Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #85
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I will ask again, if GM does decide to make a 6th Gen Z/28 (I don't see it happening), where do you place it from a pricing and performance perspective? I believe they have all of their bases covered here.

The current track capable/track oriented Camaro line-up: V6 1LE, SS 1LE, ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE
See post 25 on page 2.

1LS V8 around the 1LS V6 1LE pricepoint, but dumb old-school fun rather than track fun.

1LS V8 Z/28 just under the 1SS 1LE pricepoint, but more extreme, yet not quite 5th gen stripped.

This keeps the performance accessible, and broadens the availability of the V8. On top of that, I'd make a V6 1LE package for the 2.0T to really expand the lower end of the range like we keep hearing about on R&T, C&D, MT, etc...

Sorry if I didn't explain this well enough in my original post. We just don't need the Z/28 name on something none of us can afford, just to have bragging rights. Let the ZL1s have the LT5 to keep that market covered. Give the rest of us some affordable performance with an attainable SCCA-dominating Z/28 and redneck-special 1LS V8.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM   #86
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
There's nothing to really be impressed with. You build a car that with racing fuel, can hit 9's in the 1/4 mile....but requires 840 hp to do it..because it weighs what Rosie O'Donnell weighs..

It really is just a street legal version of their Hemi Drag car....and that's not exactly impressive to me. Now, their launch tech and the blower on the car are very impressive, those I really like. However, as the car itself, I'm not really impressed...

Especially since the Camaro ZL1 Drag Pak is only around 700-725hp and with those components, namely the re-tune, headers, and DR's...the car is already at 10 flat in the 1/4....

And that's a car you can still take the DR's off and get twisty turny with.... THAT's impressive...
Is this car a car you can buy at the dealership? People who buy the quickest production car in history aren't in it to go around corners. They buy them because they can for whatever THEIR reason.
Here, maybe you like this better..
https://youtu.be/j7j1gCM6-5M
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #87
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Is this car a car you can buy at the dealership? People who buy the quickest production car in history aren't in it to go around corners. They buy them because they can for whatever THEIR reason.
Here, maybe you like this better..
https://youtu.be/j7j1gCM6-5M
I guess if you want stupid, you just buy stupid.... I'm sorry, but if I'm going to spend almost 90k on a car, I'd hope it could do more than just go fast in a 1/4 mile...

Maybe that's just me, but hey... to each their own... and as to the buy at the dealership bit.... you can buy a ZL1 and add the drag pak at any dealership.... a Demon? Good luck even seeing one, much less finding one..
Old 01-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #88
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I saw Holden is using a V6 turbo in their cars now?

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #89
396ssrat

Quote:
I guess if you want stupid, you just buy stupid.... I'm sorry, but if I'm going to spend almost 90k on a car, I'd hope it could do more than just go fast in a 1/4 mile...

Maybe that's just me, but hey... to each their own... and as to the buy at the dealership bit.... you can buy a ZL1 and add the drag pak at any dealership.... a Demon? Good luck even seeing one, much less finding one..
My buddy owns a Demon, he ran 9.94 @ 136 on dr's
last weekend. Car was 95k out the door. Lotta money, I personally wouldn't buy one as I
m a die hard Chevy guy who appreciates the latest greatest whatever if it performs. I was in the mix back when the very first Z/28 was available. The damned thing was even carbureted so the purists are in trouble because a real Z/28 had carburetor(s). Oh the irony for those who stricly adhere to legacy.
This said, if you want to go on circles and drive a compromise vs a one trick Pony so be it. Perhaps because I'm old I prefer the drag race version of cars. Many of todays drivers view it as boring but that's likely because they have never been in a "quick" drag car. Different strokes for different folks. Hell, at least for today, they don't even make a Z/28.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 PM   #90
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
My buddy owns a Demon, he ran 9.94 @ 136 on dr's
last weekend. Car was 95k out the door. Lotta money, I personally wouldn't buy one as I
m a die hard Chevy guy who appreciates the latest greatest whatever if it performs. I was in the mix back when the very first Z/28 was available. The damned thing was even carbureted so the purists are in trouble because a real Z/28 had carburetor(s). Oh the irony for those who stricly adhere to legacy.
This said, if you want to go on circles and drive a compromise vs a one trick Pony so be it. Perhaps because I'm old I prefer the drag race version of cars. Many of todays drivers view it as boring but that's likely because they have never been in a "quick" drag car. Different strokes for different folks. Hell, at least for today, they don't even make a Z/28.
Probably safe to say Dodge has the straight line covered,Chevy the road course, and Ford comes in second on both. It's our money to do with as we please..but man are these great days or what if your a domestic performance car enthusiast!
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #91
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
$85k 755hp lt5 Z/28 3700lb drag pack option that does 10.2-10.5 in the 1/4 stock.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #92
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
$85k 755hp lt5 Z/28 3700lb drag pack option that does 10.2-10.5 in the 1/4 stock.
It would be quicker than that with 755hp@3700lbs.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #93
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
See post 25 on page 2.

