Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
christisnt
MDRHRNT

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Fireball Edition
How Strong Is The LT1 Crank?

Looking at doing some major upgrades. Aiming for 800 whp at least. Hopefully. How much power can the LT1 crank handle? I'll definitely be replacing pistons and connecting rods, and if the funds are there id probably replace the crank too, but if i decide not to, how much trouble will i be in?

Also, how much power can the stock lt1 handle in general? Just out of pure curiosity. I heard someone say something around like 850-ish and that kind of had me in disbelief.
christisnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Stock LT1 as in with stock pistons? I wouldn't go over 700hp and even then it depends on how and where you run. Street, ok. Drag strip, OK (ish). Sustained track, I wouldn't honestly.

With forged internals you can sustain more. I think the stock crank is pretty stout. Which car is this and what cooling will you be adding (if any)?

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by christisnt View Post
Looking at doing some major upgrades. Aiming for 800 whp at least. Hopefully. How much power can the LT1 crank handle? I'll definitely be replacing pistons and connecting rods, and if the funds are there id probably replace the crank too, but if i decide not to, how much trouble will i be in?

Also, how much power can the stock lt1 handle in general? Just out of pure curiosity. I heard someone say something around like 850-ish and that kind of had me in disbelief.
LME uses the stock forged LT1 crank in their 1300 WHP rated shortblock. You’re plenty safe at 800 WHP...
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
LT1 crank is forged steel and pretty stout as is. I wouldn't blink an eye at 800whp on a stock one that is new / inspected.

Beyond that I would consider having the mains and rod journals ground undersize so they can have some larger radii. The stock rod journals only have a couple of thousandths of a rad in the corners.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by christisnt View Post

Cleetus Mcfarland's C7 Stingray lasted 30k miles @ 8xx whp stock LT1 long block with a F1a procharger. It was tuned by Jeremy Formato. Jessika Joy also had a similar setup in a 6th gen that held up for around the same mileage. I have seen a few others up in the high 700's. Does that mean all LT1's will last that long with that kind of power...NO. I have seen some blow up at 600 and likely due to lack of fuel system and incompetent tuning... if it's tuned properly with proper fueling they will handle more power then many give them credit for because most shops out there are not correctly tuning these engines.

That being said the stock crank is better then most aftermarket pieces until you get up into Callies Magnum range. It will handle more power then you will throw at it. I would be more concerned about the thrust bearing with any belt driven power adder at higher boost levels.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Cleetus Mcfarland's C7 Stingray lasted 30k miles @ 8xx whp stock LT1 long block with a F1a procharger. It was tuned by Jeremy Formato. Jessika Joy also had a similar setup in a 6th gen that held up for around the same mileage. I have seen a few others up in the high 700's. Does that mean all LT1's will last that long with that kind of power...NO. I have seen some blow up at 600 and likely due to lack of fuel system and incompetent tuning... if it's tuned properly with proper fueling they will handle more power then many give them credit for because most shops out there are not correctly tuning these engines.

That being said the stock crank is better then most aftermarket pieces until you get up into Callies Magnum range. It will handle more power then you will throw at it. I would be more concerned about the thrust bearing with any belt driven power adder at higher boost levels.
This. Some blow up way before that power level but there's been documented cases of well sorted cars with right tuning, fueling, and power adders living at high power levels for extended periods.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
AMP in Dallas said the stock LT1 crank can hold over 1250hp before it becomes an issue. They didnt lose the crank in their LT4 until it ws pushed to 1500hp.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
christisnt
MDRHRNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Stock LT1 as in with stock pistons? I wouldn't go over 700hp and even then it depends on how and where you run. Street, ok. Drag strip, OK (ish). Sustained track, I wouldn't honestly.

With forged internals you can sustain more. I think the stock crank is pretty stout. Which car is this and what cooling will you be adding (if any)?

What method of cooling would be best in your opinion? Also it would be aftermarket pistons and connection rods.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
christisnt
MDRHRNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
This. Some blow up way before that power level but there's been documented cases of well sorted cars with right tuning, fueling, and power adders living at high power levels for extended periods.
So basically, have it tuned by one of those folks or by someone of equal skill level
Old 04-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
christisnt
MDRHRNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
LME uses the stock forged LT1 crank in their 1300 WHP rated shortblock. You’re plenty safe at 800 WHP...
Thats crazy! But i am happy to hear it!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
christisnt
MDRHRNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
AMP in Dallas said the stock LT1 crank can hold over 1250hp before it becomes an issue. They didnt lose the crank in their LT4 until it ws pushed to 1500hp.
This is very good to hear
Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #12
christisnt
MDRHRNT

If there was anyone on here that i didn't respond to, it was not intentional, and i would like to thank you guys for your insight!

Tags
engine, performance