Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
You got the job with State PD?? Congratulations man!! I remember we were talking about this (what, last year?) in another thread I posted.

Thank you kindly for the responses to every note I made! Tampa is pretty and so is Daytona. I'm probably gonna have to fly out there and drive all over Florida to check these places out in person. I'll definitely put Kissimme on the list too, just south of Orlando? Looks really close to Disney.

Well, you're about to trade 110 degree dry heat for 98 degrees and 90% humidity 9 months out of the year...so...

I didn't say I hated the heat. I'm usually just annoyed at how warm it is during the nighttime.

That won't be too hard to find, although every city in Florida has its rough areas. Property is way cheaper here too, my 1300 sq ft waterfront renovated house was $161k. Plus I'll be a state trooper in December so public safety is covered.

Oh for sure, I'm not too far from Mesa or Phoenix and there's some pretty bad areas there too. 161k??? That's cheaper than where I live, AND you're on waterfront? Not fair.

Florida is basically the Australia of the United States. We have snakes. We have spiders. We have mosquitoes. We have gators. The mosquitoes you can't really control, but most of the other stuff are really more scared of you than you are of them, unless something's wrong with them (gators or bears who have been fed by people). Then you need to call FWC fast.

Do you have those things everywhere though? (I know Mosquitoes are nasty, but we have'm here too). A scorpion here is like finding a foreign license plate. Gators don't quite scare me. You're allowed to open carry (or at least conceal) there right? Push comes to shove I wont be afraid to stop a gator from doing harm to anyone.

This doesn't exist. Unless you move out to super rural areas (which are all getting developed anyways), you're going to have to deal with traffic and tourists. Being within two hours of Disney will make that even worse.

Anything...ANYTHING has to be better than the garbage I have to deal with here with the snowbirds and retirees unless it's LA of course.
Yes I did, took a really long time but finally got through the process. We finish training this month and I get sworn in as an Auxiliary State Trooper on December 3rd.

It doesn't get much better at night here either. Although the past few days have been gorgeous after the hurricane blew through. Barely cracked 80 degrees.

There's a gator in the lake behind me. FWC can't find it every time they come out.

And no, you can't open carry in Florida. It's a big issue down here for 2A supporters actually. The concealed process is laughably easy though and it eliminates the wait period for handgun purchases.

Orlando is the tourist capital of the world so we get tourists and snowbirds and when they all get on I-4 at the same time, it's crash after crash after crash.

On that note, if you're still interested in law enforcement, we're in dire need of troopers here and I'm now a recruiter for the Auxiliary.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #16
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I've been to many, many parts of Florida. I like Disney World so that area would be decent. I'm not a beach person so that does nothing for me. Florida in general is hot, humid, and boring as hell for aggressive riding, not to mention the total lack of driving skill. It's ok to visit, but it's not for me. If I didn't ride and had other hobbies, it could be do able. Fort Pierce wasn't that far from Orlando. I've driven it numerous times.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #17
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Deland is nice and has a Small Town feel -between Orlando & Daytona

More to this side, Plant City is nice
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

I'd never live in Florida. Crappiest state there is if you like to ride a motorcycle other then a hardly ableson. I like curves and drastic elevation changes. West Virginia was particularly nice if I ever left PA for good. Indiana is particularly flat and boring as well, without the ocean and Disney World. So maybe there are places lower on my list then Florida. Lol
To each his own - I don't like cold weather and never had to shovel snow. As far as riding a motorcycle we have plenty of winding roads with beautiful oak trees. SR 13 parallels the St. Johns River and is a very scenic ride. And while you're shoveling snow this winter I'll be riding on A1A that parallels the Atlantic Ocean and stopping at FINNS Bar & Grill at Flagler Beach for a Grouper Sandwich & a Cold Bud!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
http://time.com/money/collection/bes...laces-to-live/

#8 best city in the USA, I love it here!

Hits your points except for #2, its 4 hrs away

Bobby
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickskier View Post
To each his own - I don't like cold weather and never had to shovel snow. As far as riding a motorcycle we have plenty of winding roads with beautiful oak trees. SR 13 parallels the St. Johns River and is a very scenic ride. And while you're shoveling snow this winter I'll be riding on A1A that parallels the Atlantic Ocean and stopping at FINNS Bar & Grill at Flagler Beach for a Grouper Sandwich & a Cold Bud!
As long as they fix A1A quickly. I'm glad Finns survived! That is a nice drive over there. Other Classic Drives are in the Claremont Hills, Tail of the Gecko, Ozello Trail, the Keys!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #21
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Winter is for snowmobile riding. Total blast. It doesn't snow enough actually anymore. You have to go into New England for decent snow riding. I shoveled once last year sadly. Roads in Florida are pathetic compared to the ones around here for riding a motorcycle.

Bud? Now I know you are trolling. Drink real beer man!!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Just move to Hawaii. It's way better than Florida
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #23
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Winter is for snowmobile riding. Total blast. It doesn't snow enough actually anymore. You have to go into New England for decent snow riding. I shoveled once last year sadly. Roads in Florida are pathetic compared to the ones around here for riding a motorcycle.

