Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
sounds almost exactly the same as my issue that I just posted in the brakes/suspension section, except im at 39,900 miles on the car and pads that are squealing. something I do that has worked only sometimes is gotten brake/parts cleaner an sprayed it inside the brake pads. its actualy quieted down this week but I don't think theres ever a day where I don't hear it at all. the verdict was either take the wheels an brakes apart an clean them or get new pads....
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
Wondering if it's normal or if anyone has quick or an easy fix for sqealing brakes. They are the brembos and my car has about 17000 miles on it. They squeal on a light brake and I can stop the squealing by applying the brake harder. Some days are worse than others. It's more annoying than anything. Any ideas why or how to fix it?
Hi Nate76,

I regret to hear you’re experiencing this brake noise concern with your Camaro and recognize your frustration. I see that you are seeking advice from other forum members, however, please feel free to send us a private message if you would like to visit your dealership for a diagnostic appointment. We can certainly assist with facilitating that process!

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
I bought a new brake kit from Rockauto. I'll report back with how well they do later in the week. Price wasn't too bad at all (Stoptech).
StopTechs that I put on my car for track duty were louder than my stock brakes! I hope you have better luck.

I'm swapping back to the Hawks as soon as I have the opportunity.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
When I had bad squealing, I took everything apart, used brake cleaner, put it all back together and the noise was gone.

There was a TON of built up brake dust all over.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
StopTechs that I put on my car for track duty were louder than my stock brakes! I hope you have better luck.

Scott
Well it turns out it they aren't stoptechs. They are actually PowerStop. Hopefully they work out.

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  119.7 KB
Old 07-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post

Scott
The better the track brakes the worse they squeal. Learn to love the squeal
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I don't have Brembo brakes, but this is a common issue with Camaro brakes and is usually caused by metal to metal contact of the brake backplate and the metal parts of the caliper and retainer. The best fix I did was use brake lube on all the contact areas between the backplate and caliper. You can see where the contact is when you remove the pads from the caliper and apply the grease to those areas..
Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #22
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I got new brakes installed Nate. Compared to the Brembo's they don't seem to have the same bite but they are quieter (pretty much silent). Not sure if they'll get better once they are fully bedded in but for now I'm happy with them.

My brembos had about 30k miles on them btw.

Name:  20160724_105032.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  323.2 KB
Attachment 810372
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
JusticePete

Brakes work by friction. The byproducts of brake friction are heat and dust. The better the brake pad, the dirtier and noisy they are. Racing brakes make the squeal of a screaming squealing pig sound like music and they make dust faster than Pig Pen in Peanuts.

There is no such thing as a pad that stops as well and yet by some magic makes less dust. I wish there were. 99.999% of the time most people will never ever need the ALL the power of the excellent pads supplied by Chevy for the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros. They are, in our opinion, the best combination street drive / light track pads available. Stepping down for less dust may never hurt you. However, should you ever be distracted while driving and need to stop before rear ending the car in front of you those few inches may be the difference between and accident and a close call. God forbid a child dart out between cars on a residential street when inches become life and death.

We are not being critical, just trying to be informative, and accurate among a sea of marketing and web based mis-information.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
JusticePete

From Porsche...

Old 02-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #25
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Mine have squealed since I got it, funnily enough it had new Brembo pads fitted in the front just before I acquired it.
If its rained and I leave it a day or so, reversing out makes a pretty horrific squeal, then after a short drive its just the much, much quieter squeal under breaking.
I am following this thread with interest as at only 13k the discs are not even worn a little bit so I might wait a bit to change stuff.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #26
Marquez801

Drives: 13 Camaro 2 SS
Angry Brembo brakes

I have a 13 camaro ss with about 90k miles fairly new rotors and pads besides the point because they have squeaked since I replaced both rotors and pads. I had dealership replace them and made sure the oem were installed but still would squeal obnoxiously when coming to a stop. starts at about 20 to 0 when stopping. It's not just a squeal it a damn scream at me squeel. I spent day after day trying to fix the problem lube after oil after clean after clean over and over.I have tolerated it for about 10 to 15 k miles and finally I looked at my brakes and I'm down to metal on the driver side front pad. All other pads are fine so now I'm guessing from the obvious hint that the squeal is from uneven pressure from the calipers. Has anyone tried the brembo rebuild kit or should ii just replace the whole caliper, well the front as a pair ? I have a tight budget so I would much rather do the 50 $ rebuild kit but not sure how it would go.love to hear any suggestions or solutions please. any input would be appreciated thanks
Marquez801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
matar123

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Ls3 Cammed/Blown
Put some grease on the back of the pads
matar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
3 year old thread reserected, as mentioned above, pull the pads out and put a little zinc lube on the backs and re install, this should work, or get some different pads like the AC Delco Professional semi metallics like I have, no more squeal, bu they don't stop as abruptly as a Brembo pad would, so you have to be on your toes. Good luck.

Tags
brakes, brembo brakes, noisy, squealing