Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #85
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Understood, but to say that the engines don't/won't last is where I think it gets a little mis-matched in the discussions. Just because the engine wasn't afforded the opportunity to log those miles doesn't mean it couldn't.

The 2014/2015 Silverado's were tested with both the 5.3L and the 6.2L while towing and found to produce roughly the same MPG (1500 4x4, towing about 2500-3000 lbs trailer). With no trailer, the 5.3L could eke out a touch better MPG as long as you were on level roads. Otherwise, the 6.2L would end up besting it in MPG ratings and have power for days when you needed it.

People love to go on and on about how great their little 4-banger does on gas. Sure, if all you're doing is going to get groceries. Wind those squirrels up and send them out to play on an Interstate and tell me how great they are when you get the feeling back in your knuckles.
CSB engines in general had a good reputation and as mentioned, there are definitely examples with the engine running a lot of miles.

4-cylinder engines are more efficient in stop-and-go traffic, where idling comes into the equation and that's somewhat proportional to the engine displacement. On highways, yeah modern small blocks are not bad at all for the power they make.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #86
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

4-cylinder engines are more efficient in stop-and-go traffic, where idling comes into the equation and that's somewhat proportional to the engine displacement. On highways, yeah modern small blocks are not bad at all for the power they make.
Agree 100%.

The place where a small car with a small engine is going to get a big improvement in MPG's over a bigger/more powerful V8 car is around town and in slower speed zones where your V8 vehicle isn't in its final overdrive gear. Really both LS and LT are pretty lousy in the MPG department around town unless you just drive very conservatively. You get on the interstate and set your cruise around 75-80 MPH and in certain cases (mainly Vette) you can get 30+ MPH. I would get high 20's on the interstate in my 02 SS if I was disciplined enough to stay in 6th with my CC set, and back in the late 90's/early 00's MPG's weren't even a huge priority. (being pre-CAFE)

When I was dating my wife she had a 2010 Civic EX. With me in my 02 SS and her following me I'd set my cruise at like 80 MPH and be riding at about 2,000 RPM's not realizing she was having to drive her car hard to keep up. On a steep uphill my SS wouldn't be phased by it while riding with my cruise set, but for her car to keep pace she'd have to give it some gas and downshift on some of the steeper hills to maintain 80'ish MPH. I remember driving it with her on a trip one time thinking, "this thing is an underpowered POS, but around town it was great. But to go over 70 or so MPH on the highway it was constantly shifting up and down. Very annoying when you're used to driving powerful V8 cars and trucks. Once we rented a Kia Soul, and I don't think that POS even had a third of the power a stock LS1 has, and probably a quarter the power as a GEN5 LT1. That this was so freaking slow that I couldn't believe a 2015 model vehicle was that underpowered.

Now my wife has a Taurus SEL and while not the fastest thing it's got decent highway pull, and is a very comfortable cruiser on the highway, and has no issues pulling its weight up hills without demanding downshifts. What I'm really impressed with with it is how good a MPG it gets. It uses the N/A 3.5L motor the Ecoboost is based on, and its a 4400 lb car, and that SOB will give you damn near, if not 30+ MPG's on the interstate, and around town it gets way better mileage than any of the muscle cars I've ever owned. I've been very pleased with that car since buying it.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #87
Soon2be 21SS

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
AFM or DFM 2021 SS Camaro

Hey guys. I ordered a 2SS convertible January 12. Unfortunately the chip shortage has affected delivery. I am stuck on 3400. I have been reading about AFM and DFM and have a question.

Updated DFM technology started in 2019 with the Chevy trucks. I have not been able to find any GM information indicating whether the 2021 SS Camaro has AFM or DFM. Do you know if AFM when switching to four cylinders goes to the same four cylinders each time or does the computer vary which four cylinders remain active?
Thanks for the help. This forum has provided a lot of information that has been both helpful and interesting. Hopefully I will be able to include a picture soon.
Soon2be 21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:50 PM   #88
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2be 21SS View Post
Hey guys. I ordered a 2SS convertible January 12. Unfortunately the chip shortage has affected delivery. I am stuck on 3400. I have been reading about AFM and DFM and have a question.

Updated DFM technology started in 2019 with the Chevy trucks. I have not been able to find any GM information indicating whether the 2021 SS Camaro has AFM or DFM. Do you know if AFM when switching to four cylinders goes to the same four cylinders each time or does the computer vary which four cylinders remain active?
Thanks for the help. This forum has provided a lot of information that has been both helpful and interesting. Hopefully I will be able to include a picture soon.
Camaro has AFM. Same 4 cylinders (or same 2 for the V6) deactivate each time. Welcome to Camaro6!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #89
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2be 21SS View Post

Martinjlm got the answer, though I doubt they'd switch to DFM in this generation. I see them doing it for next gen whatever it's future is
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #90
Soon2be 21SS

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Thanks for the quick reply. May have to think about trying to change my order to a manual! Or better yet a ZL1.
Soon2be 21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #91
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
DFM includes the stop/start crap where the motor turns off when the vehicle stops moving for a few seconds (red lights, stop signs, intersections where you're waiting to turn, etc.).

Thankfully, there's a DFM defeat button in the trucks so you can immediately turn it off when you start the engine. That feature has almost gotten me t-boned in a few rental cars because I'm ready to pull into traffic but the car isn't...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #92
WorthFlorida

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS Convertiable
2007 was the first year for AFM and yes there were problems early on. Some 2012 and 13 models years some claim problems. About 10 million vehicles GM has had AFM and now DFM. I never once felt a change from V4 to V8 mode or V8 to V4. If it wasn't for the DCI you would never know what mode you're in. MY 2012 SIlverado now with 82K on the clock, zero issues. 5.3L 6 speed auto
WorthFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #93
Cyrus

Drives: 50th 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
2007 was the first year for AFM and yes there were problems early on. Some 2012 and 13 models years some claim problems. About 10 million vehicles GM has had AFM and now DFM. I never once felt a change from V4 to V8 mode or V8 to V4. If it wasn't for the DCI you would never know what mode you're in. MY 2012 SIlverado now with 82K on the clock, zero issues. 5.3L 6 speed auto
My 2006 Monte Carlo SS had AFM if thats the same as displacement on demand.
50th Anniversary, 2SS, Build#5771, A8, MRC, NPP, NAV, Sunroof, GM Performance CAI, Trifecta Tuned, GM splash guards, Black illuminated bowtie, GM smoked tail lights & third brake light, GM Fifty floor mats, Strut tower brace, JWM side markers, 20% window tint, Sto N Sho front license plate bracket
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #94
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
The 5.3L was redesigned for the 2014 MY GM trucks and has, overall, been even more reliable. The gen you have had more instances of issues where the engine would end up burning oil but that has largely been addressed in the version of the 5.3L they have been using since.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #95
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
CSB engines in general had a good reputation and as mentioned, there are definitely examples with the engine running a lot of miles.

Corvette and Camaro/Firebird/TA small block equipped owners have been getting well over 20 mpg highway since the 80s.

Some 4th gen f-body small block owners report over 30 mpg highway.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #96
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
DFM includes the stop/start crap where the motor turns off when the vehicle stops moving for a few seconds (red lights, stop signs, intersections where you're waiting to turn, etc.).

Thankfully, there's a DFM defeat button in the trucks so you can immediately turn it off when you start the engine. That feature has almost gotten me t-boned in a few rental cars because I'm ready to pull into traffic but the car isn't...
Two separate technologies. Stop/Start turns the vehicle off at stops. DFM reduces active cylinders during operation. They are not connected to each other. There is in most vehicles a defeat switch for Stop/Start. I know of no such switch for DFM. If there was, GM would not get EPA credit for the fuel economy saved by putting it on the vehicle.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #97
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
My 2006 Monte Carlo SS had AFM if thats the same as displacement on demand.
Doesn’t seem right. We added it in trucks and utilities in 2007 as far as I remember. Cars came a couple years later. AFM = Displacement on Demand. It wasn’t called AFM until a few years into it.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #98
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Two separate technologies. Stop/Start turns the vehicle off at stops. DFM reduces active cylinders during operation. They are not connected to each other. There is in most vehicles a defeat switch for Stop/Start. I know of no such switch for DFM. If there was, GM would not get EPA credit for the fuel economy saved by putting it on the vehicle.
Hmmm.. Good to know. Some owners of current DFM engined GM's described it to me differently AND stated there was a button on the dash to disable it once the vehicle was started.

Stop/Start can be disabled after startup by cruising about 16 levels deep into the software menus every single time.