Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWH View Post
Oh, and Camaro was handicapped much more than 2yrs. It finally took an annual sales lead(as the graph shows) in 1977... way after it was born, but ironically... when Smokey and the Bandit made it a cult icon kind of car.
Smokey and the Bandit had no influence on the Camaro, that was the Trans Am.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #30
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Can we just quit using the rental fleet thing as a reason for strong sales of the Mustang? It has averaged 11,000 sold per month YTD. They don't make rental deals every month.
I call it how I see it and in MY neck of the woods that's how it is. It may not be the only or even the main reason for mustangs explosive sales each month since the new model's release but it sure doesn't hurt either. I would like to see the break down of retail to fleet sales of the new models for my own curiosity.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:57 AM   #31
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I call it how I see it and in MY neck of the woods that's how it is. It may not be the only or even the main reason for mustangs explosive sales each month since the new model's release but it sure doesn't hurt either. I would like to see the break down of retail to fleet sales of the new models for my own curiosity.
A break down of units sold would just about do that for us.

I think it would go something like this:

V6 = Rental Fleet

I4T = Sales leader to Consumers

V8 = Lowest production #s

I like how the one article says wait for the GT350 models then watch sales soar.

These will be very low production just like the Z/28 the ZL1.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #32
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
As a car guy I see nothing but positives.

Challenger sales are up without pulling down sales of the other two. It's not like 2009 when Mustang sales plummeted as soon as the Camaro became available.

Camaro is sitting at 7k units avg per month in 2015--thats right in line with the past 8 years. It's not the latest thing anymore nor has it had the massive ad campaign like Dodge ran last year.

Ford's new Mustang is selling better--AS IT SHOULD. I think it looks like a$$ but its far from the worst body they've crapped out over the years. Mustang definitely has the luxury of selling on name alone.

So overall it's safe to say this segment isn't going anywhere.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #33
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
4 months (well) over 10k sales for the Mustang, very impressive! That's about all this chart shows us... the new generation Mustang outselling the prior generation by far... so far.

Can't wait to see if the enthusiasm for the 6th gen Camaro is as high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
(How about that, another car from my childhood that stood for the 'little guy' and fought against the corrupt 'powers that be', all while wearing the confederate flag.)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #34
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post

(How about that, another car from my childhood that stood for the 'little guy' and fought against the corrupt 'powers that be', all while wearing the confederate flag.)
You took the words right out of my mouth.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #35
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Here in the rental car capital of the world almost every other Camaro is a rental. By your logic the only reason Camaro is selling at all at this point is to rental fleets.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #36
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Yeah, because, as we all know, there's no possible chance that the most capable F-body available couldn't impact sales of the far, far less expensive models in the lineup.

If you think that movie didn't affect sales then, you weren't even alive then. Trust that it did. That move expressly led me to my 1st Camaro and the reason it wasn't a 400 or 403ci T/A was only, and I mean only, that I couldn't afford the good ones!

Quote:
Fleet sales tend to happen in bulk, while deliveries may happen gradually. As I read recently, no fleet sales even happened in June, for any of the Big3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
I like how the one article says wait for the GT350 models then watch sales soar.

These will be very low production just like the Z/28 the ZL1.
It will be a very low volume, as they were and, as they did, it will affect sales because it draws people into the showrooms. It's been like this basically forever. As (I think it was) Carroll Shelby famously said, "Build it and they will come."

Of course, I don't see a major + change in Mustang sales, but that's because it's really doing as well as can be expected as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
As a car guy I see nothing but positives.

Challenger sales are up without pulling down sales of the other two. It's not like 2009 when Mustang sales plummeted as soon as the Camaro became available.

Camaro is sitting at 7k units avg per month in 2015--thats right in line with the past 8 years. It's not the latest thing anymore nor has it had the massive ad campaign like Dodge ran last year.

So overall it's safe to say this segment isn't going anywhere.
There ya go! Except... not 8yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
4 months (well) over 10k sales for the Mustang, very impressive! That's about all this chart shows us... the new generation Mustang outselling the prior generation by far... so far.

Can't wait to see if the enthusiasm for the 6th gen Camaro is as high.

One can hope, but looking @ 5th gen sales, it isn't likely to be quite there. It will be good though, I'm positive. Well, unless pricing is out of hand. On that note, the smaller engine options will still be considered "affordable" across the board, so sales should be fine.

The flag, by the way... was used in that setting to depict a rebel against the law as opposed to a hero. After all, the script clearly told us the goal was to break laws.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #37
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Yeah, because, as we all know, there's no possible chance that the most capable F-body available couldn't impact sales of the far, far less expensive models in the lineup.