1LS V8 around the 1LS V6 1LE pricepoint, but dumb old-school fun rather than track fun.

1LS V8 Z/28 just under the 1SS 1LE pricepoint, but more extreme, yet not quite 5th gen stripped.

This keeps the performance accessible, and broadens the availability of the V8. On top of that, I'd make a V6 1LE package for the 2.0T to really expand the lower end of the range like we keep hearing about on R&T, C&D, MT, etc...

Sorry if I didn't explain this well enough in my original post. We just don't need the Z/28 name on something none of us can afford, just to have bragging rights. Let the ZL1s have the LT5 to keep that market covered. Give the rest of us some affordable performance with an attainable SCCA-dominating Z/28 and redneck-special 1LS V8.
The 1LS trim level is the bargain basement Turbo 4 or V6 model. I'm guessing you mean a 1SS trim level?

Quote:

Exactly! I could drop a $20,000 crate engine into an old rusted out Vega, run 9's and save ~$68k over a Demon. $90k to run a 9 second 1/4 mile and accomplish nothing else? I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
No. The Z/28 has always been a track focused (road course) machine.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #94
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
One need only read the various threads here on the forum to see that no matter what GM decides to do with building a new Z/28, it will get modified.

Most people that buy big HP cars are modaholics, including me. Lets just get the Z/28 made first, no matter what they put in it.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #95
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
With what you are suggesting, an ~$85-90k Camaro is not out of the realm of possibility. ZL1 1LE is ~$67-70k. Add carbon ceramic brakes, a new higher hp engine and other tech...this could get pricey.
85K is right in there with what the Demon costs. Why does the top Camaro have to be priced at a point the average Joe can afford it? The SS is a great car for the average Joe. I have spent over $85K after mods on my 2016 SS. If GM built a factory Camaro with twins and 800 hp I would buy it and keep the warranty.

I just think there are a lot of people that want to buy something outrageous and when they consider a Hellcat or a Cayenne or a Tesla S, if GM had a Camaro that was king it would be considered. A lot of people are buying hellcats around me.... I'm shocked how many are in my little town. I can't help but wonder if the ZL1 was 710 hp would there be ZL1s in town or are people really Dodge loyal? I really can't see it hurting Chevrolet to put another choice above the existing best Camaro because some people around me are spending $80k plus on vehicles and right now the only GM options in that range are a 2 seat vette, or a truck or a big SUV.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #96
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
85K is right in there with what the Demon costs. Why does the top Camaro have to be priced at a point the average Joe can afford it? The SS is a great car for the average Joe. I have spent over $85K after mods on my 2016 SS. If GM built a factory Camaro with twins and 800 hp I would buy it and keep the warranty.

I just think there are a lot of people that want to buy something outrageous and when they consider a Hellcat or a Cayenne or a Tesla S, if GM had a Camaro that was king it would be considered. A lot of people are buying hellcats around me.... I'm shocked how many are in my little town. I can't help but wonder if the ZL1 was 710 hp would there be ZL1s in town or are people really Dodge loyal? I really can't see it hurting Chevrolet to put another choice above the existing best Camaro because some people around me are spending $80k plus on vehicles and right now the only GM options in that range are a 2 seat vette, or a truck or a big SUV.
Eh, there's an ass for every seat. Some people enjoy being buried up to their eyeballs in debt or dumping $40k into a $40k car, only to find out the car is still only worth $40k. To each their own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #97
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Eh, there's an ass for every seat. Some people enjoy being buried up to their eyeballs in debt or dumping $40k into a $40k car, only to find out the car is still only worth $40k. To each their own.
Well it doesn't matter if you pay $80K for the car or $35K, debt is debt and really has nothing to do with the Z/28 topic. As far as Mods and cars as investments...cars in general are not good investments. The are rapidly depreciating assets. I don't expect any return on any money I put in my cars....gas, tires, turbos, exhaust systems, cold air intakes...you name it, if you spend it on the car you might as well write it off as gone. If you park the car like a museum piece it might be worth something to someone some day. If you drive it, it is going to depreciate...Not a smart investment. I would consider purchasing a fast Z/28 to drive because that is what I like to do with my money.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #98
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Well it doesn't matter if you pay $80K for the car or $35K, debt is debt and really has nothing to do with the Z/28 topic. As far as Mods and cars as investments...cars in general are not good investments. The are rapidly depreciating assets. I don't expect any return on any money I put in my cars....gas, tires, turbos, exhaust systems, cold air intakes...you name it, if you spend it on the car you might as well write it off as gone. If you park the car like a museum piece it might be worth something to someone some day. If you drive it, it is going to depreciate...Not a smart investment. I would consider purchasing a fast Z/28 to drive because that is what I like to do with my money.

You nailed it.

How do you put a price on the joy you get out of your car, you can't. It's the unique experience, that rush of adrenaline thru your arms as you hang on to the beast with the steering wheel. Some or most will never have that experience.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote