Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Six year ownership review

I just realized I have owned my SS six years as I bought it March of 2016. I'll share a few thoughts about the car:

- I still thoroughly enjoy the car and get a little thrill about driving it every time I take it out. For me a big part of that is the fun from the high torque engine and a 6 MT. That makes the driving experience so engaging. Please - I am not meaning to start the auto versus manual debate. The only reason I mentioned it is that I got lucky and found the perfect combination for me.
- It has 35,000 miles on it which would have been more like 45-50 K if not for the pandemic
- For those 35K miles I have had only one issue otherwise the car has been flawless. I've only needed to do fluid, filter and tire changes. I'm on my third set of tires. I'm running the Conti ECS now which is a better tire in every way over the OEM GY runflats except the initial turn-in is not as sharp as the GY.
-The only issue I've had was the hot start/slow crank problem. I took it to the dealer at 35 months for a warranty repair and their solution was to replace the battery. That helped for about one year.
- I fixed the slow crank problem myself by adding a ground cable between the engine block and the body. I did that 16 months ago and I have not had a slow crank since.
- I still get compliments and admiring looks. People like the car. My neighbors love the NPP exhaust and the start up bark! Again I got lucky in that the Hyper Blue color with silver rally stripes sets the car apart from the crowd - at least it does in my part of the world.

Some day I may get tired of the car but that day isn't on my horizon yet.

Thank you GM for building an amazing car!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
I just hope I can say the same in 6 years with my 2022 RS. Once the salt and snow are gone it's out to Yellowstone. Then Devils Lake in N.D. I'd like to hit 25,000 before putting it up for winter.
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive had my car for about the same and only about 34k miles on my car and probably more track miles than street miles

issues wise had the sepentine belt pulley tensioner go out and blew a factory shock and blew a factory speaker and had my steering wheel emblem replaced but other than that no major issues to speak of and oh got the oem battery replaced at around 3 years in

2016 1ss m6 v8 lt1
Old 03-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I just realized I have owned my SS six years as I bought it March of 2016. I'll share a few thoughts about the car:

- I still thoroughly enjoy the car and get a little thrill about driving it every time I take it out. For me a big part of that is the fun from the high torque engine and a 6 MT. That makes the driving experience so engaging. Please - I am not meaning to start the auto versus manual debate. The only reason I mentioned it is that I got lucky and found the perfect combination for me.
- It has 35,000 miles on it which would have been more like 45-50 K if not for the pandemic
- For those 35K miles I have had only one issue otherwise the car has been flawless. I've only needed to do fluid, filter and tire changes. I'm on my third set of tires. I'm running the Conti ECS now which is a better tire in every way over the OEM GY runflats except the initial turn-in is not as sharp as the GY.
-The only issue I've had was the hot start/slow crank problem. I took it to the dealer at 35 months for a warranty repair and their solution was to replace the battery. That helped for about one year.
- I fixed the slow crank problem myself by adding a ground cable between the engine block and the body. I did that 16 months ago and I have not had a slow crank since.
- I still get compliments and admiring looks. People like the car. My neighbors love the NPP exhaust and the start up bark! Again I got lucky in that the Hyper Blue color with silver rally stripes sets the car apart from the crowd - at least it does in my part of the world.

I have not owned my '16 HBM as long as you, but I can say I feel exactly like you do for how long I have owned it. Nice write up and review... Thx!
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

Would you mind copying your post to this thread?
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #6
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
I have surpassed 140k on my 2017…hasn’t gotten old yet but I do yern for a v8, however my insurance would skyrocket.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
98ss1le

Drives: 98SS1LE, 02EBZ06
Nice write up on your ownership. I am considering upgrading from my 1998 SS to a 2023 LT1 in Riverside Blue this year. We have a weekend home on Lake Murray.
98ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #8
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Would you mind copying your post to this thread?
No problem. Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ss1le View Post
Nice write up on your ownership. I am considering upgrading from my 1998 SS to a 2023 LT1 in Riverside Blue this year. We have a weekend home on Lake Murray.
Soon pollen season will be over and boating season will begin. We love living at Lake Murray - just need to use our boat more this year!

Good luck with the LT1 purchase - you will love the 6th Gen platform.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 04-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #9
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Attached Images

Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
osubuckeye

Drives: 2016 2LT Gamet Red Tintcoat
Purchased my 2016 Camaro RS in Feb 2016 and except for routine maintenance have not had other expenses. Best car I have ever owned.
osubuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:52 AM   #11
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalLDMC View Post
I just hope I can say the same in 6 years with my 2022 RS. Once the salt and snow are gone it's out to Yellowstone. Then Devils Lake in N.D. I'd like to hit 25,000 before putting it up for winter.
I really think that the people who store our cars during the white hell season really do have a greater appreciation for our cars as we can only enjoy them for a certain amount of time!

I got my car back in May of 2018 so this last winter would’ve been my 3rd storage season. The day I’m able to pull the car out honestly feels like delivery day from the dealer! I’ve driven a lot of fun cars during my short time on this planet so far and I swear from my head down below nothing gets me out of bed all excited knowing I can drive my Camaro each day. I truly believe that my car will be with me until the day I die… that’s how much I LOVE this car
Attached Images

Last edited by Azerlazer26; 04-13-2022 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Posted image of car!
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the 2016 Camaro was truly a landmark Camaro. Congratulations.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
I really think that the people who store our cars during the white hell season really do have a greater appreciation for our cars as we can only enjoy them for a certain amount of time!

I got my car back in May of 2018 so this last winter would’ve been my 3rd storage season. The day I’m able to pull the car out honestly feels like delivery day from the dealer! I’ve driven a lot of fun cars during my short time on this planet so far and I swear from my head down below nothing gets me out of bed all excited knowing I can drive my Camaro each day. I truly believe that my car will be with me until the day I die… that’s how much I LOVE this car

^^^^^What he said!!!!^^^^^^

Just got mine out a few weeks ago! Going back to work, I love my commute every day, errands, any excuse to push that Vrooom! button and drive!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Here you go:
Attached Images

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)