 WAY sweeter than Gen 6 IMHO
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would say skip the throttle body until or unless you go further with the mods.
The stock heat range plug will last a little longer but you could drop 1 range and be fine.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
If you are doing headers might want some heat socks for your plug wires. I have a ported throttle body and didn't really notice a difference. My favorite mod of all is the JDP blower spec 2 cam. The Btr 3 is a great cam as well. When your Z is lumping and everyone is going "Damn". It is pretty cool.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We've had great success with our VMAX throttle bodies, they are an easy upgrade and will give you better throttle response combined with 15whp~20whp.
It would definitely compliment your Lingenfelter package.
At your power level, I will agree with Redlineviper that the heat range of the stock plug will suffice and won't see many benefits of going to a colder plug yet. However, as owhite3003 mentioned, the increased underhood heat created by the headers will put extra stress on the spark plug wires. I would recommend one of our JDP Spec Spark Plug Wire set with Thermal Socks to ensure reliability.
Let me know if I can help you out, don't be afraid to shoot us a PM, Email, or phone call.
Kind regards,
-Adrian

Last edited by JDP Sales; 08-03-2015 at 06:58 PM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote