Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Spectrum Lighting without dealer/OEM chips

I’ve wanted the spectrum lighting that is in so many 6th gen owners cars since the 6th gen came out. I saw the prices for the kit and then got quotes on having the dealer install them would be over $1k. So when I saw someone on FaceBook selling just the silver lighting pieces I had an idea of making a sort of DIY spectrum lighting setup.

Bought the silver pieces from a guy for $200, the center console light piece for $35 from a parts site, and 2 eBay kits “optical RGB car lights” for $35 each. Shipping for the eBay stuff took a while no surprise, but I think it’s worth it.

I took inspiration from Gen6Trek’s thread on adding plain white lighting and essentially did that but with controllable RGB. It is through a Chinese app that is simple but gets the job done nicely and the dev seems to still be updating it. It seems like his app is the one used across most, if not all RGB kits with iOS app control off eBay and Amazon.

I bought 2 eBay kits simply to imitate the 2019+ spectrum lighting feature as Oramac2016 suggested to me. I’m pretty sure he’s done this exact thing but to my knowledge hasn’t done the two-tone accents yet. I have tested the two kits with the app and it does let me select different options for the two kits independently and can be linked as one

The only downside is I have the 7” IOB radio so no radio lights if I had the 8” I would totally be able to get some wires up there. I have yet to install but it works and hopefully, I have time this weekend to tear apart the doors and center console. I think my best bet is splicing into the center console aux power and storing the bulk of the wires and two little boxes underneath the actual center console.

Let me know what you guys think! I’m just excited about this. On a side note, I have 9 of the OEM RGB chips sitting in a cup. A kind member gave me their set of chips a while back with the intent of me trying to get them to work but as usual OEM pieces are to be used with only OEM software :(

Parts

Center Console Cups Light Piece
5 LED eBay kit
4 LED eBay kit (I will only use 3 from one and 2 from the other but I went with the cheapest options at the time, maybe I can retrofit the others for lights in the footwell)
Attached Images

Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 05-27-2020 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added two tone picture
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 PM   #2
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I like it. Been wanting to do "Tron" lighting in my car for awhile now. Throw up some more pics if you got em.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I'm trying to reverse engineer how the original OEM chips work so they may be useful in the future. I think I'm getting close to figuring them out now. I'm amazed at how horrendously complex GM made this lighting system.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Haven’t had time to install but I think this weekend will be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGoaliePaul View Post
I'm trying to reverse engineer how the original OEM chips work so they may be useful in the future. I think I'm getting close to figuring them out now. I'm amazed at how horrendously complex GM made this lighting system.
If you figure it out, do post about it. Would love to see how they tick

Old 06-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

It took a while but I've done it.

I put most the videos/pictures I took on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/****...2960372780142/

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 06-08-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Tags
diy, rgb, spectrum lighting