#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #15
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Hes disappointed not in the 83 HP but what that shop charged for said 83 HP. I feel your pain brother. These shops peddling these stage 1/2/3 packages for obscene money stings when you get it back and for the cash you could have had a maggie installed.

I got my maggie installed and tuned for like $8k all in. Im sure that stage 2 package was close if not more than that...

Actually in looking he probably paid about $10k for that...
We are a premium shop that has a large facility, state of the art technology, and a lot of good employees. Every customer has the option to go to a cheaper shop, we respect all customer opinions on what they choose to spend their hard earned money on.

Most of the time, we are able to price match what a lot of shops offer. There is a lot of competition that misleads their customers on what they are actually getting, and they think they are getting the same items as some of the higher end shops, this is not the case.

For example, our Stage 3 Head/Cam/Ported blower ZL1 package is a fully loaded package at $20,999. This comes with a warranty and every premium option for all components we touch in that package.

We also offer a competitive K-Spec Head/Cam package for the ZL1, this is a CNC head/cam package for the ZL1, that is very similar and makes close to the same power, for 40% less cost at $12,999.

The only difference between these two packages are parts costs. This shows that there is a substantial amount of value added when you opt for premium, American made components that will last the life of the car.

Katech has been around for 45 years for a reason, and we will continue to push out the quality that has always lead the industry.

Onto the power topic, LT4's make 650hp stock. This customer's vehicle made 517whp which comes out to a 20.5% drivetrain loss factor through an auto. We rate this Stage 2 package at 750HP.

At that same 20.5% drivetrain loss, this puts the estimated power to be at 596whp. At 600whp, this is making exactly the power that is advertised from this package. This also does not factor in the small percentage of error between weather conditions and other factors that can change dyno numbers...

Katech did not get the reputation it did from winning internet dyno sheet number contests. Our reputation is from winning professional races in sanctioned events over the history of our company.

If you want a sheet to impress friends, you can go to a generic dyno day and likely get a printout that reads 5-10% higher than what we spit out. It may be surprising, but this will not make you any faster when you are actually driving the car. A dyno is simply a tool for measuring the difference between start and finish, and nothing more.

We are always happy to answer any questions about our packages, and will continue to push out the Katech quality we are known for.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
ZLAV1N
Previously CS10SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
We are a premium shop that has a large facility, state of the art technology, and a lot of good employees. Every customer has the option to go to a cheaper shop, we respect all customer opinions on what they choose to spend their hard earned money on.

Most of the time, we are able to price match what a lot of shops offer. There is a lot of competition that misleads their customers on what they are actually getting, and they think they are getting the same items as some of the higher end shops, this is not the case.

For example, our Stage 3 Head/Cam/Ported blower ZL1 package is a fully loaded package at $20,999. This comes with a warranty and every premium option for all components we touch in that package.

We also offer a competitive K-Spec Head/Cam package for the ZL1, this is a CNC head/cam package for the ZL1, that is very similar and makes close to the same power, for 40% less cost at $12,999.

The only difference between these two packages are parts costs. This shows that there is a substantial amount of value added when you opt for premium, American made components that will last the life of the car.

Katech has been around for 45 years for a reason, and we will continue to push out the quality that has always lead the industry.

Onto the power topic, LT4's make 650hp stock. This customer's vehicle made 517whp which comes out to a 20.5% drivetrain loss factor through an auto. We rate this Stage 2 package at 750HP.

At that same 20.5% drivetrain loss, this puts the estimated power to be at 596whp. At 600whp, this is making exactly the power that is advertised from this package. This also does not factor in the small percentage of error between weather conditions and other factors that can change dyno numbers...

Katech did not get the reputation it did from winning internet dyno sheet number contests. Our reputation is from winning professional races in sanctioned events over the history of our company.

If you want a sheet to impress friends, you can go to a generic dyno day and likely get a printout that reads 5-10% higher than what we spit out. It may be surprising, but this will not make you any faster when you are actually driving the car. A dyno is simply a tool for measuring the difference between start and finish, and nothing more.

We are always happy to answer any questions about our packages, and will continue to push out the Katech quality we are known for.
And this is exactly why I chose Katech to work on my ZL1, I could not be happier with the results. Keep up the good work boys.
'96 300ZX - sold
'10 2SS/RS M6 455rwhp - sold
'13 ZL1 M6 720rwhp - sold
'17 ZL1 A10 930rwhp - Katech Built
ZLAV1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoun View Post
My buddy just did his 2022 ZL1 A10 with Katech and his was disappointed with the numbers and needed your guys opinion.