Bud? Now I know you are trolling. Drink real beer man!!!!
If I want to go snowmobile riding I would go to Colorado or Montana where the snow is real. We Floridian's love yankees like you. You come to visit our Beautiful State spend a lot of money and go home. Helps keep my property taxes low!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Just move to Hawaii. It's way better than Florida
And the cost of living is a lot higher! No state income tax in Florida.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #25
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
And the cost of living is a lot higher! No state income tax in Florida.
+1...

+Shave ice in both places
-No manapua trucks, noodle trucks, shave ice trucks, Loco Moco, Spam Fried rice, McDonald's Saimin in FL
+Beaches won't be packed in FL like they are in HI
-No Toilet Bowl in FL
-No surfing in FL like HI
-Can't drive to another state in HI
-You're a Hoalie in HI

Just a few differences...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #26
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
+1...

+Shave ice in both places
-No manapua trucks, noodle trucks, shave ice trucks, Loco Moco, Spam Fried rice, McDonald's Saimin in FL
+Beaches won't be packed in FL like they are in HI
-No Toilet Bowl in FL
-No surfing in FL like HI
-Can't drive to another state in HI
-You're a Hoalie in HI

Just a few differences...
worth it. Shave ice in Hawaii is way better. Beaches are too, and they aren't crowded if you know where to go.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #27
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
If I want to go snowmobile riding I would go to Colorado or Montana where the snow is real. We Floridian's love yankees like you. You come to visit our Beautiful State spend a lot of money and go home. Helps keep my property taxes low!
If Disney World was in Georgia, I'd never have to go there. As you said, to each thier own.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #28
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Hi everyone,

Before I start, just wanna say i'm praying for you all stuck in hurricane Matthew. I wish you a fast and safe recovery
On behalf of all those affected, thank you. Most of us only lost some trees and maybe a mailbox or sign in our yard. That said, many of my neighbors lost trees and had debris all over. I keep mine trimmed to the point nothing fell off and my yard was clean except for my neighbor's tree debris! LOL

I lost power for 5 days. That sucked, but the road is still in place here whereas it's destroyed in many spots by the coast. Keep that in mind when finding a home.

Quote:
So I've been thinking recently that I really want to move to inland Florida. I love Scottsdale, but it's too dry out here as well as many other reasons (who loves 110 degree heat?). Long story short, where do you think would be the best city in Florida for me based on the notes below?
1. No place will be like Scottsdale because humidity. It's worse by multitudes in basically all of Florida.

Crime is always a concern here as we have a serious drug problem across the state. There ARE nicer spots, but from my 40yrs or so of Florida, those are also exceedingly expensive, like 500k homes. 250k will be good, but you'll be close to high crime. Polite communities are also in very short supply, but 250k will get you a spacious (2500ish sqft or more) single family home in much.of Fl.

2. Give yourself a 2hr limit from Disney and prepare to spend AND deal with high crime, bad traffic, rude people or very rural with 2-lane rds all around and perhaps all the bad stuff as well.

3. Good.LUCK! No worries about tarantulas, but the brown recluse is no fun and there are other nasty biters too, not to mention bears (rarely a problem, but still deadly), snakes(cotton mouth, Eastern diamondback, coral, plus non indigenous rock and Burmese python and boa constructors and about 100 other non venomous and less deadly versions), scorpions, gators a handgun would be.lucky to kill... and many more critters.

4. You're in luck. Basically, no part of Florida is more than 70 miles from ocean.

5. Tourism(if I remember correctly) in FL ranks 2nd only to Ca. You'll deal with it anywhere within our borders. Less than expected depends on you expecting a ton of it, or just much worse than you're used to now! LOL

All that said, WEST COAST! Look around all over, but Tampa is great (except traffic and wretched crime all over plus a probability of sinkholes) and any area near it will be okay for weather, but FL gets rain you'll find STUNNING for 6-9 mo of the yr. Anything south and on the west coast, you'll enjoy... all the way down to Naples, imo. Just be prepared for humidity and believe us when we tell you, it feels worse than you're dealing with by far. However, it cools some at night!! I know it stayed in the upper 90's during summer in Dallas.

One other spot I'd consider is Lakeland. Traffic and crime are still an issue, but it's relatively close to Disneyworld and cheaper, plus there are jobs and nicer more secluded and rural areas near the city or between it and Orlando.

Sorry for such rambling, but I've lived in many areas of Florida, plus TX(dry heat) and I've also driven all over the US, so I have an opinion on the weather, crime, etc.

Recommendation: When you find an area you're interested in, ask by name and someone here will almost certainly have some insight on it. Also, when you finally decide, positively higher a real estate attorney before purchase and make sure the home is inspected thoroughly. You do not want to purchase a home and find out later that it has mold or termites. Those are both terrible in Florida. You also want to avoid areas where sinkholes are prevalent and sadly, that very well may include Tampa and nearby areas.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote