Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Bgordon82

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Low oil pressure

I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS. In February my check engine light came on and the oil pressure gauge was reading 0. The code said I had a bad oil pressure sensor, so I replaced it and went off. 5 months later in July the check engine came back on and gave the same code reading but this the oil pressure gauge wasn't constantly reading 0 like the previous time it fluctuate between normal oil pressure (around 30+) and drops to 0 when I come to a stop, once the vehicle gets to normal operating temp. I had the oil pressure sensor replaced again and the check engine light went off for about a day and it came back on with the gauge having the same issue. I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic check and they placed a manual oil pressure gauge check system. The manual gauge didn't show the pressure dropping below normal. The dealership recommend I replace the oil pressure gauge. I bought a new 4 pack guage cluster but that did not fix anything. The check engine light is still on and the oil pressure drops, causing the low oil pressure warning to come flash at stops, when a normal operating temp. Has anyone else encountered this issue or any suggestions on what the cause may be.
Bgordon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Does the engine make any unusual noise when you notice the pressure drop? Which engine do you have?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
Bgordon82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Does the engine make any unusual noise when you notice the pressure drop? Which engine do you have?
There aren't any noises coming from the engine at all. The reading on the guage just drops and goes back up once I hit the gas. It's the L99.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
It should be higher than 30 when you hit the gas. Mine is apart at the moment, but I feel like under accel it should be at about 70. 30 should be idle i believe.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
JerTM

Check the filter under the oil pressure sender. If it's plugged you could be getting a false reading. Also where did the dealer check the oil pressure? Service Information has two locations it asks you to check, one at the filter with an adapter and one at the EOPS. That tells you if and where you may lose pressure.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Bgordon82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
It should be higher than 30 when you hit the gas. Mine is apart at the moment, but I feel like under accel it should be at about 70. 30 should be idle i believe.
It's above 30 while accellating. 70 would be too high, that's the max.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
Bgordon82

Quote:
Check the filter under the oil pressure sender. If it's plugged you could be getting a false reading. Also where did the dealer check the oil pressure? Service Information has two locations it asks you to check, one at the filter with an adapter and one at the EOPS. That tells you if and where you may lose pressure.
I'm not sure where they checked it. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, I'll ask. What's the EOPS?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgordon82 View Post
I'm not sure where they checked it. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, I'll ask. What's the EOPS?
Engine Oil Pressure Sensor

When I previously said one location to check the pressure, I was referring to the engine oil filter. The filter I suspect being plugged is the VLOM (valve lifter oil manifold) filter and is accessed by removing the EOPS. Removing the EOPS is required to test oil pressure at the top of the engine and likely wasn't where it was checked last time because it can be difficult to access. Keep us informed.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Bgordon82

Quote:
Engine Oil Pressure Sensor

When I previously said one location to check the pressure, I was referring to the engine oil filter. The filter I suspect being plugged is the VLOM (valve lifter oil manifold) filter and is accessed by removing the EOPS. Removing the EOPS is required to test oil pressure at the top of the engine and likely wasn't where it was checked last time because it can be difficult to access. Keep us informed.
Ok thank, I'll update after the call me, dropped it off this morning. Is that a common problem? Also is it a simple fix?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
JerTM

Quote:
Ok thank, I'll update after the call me, dropped it off this morning. Is that a common problem? Also is it a simple fix?
I wouldn't call it common, but I have seen it a few times. It's easy enough to fix if it is the case. Remove the EOPS, use a pick type tool to remove the filter, push the new one in, reinstall EOPS. It's really just a tiny little screen in the shape of a thimble.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Not to completely freak you out....But the 2010 and 2011 Camaros had a lot of issues with the pressure release valve getting stuck in the oil pump itself.

Most people didn't get any warning as in the oil pressure dipping...it would just be one morning you start the car and all the alarms go on saying no oil pressure turn off engine immediately.

My pump failed at 14,000 miles. Unfortunatly for me it was out of warranty do to modifications.

So long story short if it says low oil, turn it off immediately. Most pump failures don't correct itself, where yours seem to do, so very well could be the sensor.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #12
Bgordon82

Finally, after having my car for a week. They found there was a short in wire to the EOPS causing the problem.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Finally, after having my car for a week. They found there was a short in wire to the EOPS causing the problem.
Well thats great news!!

Tags
check engine light, low oil pressure