If you think that movie didn't affect sales then, you weren't even alive then. Trust that it did. That move expressly led me to my 1st Camaro and the reason it wasn't a 400 or 403ci T/A was only, and I mean only, that I couldn't afford the good ones.
I was 24 years old when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I disagree with you whole heartedly. Not one person I knew associated that movie with the Camaro. I never heard anyone when they saw a Camaro say, "Hey a Smokey and the Bandit car", but I did hear them say it about Firebirds and Trans Ams especially the black ones. There were less expensive Firebirds too, nobody had to settle for a Camaro if they wanted a Smokey and the Bandit car, those sales were what were influenced by the movie not the Camaro's.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #38
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
I was 25 years old when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I disagree with you whole heartedly. Not one person I knew associated that movie with the Camaro. I never heard anyone when they saw a Camaro say, "Hey a Smokey and the Bandit car", but I did hear them say it about Firebirds and Trans Ams especially the black ones. There were less expensive Firebirds too, nobody had to settle for a Camaro if they wanted a Smokey and the Bandit car, those sales were what were influenced by the movie not the Camaro's.
smokey and the bandit was all about trans ams.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #39
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Glad to see Mustang numbers still up.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #40
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Fleet sales tend to happen in bulk, while deliveries may happen gradually. As I read recently, no fleet sales even happened in June, for any of the Big3.
Every month manufacturers sell some volume to fleet. From GM for June 2015:

Quote:
Fleet and Commercial
  • Commercial deliveries were up 4 percent in June, with full-size pickups up 18 percent. Through June, commercial deliveries have grown year over year for 20 consecutive months and they are up 20 percent calendar year to date.
  • State and local government sales were up 6 percent in June, with full-size pickup and Tahoe PPV deliveries more than doubling. State and local government sales are up 19 percent calendar year to date.
  • Rental deliveries in June were down 45 percent, per plan. Through the first six months of 2015, rental deliveries are down 7 percent, per plan. Total fleet deliveries are up calendar year to date.
  • GM plans to reduce year-over-year rental deliveries in the second half of 2015 and in calendar year 2016.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #41
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
I was 24 years old when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I disagree with you whole heartedly. Not one person I knew associated that movie with the Camaro. I never heard anyone when they saw a Camaro say, "Hey a Smokey and the Bandit car", but I did hear them say it about Firebirds and Trans Ams especially the black ones. There were less expensive Firebirds too, nobody had to settle for a Camaro if they wanted a Smokey and the Bandit car, those sales were what were influenced by the movie not the Camaro's.
Okay... it just blasted over previous years sales for no apparent reason.

Even the '76 was "busy" for the era, but 77 beat that by over 35,000 units, en route the busiest time ever for Camaro... and all F-body. With exception of the 1st gen and 1984, the 77-79 was alone in terms of sales and I think that goes for Firebird as well. I think 1980 would've been much better too, but for the Fox body, plus a turbo 4cyl. and people feeling the pinch of .80 cent gasoline(oh, so long ago).

My view is, 1977, 78 and 79 sales were huge and the movie waned. The 1980 movie wasn't so good and the competition had changed, but in 1983, part 3 came out and again, F-body sales shot through the roof. None of it matters now anyway, as we're just comparing sales numbers of 2 brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
smokey and the bandit was all about trans ams.
It was about the T/A ... which was about the F-body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Every month manufacturers sell some volume to fleet. From GM for June 2015:
Okay... so there's only 1 explanation... it really did only sell to fleets!

What I read was wrong. Even so, I'm betting fleet sales have nothing to do with it at this point.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #42
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Okay... it just blasted over previous years sales for no apparent reason.

Even the '76 was "busy" for the era, but 77 beat that by over 35,000 units, en route the busiest time ever for Camaro... and all F-body. With exception of the 1st gen and 1984, the 77-79 was alone in terms of sales and I think that goes for Firebird as well. I think 1980 would've been much better too, but for the Fox body, plus a turbo 4cyl. and people feeling the pinch of .80 cent gasoline(oh, so long ago).

My view is, 1977, 78 and 79 sales were huge and the movie waned. The 1980 movie wasn't so good and the competition had changed, but in 1983, part 3 came out and again, F-body sales shot through the roof. None of it matters now anyway, as we're just comparing sales numbers of 2 brands.
It was about the T/A ... which was about the F-body.

Okay... so there's only 1 explanation... it really did only sell to fleets!

What I read was wrong. Even so, I'm betting fleet sales have nothing to do with it at this point.
I think 76 had the return of the Rally Sport, and did you also note that the Z28 made its return in 77? Also the Jump in sales in 78 was probably due to the introduction of T-tops, and the change of the front and rear bumper from the ugly aluminum from 74-77. It had nothing to do with the movie as much as you want it to be. Not to mention the recession and gas shortage the country was going through in 74 and 75.
By the way Smokey and the Bandit 2 was a disappointment and 3 was a huge failure.