Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
nuttunen

Drives: Chevy camaro
Unhappy 2014 Camaro 2LS Coupe 3.6L V6 DOHC 24V FFV, engine stuck

Hello,

I have the above vehicle and the problem at hand. Background:
- I was driving on a small road ~30 MPH and suddenly the engine stalled.
- No start no crank
- No smoke or abnormal noises observed

I towed the vehicle home and did the following observations:
- Battery good
- Engine turns about 1/12th of turn and stops (like it would stop on a "metal", "sharp click" noise both ways)
- If I turn the engine 1/12th of a turn back, the starter turns it until stop.

What would be most potential issue, based on my investigation it is engine internal issue.
- Timing chains? (if this is the case engine being interference engine it would have broken valves/pistons)
- I assume this is not very likely a crank shaft issue ?

Vehicle has salvage title for body damage, it was running good until this. Engine has about 84,000 miles and oil level was OK when this happened.

Thank you for your hints or experiences.
nuttunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It sounds like your investigation is correct. You can't be sure until it is disassembled and inspected, but it definitely sounds like some internal contact is happening.

Don't try to start it anymore. You will likely damage more parts unnecessarily.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
The LFX is an interference engine. Sounds like a problem with the timing chain allowing the valves to hit the pistons.

Maybe the previous accident caused something to get damaged, misaligned or bent and it finally let go when you were driving it on that road.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok to me you are putting the cart before the horse.Take off the accessory belt.See of it turns. If still not.Take off the starter and the cover for either the torque converter or the clutch.
Inspect as necessary to make sure there is nothing jamming it up from the back side.If you have an auto trans remove the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate.
This way you are eliminating most of the external things that could be jamming it up.
Most likely it’s the engine but I have seen weird stuff in the past that would do the same thing.
Flywheels or bolts that jam it up.Flexplates cracked and forward transmission pumps that locked up.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #5
nuttunen

Drives: Chevy camaro
Thank you for the advices!

Meanwhile I took it to a local mechanic and he said engine is Seized. He removed the accessory belt ($60 diagnostics fee). Vehicle is back in my garage now. I don’t really trust him as he was quickly offering me $300 to take vehicle off my hands and sounded disappointed when I told him put it back together, so I can take it out.

Unfortunately I do not have space, tools and courage to start taking the engine out and identify the issue.

Do you think it would make any sense to take it to Chevy dealership ? Is there a remote possibility I could get Chevy to split the bill?
Any recommendation for a repair garage North Atlanta, GA suburbs ?
nuttunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
[QUOTE=nuttunen;10820106]
Do you think it would make any sense to take it to Chevy dealership ? Is there a remote possibility I could get Chevy to split the bill?
QUOTE]

No and on a 84,000 mile 6 year salvage title old vehicle, no way in Hell.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
What a crook. $300 for a 5th gen Camaro? Even salvage title, it's worth more than $6k.

The good thing is the 3.6L LFX is a dime a dozen at the junkyards. Just find a good low mile engine and have a shop install it.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, engine, rebuild, stall, v6 24v