Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
SKM348

Drives: Genesis
Questions for potential buyer

Hello!

Been watching all the YT videos and forums and am interested in the SS 6MT, 2SS, no packages, just the $995 exhaust option.

*Are the Recaro’s more comfortable or just more supportive? I’ll never track the car or push it hard through the corners, I just want decent handling which I believe comes standard with the SS. My priority is comfort over extreme firmness but if the Recaro’s have comfort I may add them as an option.

*Is the engine bay brace worthwhile/noticeable? It’s not unreasonable at $300ish but if its benefits are imperceptible I’ll pass.

*Can I switch to all season tires that are on the LT1 when the stock summer tires wear out? Would I just put new tires on same wheels or would there be other issues?

*Cylinder deactivation is only on automatics, correct?

*Are decal packages durable without fade? There’s some interesting looks you can get but I don’t know if they’ll last well.

*The only ‘issue’ I see is the direct injection carbon buildup which comes late in life I know but there’s some good, non-invasive treatments (STP) that seem effective if you do at 40k-50k.

*Looking at the GM Authority website it appears 2024 is the likely end for it, but who knows?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help and feedback.
SKM348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKM348 View Post
Hello!

Been watching all the YT videos and forums and am interested in the SS 6MT, 2SS, no packages, just the $995 exhaust option.

*Are the Recaro’s more comfortable or just more supportive? I’ll never track the car or push it hard through the corners, I just want decent handling which I believe comes standard with the SS. My priority is comfort over extreme firmness but if the Recaro’s have comfort I may add them as an option.

*Is the engine bay brace worthwhile/noticeable? It’s not unreasonable at $300ish but if its benefits are imperceptible I’ll pass.

*Can I switch to all season tires that are on the LT1 when the stock summer tires wear out? Would I just put new tires on same wheels or would there be other issues?

*Are decal packages durable without fade? There’s some interesting looks you can get but I don’t know if they’ll last well.

*The only ‘issue’ I see is the direct injection carbon buildup which comes late in life I know but there’s some good, non-invasive treatments (STP) that seem effective if you do at 40k-50k.

*Looking at the GM Authority website it appears 2024 is the likely end for it, but who knows?

I've had both and I prefer the Recaros, but then I like lots of lateral support.

No idea about the engine brace.

I don't think LT1 tires will fit on SS wheels, but there are some all season options that will fit.

Cylinder deactivation is only on automatics, but I'm pretty sure the hardware for it is on all engines.

No idea on decal packages.

Direct injection related carbon build up is a non-factor on these cars in my opinion. I do not have an aftermarket catch can on mine, I'm at almost 60,000 miles with no issues.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #3
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Tower brace is looks only

Deactivation in autos only but parts are on all motors

DI Can kiss my ass

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:

Recaro's are more comfortable, in my opinion. However, I thought they were only available on 1LE's. Things have probably changed in that regard.

100% cosmetic item that can be skipped.

You can switch out to whatever tire you'd like. Just be sure their overall height are similarly matched to stock or you'll have issues with ABS.

As Farmer pointed out, they are active in Automatic vehicles but, their hardware is still present in M6 vehicles.

Decals are just vinyls. Like anything else on the exterior of your car. If you take care of them and your paint, they'll last.

DI buildup is a real thing. I would highly suggest getting a catch can. There are other methods to help combat this if you're really adamant.

This rumor has been churning around for long enough to assume that there is validity behind it. I wouldn't count on the Camaro being an active nameplate in its current form for much longer, if at all. But that shouldn't stop you from purchasing one.
Reply is within the quote.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
SKM348

Thanks for all the replies so far.

USAF - yes, Recaro’s are a $1595 stand alone option now.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

USAF - yes, Recaro’s are a $1595 stand alone option now.
You have gotten some great advice above already. One thing I would suggest is buy some cheap take off wheels from an LT1 or even better another SS for your AS tires.

A cheap set of wheels will save you money and time in the long run as you can switch them yourself and don't need to pay someone to mount and balance tires twice a year.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Hello!

to the forums, brother. Looks like you've gotten some valuable replies already, I'll just add my take on these where it makes sense.

Recaro seats - They are a bit better overall. Not as comfy as the leather seats, but hold you much more firmly in the twisties. Now, are they $1600 better if you never track the car, well, that's questionable, but you need to know one thing, you can get them cheap now and will pay a whole lot more if you change your mind later. Also, these Recaros are in demand, if you don't like them, you'll easily find SS owners willing to trade and pay a little extra. If I were you, I'd option these in (thanks for nothing, gm for not having this option in 2018 when I bought mine).

Strut tower brace - Visual mod with no effect on a coupe, forget it, unless you're getting a convertible.

Tires - I see you're close to me in Southeast Tennessee, probably somewhere around Chattanooga. Why do you want inferior all-season tires? Is this a daily driver that you absolutely have to drive even during those 3-4 weeks when temps are below 30? I have Michelin PS4S summer tires, and they are amazing, a million times better than stock and I don't even keep a winter set, no need, they are workable down to 36-38 degrees.

Decals - OEM vinyl decals are very durable and not prone to peeling when installed correctly. I've had GM fender hash marks for years and they are very high quality, no fading, no peeling, no damage.

Carbon buildup - no need to worry about it on the LT1, but if you do, install a catch can and delay any tangible valve coking into the 150-200k mile "horizon" where it probably doesn't really matter.

2024 - GMA is not very reliable, but this is likely the case, gm are already following their typical "option reduction before discontinuation" game plan.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #8
SKM348

Thanks ARPAD.

Great points. Yes, am in the Chatt vicinity. What’s normal mileage out of the stock Summer tires for non-spirited driving.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
jp6

Drives: '22 2SS Camaro Convertible 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
to the forums, brother. Looks like you've gotten some valuable replies already, I'll just add my take on these where it makes sense.

Recaro seats - They are a bit better overall. Not as comfy as the leather seats, but hold you much more firmly in the twisties. Now, are they $1600 better if you never track the car, well, that's questionable, but you need to know one thing, you can get them cheap now and will pay a whole lot more if you change your mind later. Also, these Recaros are in demand, if you don't like them, you'll easily find SS owners willing to trade and pay a little extra. If I were you, I'd option these in (thanks for nothing, gm for not having this option in 2018 when I bought mine).

Strut tower brace - Visual mod with no effect on a coupe, forget it, unless you're getting a convertible.

Tires - I see you're close to me in Southeast Tennessee, probably somewhere around Chattanooga. Why do you want inferior all-season tires? Is this a daily driver that you absolutely have to drive even during those 3-4 weeks when temps are below 30? I have Michelin PS4S summer tires, and they are amazing, a million times better than stock and I don't even keep a winter set, no need, they are workable down to 36-38 degrees.

Decals - OEM vinyl decals are very durable and not prone to peeling when installed correctly. I've had GM fender hash marks for years and they are very high quality, no fading, no peeling, no damage.

Carbon buildup - no need to worry about it on the LT1, but if you do, install a catch can and delay any tangible valve coking into the 150-200k mile "horizon" where it probably doesn't really matter.

2024 - GMA is not very reliable, but this is likely the case, gm are already following their typical "option reduction before discontinuation" game plan.

I had the same questions and came to the same conclusions when shopping for my 2SS 6MT vert. This is the way.

03/04/2022 | Spotted in-transit 2SS Vert 6MT NPP on Chevy website
03/30/2022 | Took delivery from dealer
jp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Thanks ARPAD.

Great points. Yes, am in the Chatt vicinity. What’s normal mileage out of the stock Summer tires for non-spirited driving.
Thought so. I'm a stone's throw from Knoxville, let me know if you want to meet up once you got your monster delivered

Mileage from the stockers when driven like a grandma, well I'd say 10k+, but that's based on secondhand info, I sold mine at ~2k miles. The SS comes with Goodyear runflat tires that have rock hard sidewalls, which worsens the ride and adds a lot of noise compared to extreme perf non-runflat summer tires such as my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or the Continental ExtremeContact Sport etc. I know it costs extra, which sucks, but these are much, much better for street driving.

Yeah, if you get a flat, you'll need a flatbed, but I had my insurance cover that unlikely event instead of sacrificing ride quality, noise and even dry/wet traction 100% of the time. Hydroplaning resistance is particularly bad on the stock runflats, I got caught in a downpour driving on the higfway when the car was relatively new, well they were like freaking skates, I had to slow down to 30-35 mph in the right lane with my hazards on, talk about a drive of shame with Priuses and all sorts of SUVs happily zooming by. The PS4S is unfazed no matter the conditions, I can drive the exact same speed and style on wet and dry pavement, its wet traction is simply surreal.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #11
SKM348

Wow - did not realize the stock run flats were such a risk in rain. Something to keep in mind for sure.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #12
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
The OEM tires on my 2016 SS were by far the worst tires for driving in wet conditions I have ever experienced.

The OEM tires on my 2018 1LE were the second worst I’ve ever driven in wet conditions.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #13
2k2ss

Drives: 2002ss
To me the recaro seats squeezed me so much they kind of annoy me! I’m 6’1 210lbs
2k2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #14
SKM348

I read a 2016 Car & Driver 40,000 miles review and there was mention of oil consumption of 1 quart every ~4700 miles.

Seen lots of threads here on the subject. Anyone experiencing this in the 6.2 or is it pretty much as has already been reported?

Last edited by SKM348; 08-10-2022 at 01:17 PM.