Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #29
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
As with the manual transmission, people also once enjoyed their horse and buggy. It is also a thing of the past. My last manual Camaro was in 1987 and I had to replace the clutch and pressure plate at a mere 24k miles. I've never looked back since. My Chevelle is a 3 spd automatic and there is nothing boring about driving it. Nothing at all. The 8 speed auto has a history but many have had that issue resolved. Just takes some things a while where GM is concerned. After 11 years of owning my Silverado I finally got a recall notice for my passenger side air bag. GM doesn't simply step up to any vehicle issue, they have to be forced.

Last edited by 396ssrat; 03-08-2021 at 01:38 AM.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #30
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
As with the manual transmission, people also once enjoyed their horse and buggy. It is also a thing of the past. My last manual Camaro was in 1987 ansd I had to replace the clutch and pressure plate at a mere 24k miles.
That was either manufacturing defect or you abused the crap out of it or you were always slipping the clutch because you never shifted clean. I drive cars hard and have never come close to going through the factory clutch before 200k miles.

Kids don’t use his example as anything remotely close to reality. The clutch in your Camaros will last MUCH longer........ provided you’re not cooking it every shift
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:43 AM   #31
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
That was either manufacturing defect or you abused the crap out of it or you were always slipping the clutch because you never shifted clean. I drive cars hard and have never come close to going through the factory clutch before 200k miles.

Kids don’t use his example as anything remotely close to reality. The clutch in your Camaros will last MUCH longer........ provided you’re not cooking it every shift
I simply drove the car. Just drove it alot and at times even towed with it. Pretty hard to abuse a 6 cylinder engine in a Camaro.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:57 AM   #32
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
As with the manual transmission, people also once enjoyed their horse and buggy. It is also a thing of the past. My last manual Camaro was in 1987 and I had to replace the clutch and pressure plate at a mere 24k miles. I've never looked back since. My Chevelle is a 3 spd automatic and there is nothing boring about driving it. Nothing at all. The 8 speed auto has a history but many have had that issue resolved. Just takes some things a while where GM is concerned. After 11 years of owning my Silverado I finally got a recall notice for my passenger side air bag. GM doesn't simply step up to any vehicle issue, they have to be forced.

I think the problem with your 87 Camaro was 100% driver related.

Now for the original question....Get the Manual it is the way God intended Muscle and Sports cars to be.

The Auto has no soul.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:08 AM   #33
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
I simply drove the car. Just drove it alot and at times even towed with it. Pretty hard to abuse a 6 cylinder engine in a Camaro.
Well, you clearly didn't just drive the car then. With a whopping 135hp rating and 160 ft lbs of torque from that 1987 2.8L v6 camaro, the lightest loads getting towed uphill would have roasted the clutch. This was not a vehicle I would have chosen to tow with.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:15 AM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
You cooked the clutch on a wheezy 2.8 V6 in 24,000 miles?

That’s not something I’d even admit publicly.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylyk1999 View Post
EDIT: Wow, you guys are awesome. I tried to post on r/cars (reddit) and got banned for asking about a "buying" question. Thanks so much for everyone's input, my friend just showed me how to drive manual in his Miata yesterday, and I have to say - it was wicked cool. I'm found a black 2017 1LT 2.0T manual on vroom with 40k miles and I think I might pull the trigger on that. Again, I appreciate all the reassurance!
Good on you for getting ahead of it a bit.

The best attitude to have here is to look at the MT as being just the way some cars are driven. It's not particularly harder, just different.

My wife and I are both in our 70's and haven't owned a car with automatic since the early 1970s . . . family sedans and all. MTs really are that easy to live with, and not all that hard to make up your mind to do so.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-08-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #36
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I think the problem with your 87 Camaro was 100% driver related.
Unlikely at that low mileage unless it was abused.
Not enough information on why disc and pressure plate replaced. Slip? Noise? Vibration?

There is nothing about the clutch in the gen6 Camaro that makes me think it is underdesigned.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #37
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I too would choose a manual transmission. All the Camaros I have owned have been manuals and hopefully I can drive my ZL1 until age dictates otherwise. You have to decide what’s best for you though but learning to drive a stick isn’t difficult and just takes patience and practice.

Tags
1lt, manual, shudder, transmission