Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I wouldn't think twice about the manual V6, it'll be more fun and engaging to drive.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Expect your MPG's to drop if you decide to go V6/M6 as you will lose the cylinder deactivation with the manual. EPA rates the A8 2 MPG better overall...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
The only problem I have had is shift rattle and there is a fix for it but it really doesn't bother me.
The shifter rattle is the shifter knob and very easy to fix, and once its fixed its done. it doesn't come back. The manual V6 car is a honey, no issues what so ever. Car gets 31 32 mpg very easily. There is no sweet spot for the manual, it loves all the RPM ranges. The only thing you have to remember on this particular set up and gear ratios in the transmission is 5th gear is 1 to 1 or like 4th gear in any other manual GM car. There is only 1 overdrive 6th gear.

At low low speeds, (as long as the car is rolling), use 2nd gear not first. You will also find out as you get used to the manual gear ratios, you can easily go from 3rd right to 5th which is 1 to 1 (your typical 4th gear in any other manual) and into 6th at 40 - 50 mph.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #18
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
The V6/M6 MPG suffers mainly in city driving as this combo is EPA rated at only 16 MPG city. On the plus side this is on 87 octane fuel....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
The V6/M6 MPG suffers mainly in city driving as this combo is EPA rated at only 16 MPG city. On the plus side this is on 87 octane fuel....
Not in real life, I cannot get less than 23mpg real world driving in all conditions. Always in the high 20's most of the time, easy 31 32 on the hi way.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #20
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
RS v6 A8-- 27-37 street, mixed hwy-street; depending what I was doing.
Highway, full load on board with wife, 28-30.
SS A8 28-33 mixed--hwy typically 31 with a leashed right foot. Turned loose, 27.
Checked the display mileage to actual, it's accurate right to the 0.1 mpg, really consistent and real world.
Both fed premium gas. The SS when i got it was showing eight (8) mpg, so I can imagine the first 100 miles on it were really hot lunches from the dayam salesmen.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #21
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Anyone have experience going from the A8 to a manual? If my A8 transmission problem is not resolved I am going to get rid of the car. I am considering trading it for one with M/T- perhaps even a convertible. I have not heard of any problems with the manual transmission cars- are there any issues? How do the two cars compare- does the manual have more pep and will it get the same MPG as my A8? My A8 is loafing most of between 1500 and 2500 RPM and I get really good MPG- 30 to 33 MPG. Is there a sweet spot for the V6 when shifting manually? I use the car for commuting and I want to keep the V6, no SS or turbo 4 as they need premium fuel. I would not even consider staying with GM due to the tranny issue but I really do love the Gen 6 Camaros- and love everything about mine- except for the darn bad A8 tranny.
I just picked up an LT RS V6 manual and really like it. The trans is the Tremec 3160 (I think that's the model #) and is the same trans used in the GT350 (so it can take some power). It is notchy, like the 6060. I am not aware of any major flaws with the trans. To me, the V6 with a manual makes a great sports car. It likes to rev, has a great sound, and is very engaging and fun to drive.

I've never driven a 6th gen Camaro A8, but I had a current gen CTS-V with the same trans. That transmission was the downfall for that car. Huge power from the LT4 but I just did not like how the trans shifted. Strangely, it was best on a track in full auto mode. It would bang shifts and almost always be in the right gear when you stand on it, but where can you do that on the street? I've had several high HP GM cars (Z06s, CTS-Vs) and love them for what they are, but I guess I've learned that there are so few places to use the power that it makes driving them on the street less 'fun'. I'd love an SS for the sound and grunt, but this V6 is a screamer and really fun to drive. If you can find a V6 manual to test drive I think you'd like it.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #22
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I drove manuals for decades before being forced into an automatic in my minivan period. Yes, it's what parents do when they are taking hoards of kids to events or moving them to college.

My experience with manuals was actually very good as long as they were German cars. I then had 3 GM vehicles with manuals. The clutches were all noisy when disengaged, grabby, and short lived. One of the three had chronic 2nd gear crunch and difficulty shifting into reverse. Another went through a clutch master cylinder every year. And this was before GM went back to the stone age practice of combining the brake and clutch hydraulics into one system. That is just nuts.

So when it came time to buy a Camaro, I didn't hesitate to buy an automatic. I have had GM automatics that worked reliably for over 200,000 miles with no maintenance of any kind. Now I hear horror stories about the A8, and that is surprising.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I drove manuals for decades before being forced into an automatic in my minivan period. Yes, it's what parents do when they are taking hoards of kids to events or moving them to college.

My experience with manuals was actually very good as long as they were German cars. I then had 3 GM vehicles with manuals. The clutches were all noisy when disengaged, grabby, and short lived. One of the three had chronic 2nd gear crunch and difficulty shifting into reverse. Another went through a clutch master cylinder every year. And this was before GM went back to the stone age practice of combining the brake and clutch hydraulics into one system. That is just nuts.

So when it came time to buy a Camaro, I didn't hesitate to buy an automatic. I have had GM automatics that worked reliably for over 200,000 miles with no maintenance of any kind. Now I hear horror stories about the A8, and that is surprising.
The old 4 speed Hydramatics were pretty much indestructible. Little or no electronic/computer management or operation.

The 8 speed A8 is full of solenoids, switches, and electronics. One of the reasons I’ll never own an automatic from any manufacturer for the rest of my life.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The old 4 speed Hydramatics were pretty much indestructible. Little or no electronic/computer management or operation.

The 8 speed A8 is full of solenoids, switches, and electronics. One of the reasons I’ll never own an automatic from any manufacturer for the rest of my life.
The last automatic that I took over 200,000 miles with no maintenance was in a previous generation Chevy Equinox. The engine and A5 transmission were made by Honda, oddly enough.

Now I have a Gen5 Camaro with A6. It is electronically controlled just like the newer A8. No problems as of 65,000 miles.

A lot of the problems I have read about concerning the A8 sound like control system artifacts, not mechanical or electrical breakdowns. TC lockup and cylinder deactivation seem to not play well together. Flushing the transmission just tweaks the friction enough to make a difference, but most people report that it's a temporary fix. Problems caused by subtle changes in friction are typical of unstable control systems. Also, the problems seem to occur when cruising with light throttle (when TC lockup and AFM are both likely to be toggling on and off), not aggressive driving and paddle shifting.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote