Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
M.C.

Drives: Chevy Camaro; Chevy Impala
Windshield Question

I noticed my Camaro has some incredibly tiny surface pits. Would a DIY windshield repair kit be sufficient for a fix or should I go through Safelite?
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
You may have glass coverage -- check your insurance policy.

If you have the windshield replaced, I'd go to the dealer rather than Safelite. I've never used Safelite, but have heard horror stories from friends.

I'd also want GM glass as opposed to an OE equivalent, especially if you have HUD.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #3
M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
You may have glass coverage -- check your insurance policy.

If you have the windshield replaced, I'd go to the dealer rather than Safelite. I've never used Safelite, but have heard horror stories from friends.

I'd also want GM glass as opposed to an OE equivalent, especially if you have HUD.
Thanks for info! Frustrating b/c they're just specks. Ugh! lol!
Old 10-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #4
M.C.

Follow up question for anyone out there: Would a windshield replacement show up on CarFax?
Old 10-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Glass

I've used Safelite on several occasions, and have been satisified. Results are generally the same as other places...

My most recent experience with their mobile tech and my Camaro was no different. We had a long conversation about cars, the industry, and glass replacement while he did his work.

From that conversation:

1) Many (if not most) dealerhips call a 3rd party like Safelite to replace glass, The dealer techs don't do it. Would you rather have a tech replace your glass who does 2 or 3 per day, or a dealer tech who does 2 or 3 per year?
2) For rare pieces of glass (Camaro with HUD, for example). Safelite orders OEM glass, grinds off the OEM logo and etches their own logo. My HUD display is no different between the old glass and the replacement.
3) The OEMs around Detroit have significant fleets of vehicles, Windshield replacement is performed by Safelite (or other companies) on those fleets, not OEM techs.
4) The biggest issue has always been whether or not they can keep their appointment because on a couple of occasions the "central office" delivered the wrong piece of glass. So I had to reschedule...

So if you go with Safelite on your Camaro chances are pretty high you're getting OEM glass installed by the same techs who service the dealers and OEMs.

To the original question. I've used the Permatex w/s repair on a spider crack, and although it keeps the crack from expanding, it is by no means invisible. I's imagine the same with smaller pits, but I don't have direct experience.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP08jrf View Post
I've used Safelite on several occasions, and have been satisified. Results are generally the same as other places...

My most recent experience with their mobile tech and my Camaro was no different. We had a long conversation about cars, the industry, and glass replacement while he did his work.

From that conversation:

1) Many (if not most) dealerhips call a 3rd party like Safelite to replace glass, The dealer techs don't do it. Would you rather have a tech replace your glass who does 2 or 3 per day, or a dealer tech who does 2 or 3 per year?
2) For rare pieces of glass (Camaro with HUD, for example). Safelite orders OEM glass, grinds off the OEM logo and etches their own logo. My HUD display is no different between the old glass and the replacement.
3) The OEMs around Detroit have significant fleets of vehicles, Windshield replacement is performed by Safelite (or other companies) on those fleets, not OEM techs.
4) The biggest issue has always been whether or not they can keep their appointment because on a couple of occasions the "central office" delivered the wrong piece of glass. So I had to reschedule...

So if you go with Safelite on your Camaro chances are pretty high you're getting OEM glass installed by the same techs who service the dealers and OEMs.

To the original question. I've used the Permatex w/s repair on a spider crack, and although it keeps the crack from expanding, it is by no means invisible. I's imagine the same with smaller pits, but I don't have direct experience.
Interesting info! I wonder if GM does outsource the windshield replacements to Safelite. My buddy is a tech at Mercedes and they do the windshield replacements in-house -- he is typically the tech who does all of the windshields.

FWIW, I have a crack in my windshield, so I was asking around recently -- that's why I noted some poor experiences I've heard about above. The anecdotes I received on Safelite:
- Friend with '91 Audi 200 20V Quattro: "My windshield is not in the correct spot. They also had to reschedule my appointment 3x because they kept breaking the windshields when they shipped them up from their warehouse in Georgia to the local spot in NJ."
- Friend with older Toyota 4Runner: "They did my 4Runner back window which goes up and down. It took me three trips to Princeton for them to get it right."
- Friend who is a master tech at Mercedes: "Check with your insurance, you may have glass coverage. We do insurance windshields all the time. Safelite will send some newly trained inexperienced tech. I redo lots of Safelite installs."
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
M.C.

Awesome stuff! I've used Safelite before, just to repair a crack on my other vehicle, with no complaints.