Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
slim79

Drives: 2017 camaro 2ss hyper blue matalic
Shutter

Got a 2017 camaro 2ss its been shuttering on light acceleration does anyone know what this could be my best way to describe it kinda feels like wheel hop but not as bad I know it's not wheel hop but to me that's what it feels like a light wheel hop
slim79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
mstgeer

Drives: '17 2SS Vert H50, A8, F55, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim79 View Post
Got a 2017 camaro 2ss its been shuttering on light acceleration does anyone know what this could be my best way to describe it kinda feels like wheel hop but not as bad I know it's not wheel hop but to me that's what it feels like a light wheel hop
If it is A8, tranny shudder, known issue. A search will provide many posts about it.
mstgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Nated421

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS Camaro
Hey man like mstgeer stated if its an A8 then you have the notorious shudder problem. Searching on here can help you find tons of info on it. Ive attached the Service bulletin for you hope it helps!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 16-NA-175.pdf (228.8 KB, 294 views)
Nated421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Ryan4290

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim79 View Post
Just had mine brought in for this. It is definitely a known issue. Mine just needed a transmission flush with a different kind of trans fluid i believe. So far this has fixed the issue.
Ryan4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
GM has has always had crappy automatic transmissions. The dealer will do a triple flush for your car and it should take care of the issue for now. Mine had the same shutter issue and I am afraid it will return after warranty runs out and I will get screwed so I will probably have to get rid of it before warranty runs out. Its a shame because I really like the car. I should have gotten a manual. Every automatic GM I have had over the years has had transmission issues.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
ig@kis_my_ss

Drives: 2017 camaro ss krypton green
the true problem for the A8 trans is the AFM it comes from cylinder 5 and can be seen as a misfire but once it got the AFM tuned out it went away. at least thats how my tuner described it. but i do know there is a known problem with the Torque Converter so i "upgraded" to a 3000 stall and works great.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Yes, this is a well known and big issue with the GM automatic 8 speed transmissions used in Camaros, Colorados, Corvettes and the trucks. Mine got so had after the initial flush was done I had to bring it back in and it needed a new torque converter. It's my first automatic in a car ever and the car has been in the shop so much for this issue. I won't buy automatic ever again and I end up trading the car in.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
tran827

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I just picked up my car yesterday after dropping it off at the dealer for this issue. They replaced the original transmission fluid that caused issues with a new one. The dealer told me to drive it about 200 miles and see if the issue is still there and if it is they will replace the torque converter. So far it is driving good and I have no more shutter but only time will tell now..
tran827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Mine is about to crap out, got to make it three more weeks before I can get to shop. Shutters all the time now. Good news, they cant say cant replicate when they pick the pos up from the side of the road.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran827 View Post
I just picked up my car yesterday after dropping it off at the dealer for this issue. They replaced the original transmission fluid that caused issues with a new one. The dealer told me to drive it about 200 miles and see if the issue is still there and if it is they will replace the torque converter. So far it is driving good and I have no more shutter but only time will tell now..
EXACTLY what they told me when they did the flush. Well the shudder came back worse than ever after 2K miles and now it is in queue for a new torque converter- been there a week and a half. Fortunately when I was shopping before this thinking in case they did not fix it when I brought it in I would find something I like and trade it in- and I had it appraised. After I brought it in for the new TC, one of the dealerships that had the car I liked called me and I told them the truth that I could not do the deal as the Camaro was in the shop, in queue for a new torque converter. They did the deal anyway and they are waiting for the car to get done. I got lucky to trade it in while it was in the shop. I read about too many issues on the forums about the A8 in general and that once the shudder is there even with a new TC it comes back and then you need a new tranny. Way too much to deal with for me. M/T is the way to go- no problems if you drive it properly and it's way easier to maintain- no complicated fluid flushes, etc.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
ive got 8k miles on it, about a year and ive yet to experience the shudder, can you guys post a video or describe it?
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
JT58

It starts first with the transmission slipping- my tach would not stay steady in 7th or 8th gear- it would fluctuate up and down every few seconds- I would guess 300 or so RPM. This started in mine, or I just started noticing it after 2K miles. This is when driving on a flat, road, steady throttle cruise off or on, no difference. Then the shuddering starts- mine started at 2500 or so miles. When in 7th or 8th gear driving steady speed, fluid fully warmed up, 50-60 MPH the car will "shudder" every 30 or so seconds. It will like shake the car, feels like driving over rumble strips- it last for only a couple of seconds. At the same time it's shuddering, the transmission is also slipping- you will see the tach move slightly as it shudders. It did it when the car was hot, when not fully warned up, the trans would slip less often and would not shudder.

The best way to notice if you have the transmission problem is watch your tach when in 8th gear going 60 or so MPH steady speed. If your tach is steady and does not move, you have a good transmission. If it fluctuates, you have the issue or will have it at some point.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #13
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
the problem is caused by one or more of the following.

1. poor tc materials, i.e. paper based friction surface.

2. poor friction modifier in the transmission fluid itself, causing the tc to slip more than it should, prematurely wearing out the already bad friction material.

3. slip tables on the transmission allowing too much slip, causing the above problem.

the shudder itself is caused by the transmission swapping between the high and low pressure pump. it uses the low pressure pump in cruising, once it sees the slipping (slip tables), it swaps to the high pressure pump, locking it back down. this happens several times per minute, and results in a shuddering felt.

zeroing out the slip tables will help, it pretty much locks the high pressure pump on all the time. this also voids the warranty.

swapping to a better tc will help, but will also prematurely wear out due to the slip tables and bad friction modifier. this also voids the warranty.

to completely alleviate the problem, you need good fluid, and to zero out the slip tables. if your tc is in good shape, it should theoretically hold up, but only time will tell.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
the problem is caused by one or more of the following.

1. poor tc materials, i.e. paper based friction surface.

2. poor friction modifier in the transmission fluid itself, causing the tc to slip more than it should, prematurely wearing out the already bad friction material.

3. slip tables on the transmission allowing too much slip, causing the above problem.

the shudder itself is caused by the transmission swapping between the high and low pressure pump. it uses the low pressure pump in cruising, once it sees the slipping (slip tables), it swaps to the high pressure pump, locking it back down. this happens several times per minute, and results in a shuddering felt.

zeroing out the slip tables will help, it pretty much locks the high pressure pump on all the time. this also voids the warranty.

swapping to a better tc will help, but will also prematurely wear out due to the slip tables and bad friction modifier. this also voids the warranty.

to completely alleviate the problem, you need good fluid, and to zero out the slip tables. if your tc is in good shape, it should theoretically hold up, but only time will tell.

Yeah and that time will be when the warranty runs out. GM should issue a lifetime warranty for these shitty transmissions. Instead they are going about doing their usual band-aid and hope you will get stuck with the repair bill instead of them. It is the reason I bought my wife a Honda Accord instead of a Malibu or Impala both of which we really liked.

Last edited by craigss50; 08-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote