Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
ih82lose

Drives: 2018 Corvette
Thinking of getting a New ZL1

So i come from owning Corvettes as a Sunday Extra car. I currently have a 2018 Sting ray convertible. I am looking for something easier to get in and out of (I have Bad Knees) I would be interested in a ZL1 Convertable and my question is ,is this a car you can jump in and take a 1200 mile trip in or is it more meant for racing ? I am also just noticing the trunk looks tiny with top down. Does the rear seat fold down to use for a suit case or 2

I joined awhile ago thinking I was going to get a camaro but the dealers I was talking to were all full of them selfs with the new cars coming out and I ended up getting another Vette instead
ih82lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #2
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
I own both a C7 Z06 and a gen 6 ZL1. I find the ZL1 to be quite comfortable for all day drives. I have not taken a multi day trip in it but think that it would be fine. To me, the ZL1 is easier to get in and out of.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Callaway_1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 convertible
I have a 2018 ZL1 convertible. You could jump in and drive 1200 miles as comfortably as any car.
The trunk is tiny.
The back seat does not fold down. That is where I would put luggage that does not fit in the trunk.
I haven't been in a late model corvette, I don't know if the ZL1 is much easier to get in and out of.
But I LOVE my ZL1 'vert!
Callaway_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Recaro seats in the ZL1s are comfortable once they get broken in to your body shape and weight and are very supportive to the lower back. If trunk space is a concern I would get a coupe with a sunroof and then you would have space for some things with or without the rear seat back folded down. Just my idea for you. Good luck and whichever model you choose will be a good decision!��
Old 03-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
The Camaro is easier to get out of than the Vette but it’s still a low car and not that easy to get out of compared to normal cars.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I bought my car from an Orlando Mercedes dealer. The first thing the dealer told me was the guy that traded it in said he had to because the ZL1 was too hard to get in and out of everyday. Was a gentleman in his 60s with a bag back and bad knees. I can't imagine a ZL1 being any easier to deal with when you are already complaining if this in a Corvette. Unfortunately, it may be time to find an alternative sports car. Outside of that the only way you can know is to go test drive one.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih82lose View Post
So i come from owning Corvettes as a Sunday Extra car. I currently have a 2018 Sting ray convertible. I am looking for something easier to get in and out of (I have Bad Knees) I would be interested in a ZL1 Convertable and my question is ,is this a car you can jump in and take a 1200 mile trip in or is it more meant for racing ? I am also just noticing the trunk looks tiny with top down. Does the rear seat fold down to use for a suit case or 2
The ZL1-1LE is the race car.

The ZL1 Convertible is an awesome grand tourer. I would have no problem with an extended multi-hour drive. The MRC and coil springs make for a very comfortable ride in most modes vs. a vette. The Recaro seats are excellent. Seat bolsters, however, are not movable and may be snug if you're over a coat size 46.

The Z vert is not much easier to get into or out of than a Corvette, IMO. The seats may be a touch higher up but not by much (although they can be raised quite a bit). But with the top down you can pretty much walk into the car and sit down while holding the windshield frame and top of the steering wheel. Recommend you try before you buy. You may like what you see.

The back seat is your primary luggage compartment. Access is easy when you put the top down! The back seats do not fold down in the vert, as the hydraulics for the top are located behind the rear seats. The trunk access hole is rather small, so you may find it easier just to have more pieces of smaller luggage than a single giant suitcase. In a pinch you can get access to the trunk with the tonneau up (raise/lower the top part-way) but if you can drop $70 large on a new Z vert, you toss in a hundred more for a new bag.

Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
The Z vert is a really comfortable car, great seats and lots of options to adjust your driving position. The mag ride is awesome. However, I would not recommend it to someone with a bad back or bad knees. Between the seat bolstering, side skirts and long doors it’s not “easy” to get in and out of. I can tell you for certain that the SS is much better choice. If anything, I would try the SS vert out... it has the same mag ride and driver adjustability with less bolstering/ no side skirts to navigate around.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Have a 2015 z06 z07 pkg vette a 2018 zl1 1le and a 2018 ss 1le. The camaros are definitely easier to get in and out of. I flew from NH to TN to buy the ss 1le and drove it home. My Dad (72 at the time) commented on how nice it was to ride in. We drove from Bristol TN to his house in Dover Plains NY straight only stopped 7 times for fuel Avg 11 mpg (its a long way from stock which is why I bought it) I would drive the vette long distance if I knew I would not run into rain but getting out isn't as easy especially with comp seats. The camaro in tour mode is like a caddy.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
The ZL1 is comfortable once you're inside but it's not the easiest to get in and out of.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
The secret for me to getting out is to first move the seat the entire way back. Then twist your entire body 90 degrees to the left and push off and get out.
Getting in is similar. Sit in the seat with your back towards the center console, then pivot 90 degrees to the left and adjust the seat.
Easier than a Corvette but not as easy as most non sporting cars.

It is comfortable. I would not hesitate to go cross country in it. And I am almost 68, overweight, and knees and back are not what they used to be. However, my Z does not have a sunroof which affects the height
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The ZL1 is comfortable once you're inside but it's not the easiest to get in and out of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
The secret for me to getting out is to first move the seat the entire way back. Then twist your entire body 90 degrees to the left and push off and get out.
Getting in is similar. Sit in the seat with your back towards the center console, then pivot 90 degrees to the left and adjust the seat.
Easier than a Corvette but not as easy as most non sporting cars.

It is comfortable. I would not hesitate to go cross country in it. And I am almost 68, overweight, and knees and back are not what they used to be. However, my Z does not have a sunroof which affects the height
All true, but I've found the exit position memory and the associated optional auto recall feature super helpful. I set it up to push the seat back and up almost all the way, which makes ingress and egress that much easier.

Plus, as a perk, the seat slides back to "racing position" once I touch the start button, pretty , it completes the awesome cockpit feel.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
All true, but I've found the exit position memory and the associated optional auto recall feature super helpful. I set it up to push the seat back and up almost all the way, which makes ingress and egress that much easier.

Plus, as a perk, the seat slides back to "racing position" once I touch the start button, pretty , it completes the awesome cockpit feel.
Agreed it does help exit with the seat at a higher position. I keep mine pretty low because of my height. Beyond that, the inner door panel protrude some so its hard to keep my feet from touching them, same with the door sill panels.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #14
ih82lose

Drives: 2018 Corvette
Thank you every one for the insite. There is one kinda close so we are going to take a ride to see it and try to climb in and out . Carvana Made me an offer I cant refuse on my corvette. So its now or never
ih82lose is offline   Reply With Quote