His Mod List:
-Ported Blower
-103 m TB
-Upper 2.3 Pulley
-Kooks Headers
-93 Engine Tune
-Roto-Fab Intake

His Baseline was 517rwhp and after MODS was 600rwhp given that he only gained 83rwhp from all those mods.

What do you guys think?
What were the final IPWs, rail pressures?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #18
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Hey Katech Zach, what would this same setup make if he set it up to run ethanol instead of 93?
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:03 PM   #19
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
Katech advertises their numbers so if some shop has a happy dyno use their baseline and add what his car gained from the mods. Simple bench race logic if that's what he is looking for. Katech is a big shop that has to look out for themselves. If you're a back yard mechanic with some knowledge that can read data you can easily put flex fuel on the car, put the factory pulley back on, put a JMS on, run E30-E40 and run circles around what it's doing now regardless of who put it together.
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #20
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:

This is your typical LONG WINDED "we add value" shop answer. The other shops out there doing it for half that are also doing it right with the correct parts and labor and doing it under the radar without the massive over hyped social media presence. And then you get their "look at me, I over paid and am proud of it let me put your sticker on my car" guys pumping these shops up trying to not look like they were taken to the cleaners.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can say that can justify a 2x cost delta from other shops doing the same work and getting the same results with the same parts. NOTHING.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #21
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Quote:
Im sorry man. I paid $6995 for my complete maggie kit. $1200 for the install at a local shop - they did amazing. And I paid $750 for Ted to remote tune it. My car made 695rwhp and 630rwtq on that shop's dyno while Ted and I were doing the tuning and logging.

I also resold my stock blower for $2400 locally...

So with the stock blower money back Im about $6500 all in. My car made 550 stock and I ended just shy of 700. +150hp for $6500 feels like a decent deal to me. 83hp for $10k seems like you got played by a shop with a big name. Hurts to see people getting this treatment.

in comparison a shop like RPM in delaware will do a stage 3 package for $11k and you get all this...

Stage 3 Package Includes Professional Installation of Listed Components :

- 2” American Racing Long Tube Headers w/ 3” Off-Road X-Pipe

- Roto-Fab "Big-Gulp" 5" Cold Air Intake

- RPM Custom LT4 AFM Delete Camshaft Package (Includes - RPM Custom Spec’d Cam w/ Increased Fuel Flow Lobe, Brian Tooley Racing Dual Valve Spring Kit, Brian Tooley Racing 3/8" Hardened Pushrods, ARP LT4 Head Stud Kit, GM Timing Chain, GM LS7 Lifters w/ GM Lifter Trays, GM MLS Cylinder Head Gaskets, Katech AFM Delete Valley Cover, AMP Gen V VVT Phaser Lockout, GM VVT Cam Bolt, GM Crank Bolt, GM Front Crank Pulley Seal, GM RTV Sealant, Mobil 1 Oil & Filter Change and NGK Spark Plugs

- ATI 15% Overdriven Harmonic Balancer w/ HD Supercharger Belt

- Custom Dyno Tune using HP Tuners

-Nick Williams 103mm Black Anodized Throttle Body +$715.00 - (Must be done in conjunction with Supercharger Porting)

2017+ Model Years w/ Automatic Transmission add $450.00
Sometimes I wish I had just gone this route. I'm sitting at over $8k in parts for my build already with another $3k+ to spend. No labor (doing the work myself). The car should make 800+ when finished. A 2650 Magnuson is just such a good cheap way to make power. I just really wanted cam chop though.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #22
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoun View Post
My buddy just did his 2022 ZL1 A10 with Katech and his was disappointed with the numbers and needed your guys opinion.

His Mod List:
-Ported Blower
-103 m TB
-Upper 2.3 Pulley
-Kooks Headers
-93 Engine Tune
-Roto-Fab Intake

His Baseline was 517rwhp and after MODS was 600rwhp given that he only gained 83rwhp from all those mods.

What do you guys think?
Considering Late Model Performance put a Kong X-Ported ZL1 blower on a CT5-V Blackwing and picked up 60whp WITHOUT a tune, I'd say this should've made more power. I don't think Katech ports the blower as much as Kong though.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter / fender tank, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, Elite E-2X catch can, and Griffin Motorsports front crash bar. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #23
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_blue_zl1_22 View Post
Sometimes I wish I had just gone this route. I'm sitting at over $8k in parts for my build already with another $3k+ to spend. No labor (doing the work myself). The car should make 800+ when finished. A 2650 Magnuson is just such a good cheap way to make power. I just really wanted cam chop though.
I've owned many many performance cars and always did the traditional routes of modding. The cheap stuff, just to get more sound or more whine or a small bump in HP. And having wasted countless amounts of money on buying parts, then having to remove those parts for more expensive parts or paying twice to have something done then done again to do what I should have did from the start, I decided to NOT do that with this ZL1.

The maggie is the end result for so many of us. But getting there is a multi $10k level spend that usually ends in a stack of parts we are selling for pennies on the dollar after the fact. I decided to just get the maggie first and then as I outgrow the fuel system, I would add what I need when I needed it and not skip out on anything if I was going to be in there at the same time. Meaning not doing heads if the heads have to come off to do a cam anyway and so on.

So here I am with the stock blower gone and sold, and full in with the maggie. Sure there are stock blower cars that can make more than 700 to the tire, but eventually thats going to end, or the heat they make limits them to a few pulls before they are losing 50-100hp to heat. The maggie is going to keep singing and keep being more efficient the more I push it.

I can always add the bigger TB/BG rotofab, headers, cam, ported heads and so on. But at least the maggie is on there and I got my monies worth from the stock blower. I feel $2400 for it with 3k miles on it was a screaming good sale price and good deal for the SS guy that bought it.

Recouping all the money with the savings of getting the parts on my own and choosing a shop that was half the price of the other big name shops, but just as capable was a very smart move. Sure I dont have a vengeance sticker or Katech sticker to put on my car as a badge of honor at car shows, but I do have a big stack of money though. And I can sure buy a lot of stickers with that...LOLOL
Old 12-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #24
SDF62

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I had Katech do a complete engine build for me about 2 years ago. Not one time have I ever regretted that decision. My car is tracked frequently and has been flawless. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I feel Katech is first rate. They can easily stand on their racing accolades alone! Take a look at whose engines are winning in TA2!
SDF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #25
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
This is your typical LONG WINDED "we add value" shop answer. The other shops out there doing it for half that are also doing it right with the correct parts and labor and doing it under the radar without the massive over hyped social media presence. And then you get their "look at me, I over paid and am proud of it let me put your sticker on my car" guys pumping these shops up trying to not look like they were taken to the cleaners.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can say that can justify a 2x cost delta from other shops doing the same work and getting the same results with the same parts. NOTHING.
Post a quote on here that uses the same parts as us that is 50% less than our pricing, and I will send you a free t-shirt
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #26
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Mike is right - KaTech is one of only a few top performance shops.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:44 PM   #27
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Quote:
I've owned many many performance cars and always did the traditional routes of modding. The cheap stuff, just to get more sound or more whine or a small bump in HP. And having wasted countless amounts of money on buying parts, then having to remove those parts for more expensive parts or paying twice to have something done then done again to do what I should have did from the start, I decided to NOT do that with this ZL1.

The maggie is the end result for so many of us. But getting there is a multi $10k level spend that usually ends in a stack of parts we are selling for pennies on the dollar after the fact. I decided to just get the maggie first and then as I outgrow the fuel system, I would add what I need when I needed it and not skip out on anything if I was going to be in there at the same time. Meaning not doing heads if the heads have to come off to do a cam anyway and so on.

So here I am with the stock blower gone and sold, and full in with the maggie. Sure there are stock blower cars that can make more than 700 to the tire, but eventually thats going to end, or the heat they make limits them to a few pulls before they are losing 50-100hp to heat. The maggie is going to keep singing and keep being more efficient the more I push it.

I can always add the bigger TB/BG rotofab, headers, cam, ported heads and so on. But at least the maggie is on there and I got my monies worth from the stock blower. I feel $2400 for it with 3k miles on it was a screaming good sale price and good deal for the SS guy that bought it.

Recouping all the money with the savings of getting the parts on my own and choosing a shop that was half the price of the other big name shops, but just as capable was a very smart move. Sure I dont have a vengeance sticker or Katech sticker to put on my car as a badge of honor at car shows, but I do have a big stack of money though. And I can sure buy a lot of stickers with that...LOLOL
I understand that, but I don't ever plan to go past 800 WHP. I ended up going with the boost freeze chiller to combat the heat soak from the stock blower. This is pretty much going to be my 1st and only build for power. If I had gone with the 2650 it would've been $5k more for the same power, so I decided against it. Yes, it has way more potential, but I won't ever use it. I could've spent less money, but I wanted a cam. I'm happy with my choices, but looking back at it I could have had a 2650 and made 750whp for $8k.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #28
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Post a quote on here that uses the same parts as us that is 50% less than our pricing, and I will send you a free t-shirt
I mean come on man.
Attached Images