Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Dorwd71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Halos and their life expectancy

I know some on here are like myself and want to keep our Camaros until they go to Camaro Heaven, but my question is and I have thought about it a bit, how long do you think the headlights will last? Replacing the HIDs is one thing, but how does one go about fixing the halos if one goes out. I do not have this problem yet, but the thought of spending a buttload of cash to either buy new from GM or used does not sit well with me if they cannot be fixed and I have to buy a new headlight. Granted I do love the HIDs over the Halogens, but I also think the halogens will in the long run will be less hassle. What are your thoughts?
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
JeffHudgensMD

Drives: 2013 RS Camaro (2 LT)
I wondered the same thing... I had a lower fog light go out and replaced under warranty... I asked the service guy how much that bulb cost, it was $35. I asked what the Halo costs to replace, and he said $850! Let's hope they don't go out after 35,900 miles =(
JeffHudgensMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
Well the Hid either works or it doesn't, which is why some of us unfortunalty have miss match colored halos. but if the halo goes out you would have to open up your headlight and replace that HID which is a hassle but all in all cheaper. if the projector lamp goes out, then id assume you'd have to do the same process but replace the lamp.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWave View Post
Well the Hid either works or it doesn't, which is why some of us unfortunalty have miss match colored halos. but if the halo goes out you would have to open up your headlight and replace that HID which is a hassle but all in all cheaper. if the projector lamp goes out, then id assume you'd have to do the same process but replace the lamp.
The halo is LED. The headlight bulb is HID which could be considered the projector I guess. You would only need to open the headlight up to mess with the halo not the HID.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHudgensMD View Post
I wondered the same thing... I had a lower fog light go out and replaced under warranty... I asked the service guy how much that bulb cost, it was $35. I asked what the Halo costs to replace, and he said $850! Let's hope they don't go out after 35,900 miles =(
$850 is the price for the whole headlight.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
LED's supposedly have a very long life, think it is measured in the thousands of hours. Then again CFC bulbs they stated would last 7-10yrs sure ain't measuring up for me. They are two different technologies.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Its entirely dependent upon the technology utilized by Chevy.

Audi runs LEDs all the time, and they have focused on using A/C systems in order to keep the boards cool and extend life. Half ass companies like Kia and Hyundai use air cooling which will shorten the life because there is nothing to help with the heat transfer process.

Honestly, there is a cooling system on the HID bulb for the Camaro, I would be shocked if the same cooler didn't work for the LED board. Thus, I would be surprised if the halo goes out in the next few years. Of course, a disclaimer on that, thermally shocking it (aka driving in the winter if the car sits outside and freezes) will probably cut down on the life of it.

And the price they are giving you is for the entire headlight. Which makes sense, as someone posted a while back that you can't replace the LED in there without cracking the light out.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
My drivers side halo failed after 18 months, and around 12000 miles, many without the lights on. There is no bumper to bumper warranty in England. I was quoted the high prices mentioned on here, and thought....NO WAY!, so I've left it broken. I have read about folks putting the whole headlight in an oven, splitting it, and putting after market halos in, but I don't really see why I should have to go through that crap. It has been the only negative point I have encountered with regard to this car. It seems a lot of hassle to remove the complete facia, and replace an expensive part, for what is only a side light bulb.
If there are any kind American dealers reading this, could you arrange to forward me a warranty, drivers side HID headlight please.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
My drivers side halo failed after 18 months, and around 12000 miles, many without the lights on. There is no bumper to bumper warranty in England. I was quoted the high prices mentioned on here, and thought....NO WAY!, so I've left it broken. I have read about folks putting the whole headlight in an oven, splitting it, and putting after market halos in, but I don't really see why I should have to go through that crap. It has been the only negative point I have encountered with regard to this car. It seems a lot of hassle to remove the complete facia, and replace an expensive part, for what is only a side light bulb.
If there are any kind American dealers reading this, could you arrange to forward me a warranty, drivers side HID headlight please.
If it is strictly the halo bulb that is out contact jdp motorsports thru this forum and purchase their color changing halo kit takes about 4 hrs to install and then u wud not only have white but 6 other colors to chosse remotely and the kit would cost less than a replacement hedlight assembly from chevy. My.02 anyway.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
The halos are produced from a LED, which will probably last longer than the HID headlight.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorwd71 View Post
I know some on here are like myself and want to keep our Camaros until they go to Camaro Heaven, but my question is and I have thought about it a bit, how long do you think the headlights will last? Replacing the HIDs is one thing, but how does one go about fixing the halos if one goes out. I do not have this problem yet, but the thought of spending a buttload of cash to either buy new from GM or used does not sit well with me if they cannot be fixed and I have to buy a new headlight. Granted I do love the HIDs over the Halogens, but I also think the halogens will in the long run will be less hassle. What are your thoughts?

Any update on this thread would be appreciated. Just replaced both headlights. Halo's are fine so far at 11 yrs and 245,000 miles.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #12
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I run my halos as soon as the key turns. Still doing the job after 12 1/2 years but, only 51k on the clock.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
Any update on this thread would be appreciated. Just replaced both headlights. Halo's are fine so far at 11 yrs and 245,000 miles.
Wow! This IS an old thread!! 9 years.. I guess not too many of us are concerned about them. Most folks have swapped them out for custom/color ones. But mine are 11 years old this year! Still haloing..
Old 02-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
Holy crap! 245K? Have you had to do anything major to it? Any rust?
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote