Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
v8fanboy

Drives: 2018 HotWheels 2SS 6 Speed Manual
Need Help!! My Camaro 2SS got totaled and insurance gave me the middle finger!

Hey guys, I see this forum has helped a lot of people in the past and would appreciate if I could get some help as well. Last month, I had decided to put my beautiful 2017 Camaro 2SS on sale. I was overseas last year for 3-4 months and decided to take off full coverage and leave the car just on liability to save some $$. After I came back, I of course forgot to undo that process. ( feel absolutely dumb about it)

Long story short, an uninsured driver ran a red light and totaled my car a few weeks ago. He gave a Geico policy to the on site police officers. My insurance (Root) ran his plates and found a AAA policy active. AAA told root that the policy holder for this vehicle sold the car in March 2021 and just forgot to cancel his policy, so AAA is off the hook. Gieco says the guy who hit me, does have a policy with them but the Nissan Altima that he used as a missile was not on the policy. So they denied my claim as well. I have an attorney involved but things do not look bright at all, the at fault party himself contacted me today telling that Geico told him he does not have coverage for this accident. The attorney said he will investigate with the DMV to see if there was any proper documentation with the previous owner actually selling the car in 2021 March, if there is no documentation, AAA will be liable for this/the previous owner. However, things do not look bright so my question is

If there is no coverage, I could lastly sue him which would be a long process, and even if I were to get the money, it would most likely be over a payment plan since the Actual Cash value of the vehicle at the time of the incident was roughly $37,000. No sane person has this sort of money laying around + it does not guarantee me my money as he could prove himself bankrupt.

What can I do right now to get the maximum out of my totaled vehicle? It is a 2017 2SS Torch red over two tone adrenaline red and black interior with 52,000 miles roughly and clean title. I do not have the technical skills to part it out myself, neither do I trust a mechanic around me to do it. If I were to sell it as is, are there any companies out there that give you reasonable offers? Mechanically, the engine + transmission + everything else is great, just airbags have deployed + damage to the front body + radiator is most likely gone.

Last edited by v8fanboy; 03-31-2022 at 08:33 PM.
v8fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fanboy View Post
Hey guys, I see this forum has helped a lot of people in the past and would appreciate if I could get some help as well. Last month, I had decided to put my beautiful 2017 Camaro 2SS on sale. I was overseas last year for 3-4 months and decided to take off full coverage and leave the car just on liability to save some $$. After I came back, I of course forgot to undo that process. ( feel absolutely dumb about it)

Long story short, an uninsured driver ran a red light and totaled my car. His insurance took a month to figure out that the car he was driving was not on his policy. I have an attorney involved but things do not look bright at all, the at fault party himself contacted me today telling that Geico told him he does not have coverage for this accident.

If there is no coverage, I could lastly sue him which would be a long process, and even if I were to get the money, it would most likely be over a payment plan since the Actual Cash value of the vehicle at the same of the incident was roughly $37,000.

What can I do right now to get the maximum out of my totaled vehicle? It is a 2017 2SS Torch red over two tone adrenaline red and black interior with 52,000 miles roughly and clean title. I do not have the technical skills to part it out myself, neither do I trust a mechanic around me to do it. If I were to sell it as is, are there any companies out there that give you reasonable offers? Mechanically, the engine + transmission + everything else is great, just airbags have deployed + damage to the front body + radiator is most likely gone.
That was a VERY costly mistake... Education isn't free and unfortunately, you just payed for yours... I can guarantee you one thing, you will NEVER do that again...

Sorry for your loss...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'd sue the uninsured at-fault driver (payment plan is still better than receiving nothing) and find a trustworthy mechanic or a body shop to part the car out with, working out a deal for the proceeds. Unfortunately, you cut yourself off of easy street on this one.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #4
v8fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
That was a VERY costly mistake... Education isn't free and unfortunately, you just payed for yours... I can guarantee you one thing, you will NEVER do that again...

Sorry for your loss...
I absolutely agree mate, been kicking myself for not having uninsured motorist for property damage/full coverage on my vehicle. It absolutely sucks, desperately needed that money to put on a down payment for a house...
Old 03-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #5
v8fanboy

Problem is, the justice system is wrecked, that slimy no good uninsured driver could easily prove himself to be bankrupt and at that point, the judgement will no longer force him to pay me. It sucks doesn't it? I was paying for insurance (granted not full coverage), I get hit + injured, haven't been to work for a month, and I'm the one loosing out $40k!?...I even have a police report that states hes at fault, but its been difficult finding a lawyer just for property damage.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You live and learn. Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:23 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Damn dude, I am real sorry you are in this spot. REALLY sucks!!!
Old 03-31-2022, 07:47 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Sorry to hear of this happening.

Continue talking with the lawyer. You may have other avenues like your homeowner's insurance, THEIR homeowner's insurance, property seizure, etc. A lawyer would know the avenues to consider.

Last edited by ember1205; 03-31-2022 at 08:41 AM.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Unfortunately, insurance is just a business, not a charity. If you don't pay the price, you don't get the coverage. You took a chance driving without full coverage, and lost. I get angry at folks who don't carry the proper insurance. I've been hit twice by people who didn't have insurance, and made sure to call the police so they got a ticket for it. Then I got stuck paying my deductible.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Speaking from recent experience, uninsured motorist is an absolute must as many drivers with insurance have minimum amounts of $25K liability which considering the average cost of a car today is woefully insufficient.

As one of the previous replies said, you have just learned a very expensive lesson. Your insurance is not giving you the middle finger at all. You cannot expect to get something that you did not pay for.

If the guy that hit you has no assets (which is likely considering he was driving without insurance which is illegal) then you are probably SOL.

Sorry that this happened to you, but it is on you, not your insurance co.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:16 AM   #11
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post

Sorry for your loss...
Agreed what Capt says here.

Sorry for your loss.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:26 AM   #12
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’m going to actually give some advice since everyone is just telling you that you learned an expensive lesson (even though this was an honest mistake because you simply forgot to turn your full coverage back on, you weren’t just trying to be cheap going forward when you got back from your long trip.)

You mentioned his insurance said the car was not on his policy. Well who’s policy was the car on? If the car was insured why can’t you go after the owner? Also I find it strange that he has insurance and he’s not covered for this type of incident. I thought minimum coverage would be damages are covered for the other party involved but not you yourself?
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I agree with what M6 said. If the car the other driver was driving had insurance, a lawyer may be able to go after them. However, that could be a very lengthy drawn out process, and if you win the case, then the lawyer will take their cut. At that point you have to decide if it is worth pursuing. It's not apples to apples, but a buddy of mine has an ongoing legal matter and it's already cost him about 20K. Lawyers aren't cheap

Also what the others said, very costly mistake. That's one of the reasons I have way more coverage than I need on my auto policy.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:05 AM   #14
BlueStreak91

Drives: 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I’m going to actually give some advice since everyone is just telling you that you learned an expensive lesson (even though this was an honest mistake because you simply forgot to turn your full coverage back on, you weren’t just trying to be cheap going forward when you got back from your long trip.)

You mentioned his insurance said the car was not on his policy. Well who’s policy was the car on? If the car was insured why can’t you go after the owner? Also I find it strange that he has insurance and he’s not covered for this type of incident. I thought minimum coverage would be damages are covered for the other party involved but not you yourself?

Good points here. Also:

1) Consider hiring a cheap young lawyer looking to make a name for themselves to chase the insurer of the car that hit you, AND the driver. Establish the max you are willing to pay this lawyer for this cause in writing and up front, otherwise he'll bill you forever.

2) Consider having the car taken to an auto-auction for wrecked cars and selling it there. They'll charge a fee, but you'll have the eyeballs you want fighting over it there.

3) Take a detailed set of photos and post them on this site with a "best offer by X date" post. You'd be surprised at how creative a group of enthusiasts can be at arranging a group buy and strip party.

22 2SS Vert, RSB, White Stripes over Ceramic White w A10, MRC, NPP, and more (built in Michigan)
71 Chevelle (built in Texas), 05 Yukon XL (built in Texas), 22 Corolla Cross (built in Alabama), and more cars for the kids
BlueStreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote