Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Dorwd71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Emmision issue

has anyone ever heard of a Camaro no passing emissions due to the "key light" not coming on? I really did not understand what the service tech was talking about and now it is just sitting waiting until they can run full diagnostics.
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The dash indicator lights should all come on when the car is first started to verify that they are working normally. Maybe they talking about the MIL indicator or some other light that didn't work when they started the car? If you have questions they should be able to explain it to you. Are you at a dealership or an independent shop? Are they billing you for the diagnostics?
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Dorwd71

its at the dealer and I am not being billed, just annoyed car is stuck there until they have time to do diagnostics. I will have to go back to them to figure out exactly what they meant. Since it is push button start, it made no sense key light did not come on. Its not throwing any codes.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorwd71 View Post
its at the dealer and I am not being billed, just annoyed car is stuck there until they have time to do diagnostics. I will have to go back to them to figure out exactly what they meant. Since it is push button start, it made no sense key light did not come on. Its not throwing any codes.
Ask them point blank what a "key light" is.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
Dorwd71

I got clarification, it was the check engine light not coming on before the vehicle was actually started (accessory mode). I think the emissions guy did not hold the start button long enough for the system check. I went to the dealership with the tech, we tested it and there is no issue, so uninformed emissions technician was the issue. But now I know to hold the start button for 10 seconds to bring up the "systems" check.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorwd71 View Post
I got clarification, it was the check engine light not coming on before the vehicle was actually started (accessory mode). I think the emissions guy did not hold the start button long enough for the system check. I went to the dealership with the tech, we tested it and there is no issue, so uninformed emissions technician was the issue. But now I know to hold the start button for 10 seconds to bring up the "systems" check.
Might be worth looking for a new dealership, too. I would expect that this is how most Push Button Start systems in GM vehicles will work and won't be Camaro-specific.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote