Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #15
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcd3ss View Post
Any ideas on what may have caused this damage on only one cylinder?
Boost on a non boost capable piston. Pistons designed for boost are very different... much beefier ring lands, crowns, dished to direct the pressure to the center of the piston vs the edge.

In an NA motor, flat top piston is a great piston design to distribute the load. In boost, it's a horrible - too much pressure on the outside ring lands.

I would say you did not burn a piston, you knocked a chunk of ring land out. If you have cats, they need to be checked.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #16
Hcd3ss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/RS
Thanks so much guys that makes a lot more sense. Lifted ring land sounds completely possible. As far as where the chunk went is still a mystery.. but I can live with that. And no I don’t have cats, do still have stock mufflers tho. But (maybe I shouldn’t say this here) if that tiny piece of piston is in the mufflers it’s just gonna have to stay there lol.. but thanks again to everyone for All the advice, I feel much better now.
Hcd3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
yup running lean in the back eats the pistons there....and then you hammered the hell out of the chunk with it smacking the valve like a bazillion times until it turned into pieces hitting the valve and piston...…….. those scars on the piston tell a story as does the chamber..... good luck.

Tags
engine, piston, turbo