Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Bybyetoyota

Drives: Upgrading from a subcompact
Advice on my first Camaro

So, I bought a Toyota Yaris a few years back, and while I loved the fuel economy I hated the jokes. Fast forward to now, and I'm coming into a bit of money from a property sale and I'm yearnin' for a new ride. A used BMW or Audi were pretty high on my list until I test drove a 2012 2LT and was absolutely blown away.

Now, the v6 is a HUGE upgrade from my '10 Yaris, but I'm already foreseeing work-place shit-talk about my choice in a v6 muscle car. I'd absolutely love an SS, but between the gas costs that'll come with using it for my daily driver and the insurance I'm leaning to being prudent in this economy. It's looking like I'll either have to choose between the practical V6's shit-talk, or getting my sex-on-wheels SS keyed by jealous assholes.

Any advice?
Bybyetoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Get what you can comfortably afford and call it a day! If it puts your mind at ease, do some math on what you think the mileage cost for each is, get actual quotes on insurance (don't just guess, sometimes its not as bad as you think), and go from there! Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My advice to you is to put on a perma-grin and keep it on because you are driving a Camaro.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
First of all who gives a shit what other ppl think. Second this isn't a v6 of yesteryear this is a very powerful v6 that is nothing to be ashamed of. Third of all it is a camaro. I love my v6 camaro. I never even test drove an SS but I can't even imagine how much faster it is than my car cuz my car has all the pop I need and then some. So if you get a v6 and someone gives you shit then tell them to meet you out at the track cuz unless they have a very high performance car you can beat them. Or ask them where their SS is?
Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
There is no shame in a pony car with 323 horses. Go for it.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
The C5 is " Sex On Wheels " :tweetz:

Buy what makes you happy. Its your car not theirs.

( Go Big or Go Home ) :emoticon7:

:5thgenvert:
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
V6 rocks-will they even know the difference unless you tell them? I mean they both look very similar so buy whatever is going to make you happy.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Bybyetoyota, since you test drive a LT, you KNOW how it feels.....for starters, you should worry about what others think, the car is an ATTENTION WHORE!! whether its a LT or a SS....most people won't know the difference, you will get plenty of "thumbs up" and looks fron the opposite sex.... and for those people at work or people that you know, who give you the "you should have gotten a V8" crap, first ask them what they are driving? then ask them if THEY are going to start buying your gas.....or ask them to bring their POS car to the track, or shut up. You will ABSOLUTLY love your 2LT, I know I do...I've had mine for 2 1/2 years.....and since you didn't mention it....are you looking at a RS? if not, you should make sure you are, thats my advice to you.

oh adn BTW...... Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do yourself a favor and don't become another statistic. There are many forum members who traded in their V6s for V8s. Financially, it's not the best way to do it. If you're even thinking about the SS, and you can afford it, just get it.

Do some math and see if you can handle the fuel costs. Everyone always brings up the MPG and insurance argument, but to be honest, the MPGs on the SS really aren't that much worse than on the V6. Also, when I traded up to the SS, my insurance changed by like 10 bucks.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bybyetoyota View Post
So, I bought a Toyota Yaris a few years back, and while I loved the fuel economy I hated the jokes. Fast forward to now, and I'm coming into a bit of money from a property sale and I'm yearnin' for a new ride. A used BMW or Audi were pretty high on my list until I test drove a 2012 2LT and was absolutely blown away.

Now, the v6 is a HUGE upgrade from my '10 Yaris, but I'm already foreseeing work-place shit-talk about my choice in a v6 muscle car. I'd absolutely love an SS, but between the gas costs that'll come with using it for my daily driver and the insurance I'm leaning to being prudent in this economy. It's looking like I'll either have to choose between the practical V6's shit-talk, or getting my sex-on-wheels SS keyed by jealous assholes.

Any advice?

First of all...WELCOME!

As a newer member here and coming from a monster V8 musclecar to a V6 Camaro, I can tell you exactly what to expect from the car and the people:

1. The car is indistinguishable from V8 to V6 unless you are somebody who likes to study mail slots.

2. Either trim grabs attention. In fact, my V6 gets as many compliments as my 03 Cobra did.

3. You will never please the people and you shouldn't care what they think. I hear the heckling all the time, so just have thick skin. Heck, people heckle about the LS model because its top speed is 118 due to the tire ratings on the factory wheels...do you often do over 118 mph every day bc if you listen to the V8 guys, they do that every day on their way to work. Of course, they also picked their SS up for $300 a month just 4 months after buying and trading their V6 ...believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

4. Most importantly, buy what you can afford! Unless you frequent the track, the V6 has plenty of punch. More than will ever be needed on the daily drive that you plan to use it for. Gas is cheaper, insurance is cheaper, if you're looking for the cheapest route, it's a no-brainer.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you choose to do...life's too short to care about what other people think.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Test drive a V8 before you decide...then go with what you want. The V6 is certainly the more long-term economical choice but buying a muscle car is really a "practical" decision anyway is it. Also if you are giong to use it as a daily driver I'd choose the V6 since you will eventually be trading it in with high miles.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonSS View Post
You will be Happy whichever route you chose to go.... Both Cars = Sex on wheels lol
Get what you can afford and will make you Happy I bet those same guys who would rag on the V6 would be the same scrubs asking for a ride anywhere.. V6 has great Power,
SS is just to satisfy your inner Muscle Car Mojo..

"Sex on wheels" is the best description yet.

Both cars rock, and BOTH are a step-up from a Yaris

You will be good eithe way you go.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Get a sams card or costco card it helps a lot with gas prices. Also people have respect for a camaro SS, a bwm/mercedes/lexus/jag is a lot more likely to be keyed than your american muscle car.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
dustinwe1

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
Defiantly test drive a SS also!!! When you do buy a Camaro, you do not want to have any regrets on your choice of V6 or V8. Both are awesome vehicles and you want to find the one that is right for you. I own a SS and it gets great MPG when I drive it like a car and not the bad a$$ machine that it is. However, in regards to gas, you have to top the SS off with 91 octane or higher. I am not sure if that also goes for the V6’s.
dustinwe1 is offline   Reply With Quote