Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
goproz

Drives: n
As a college student, should I get a 6th gen 2LT or 2ss?

So let me start off and say this is partially financial advice. Here's the situation: I am very fortunate that my parents will be giving me 22k to use towards a car. The requirement they have is that the car has blind spot monitoring. This leaves me with two possible trims: 2LT and 2SS. I have been looking at 6th gens.

If I get a 2LT:

- I'll probably only need to pay ~3k of my own money for a 2017 or 2018 2LT with blindspot (also know as convenience and lightening package) with ~15k miles.

- Insurance will be lower, gas will be less expensive, and better MPG

- People at car meets will look down on me for having a v6 ):

- Not a lot of torque

2SS:

- I will need to take out a 9-10k loan for a 2016 or 2017 2ss with ~25k miles with little warranty left.

- Insurance will cost more, gas will be more expensive, and I'll get worse MPG, all while having a large loan

- I will get the enjoyment that comes with a v8!

Additional info: I am a computer science major who had a well paying internship last summer and will hopefully have another this summer. I do not currently have a job at school but I am trying to get one ASAP.

If I got a loan will be at around 1.9%

Follow up questions: How risky is it to get a 6th gen that is out of warranty? How much does it cost to maintain a camaro?

Thank you everyone for the help!
goproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
I'm not buying a Camaro to get a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder........

2SS??? I don't care about fluffy junk, I've never met a touchscreen I don't want to make a punchscreen.

1SS or LT1 car, split the middle and get the real one and ditch the fluff.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Same as my answer on Reddit: stop caring about what other people will think. The V6 and 2.0T are both very fun cars. It's really all dependent on your personal finances.

What are you currently driving/what have you driven?
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
My biggest advice to my 20 year old self would be "save more money, you idiot". The money you save now compounds over the decades and makes a huge difference.

HOWEVER with a 22k down payment and only taking on <10k loan yourself I'd say go for the 2SS. 10k is a perfectly reasonable amount to pay for a car and isn't putting a massive burden yourself. The V8 is so worth it.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My advice to you is get the V6 Camaro since you don’t have a job yet and enjoy driving it and maybe 2 years or so you can move up to an SS or ZL1 whichever one you can afford! It depends on your financial situation and I know when I was going to college, back in the dark ages, I drove a 4 cylinder Chevy Vega that got me around and didn’t cost too much to own. I had a part time job and was stretched pretty thin for money but I made it until I could graduate and finally get a full time job making a decent wage. The Camaro will be around at least until 2022 or 2023 so you could consider an upgrade model to the V6. The 2.0 liter Turbo Camaro with a 6 speed might be a good choice for you too! That’s my advice to you and I wish you good luck in your education and whichever Camaro you decide to get!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
Bank that 22 thousand where it will accumulate interest.
Drive some disposable economy box until you get your education.
Insurance is going to kill you until you turn 25, especially if you are a male driver.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'm not going to make a recommendation to you on whether you should get the V8 over the V6. From the cost of ownership I will give you some things, mind you I have a 1LE so bigger rims (wider) vs the 2ss.

Cost of tires: Per set about $1500 avg
Gas premium only: $450 a month / every 2-3 days ($45 Avg)
Insurance: $121 a month, (This will severely depend on your record and who is listed as insured drivers. When I was under 25 the quotes were about $230 a month. My fiance and I are both insured, have two vehicles and other policies bundled)

Not to mention the other wear and replace items, brakes, oil, etc. I'd say the cost of ownership is not cheap. For what it's worth, if you can afford it on top of an apartment or living situation, I would say it has provided too many smiles per mile to count. Hearing the LT1 every morning has reassured I made the right choice. I would 100% test drive both, stay away from the auto trans unless it's the 10 speed, and make the smartest decision you can. For the record I'm 27 and waited to buy this car from 22.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
4 cylinder turbo guy here...

get the V8....Then you have got it already!....I love my 4cylinder but I should have got the V6....you are young, bright future ahead of you, good career coming up...gt that V8 and enjoy it...if you don't get the V8, you'll always wonder and you will feel like you "just settled" for the V6 three months down the road....that's just my .02
rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Changed my answer. Don;t be stupid. Take the 40k the car is going to cost you now and invest it. You will thank me a 55 when you give them the finger.

Do that instead, trust me. Then take the second 30-40k u make and get your car.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
If you can afford the V8 and still pay your bills (along saving some money) then I'd say go for it. But if it means living paycheck to paycheck I'd say forget it
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
If you HAVE to have a Camaro, get the V6 for college. Cheaper the better, especially in college.

I’d buy a beater for school and pocket the cash for now. (This is coming from someone that finished my associates and bought my Camaro and then ended up going back to school (mostly online). But, When I bought my car I kept 25,000 in a CD for the future.

Although, I see both sides of the argument, you’re only young once. You never know when it will end.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
Bank that 22 thousand where it will accumulate interest.
Drive some disposable economy box until you get your education.
Insurance is going to kill you until you turn 25, especially if you are a male driver.
Thank you!!

You need reliable transportation gopro...look at the used market but car debt if you can avoid is the route you need to take in this chapter of your life. If you start focusing on good financial practices now, your wallet will thank you short order.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
goproz

Drives: n
Good point. I've test driven the v6 and it was a lot of fun. In high school I drove a 2014 2.0L turbo sonata, but I haven't had a car in 3 years. (Sonata was a lease)
goproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
The real question is, why would you get a Camaro as your only car when you are young. You could get a cruze hatchback for cheaper, way more practical, still fun. With the camaro you'll constantly be running into situations where you're like "aagh, the trunk opening is too small" or "aggh, I wish i could take 4 adults with me." Seriously, it makes no sense to get a Camaro as your only car.

Wait for the new trailblazer. Or get an equinox. I got my 2LT 2.0T equinox with blind spot monitoring for 25k. It's fun and quick. I would not have bought a camaro if I didn't already have that car. That said, if you are totally sold on the idea, get the V6. Regular gas, still very quick, low cost of ownership. Getting a V8 camaro in your situation would be dumb.

Please don't go into debt for something which you could very easily get later on, when you can actually afford it.
If someone "looks down" on you for having a V6 camaro, then they're an idiot. This scenario is not as common as you might think. Most real world people don't do that sort of thing.
This is an enthusiast website, and you'll get the regular crowd of people here saying to succumb to the urge to splurge and "just get the V8 because you'll never forgive yourself."
It's all a bunch of BS, really. Just ignore it and buy the car that you can afford to buy and enjoy.

Think about this--I can afford to drive an SS, but I choose to drive a 2.0T instead because it's lighter and I think its more fun to drive.

Life lesson...don't ever do something because you feel like you "have to" or "should". Only do something if it feels right, and seems like the right decision to YOU.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, 2ss, pricing