Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #15
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
My favorite expression... "everything is relative"... One recent post was two rear end accidents on his gen 6... I feel real bad for you and him alike... If I had my choice, I'd rather have a new engine for free than a twice fixed up body with all the hassle.

Anybody getting rid of this great car because they "might" have a problem under warranty is really a pessimist.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #16
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSHYBOY View Post
Anybody getting rid of this great car because they "might" have a problem under warranty is really a pessimist.
With this comment, you are correct, and I know when you read forums, you hear more about complaints than the ones that are running perfectly.

While I am not sure on the OP, in my case, I bought my 2011 in January 2013. I sold it and bought my gen6 in April 2016. At this point, in 3.5 years of owning the newer Camaros, I have logged over a year of shop time. I have people wondering how many cars I own as I am always seen in a rental or a loaner. I have never had this many issues with anything except the 76 Mustang II that was my first car. It does start to get old.

While any other car can and will have its own issues, losing an engine under 3000 miles can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Just as paying for a 2SS convertible and spending more time driving a Malibu or an Equinox leaves a bad taste in mine.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSHYBOY View Post
My favorite expression... "everything is relative"... One recent post was two rear end accidents on his gen 6... I feel real bad for you and him alike... If I had my choice, I'd rather have a new engine for free than a twice fixed up body with all the hassle.

Since 2010 I have bought 5 new Chevrolet's. 2011 Malibu LTZ, 2012 Camaro SS, 2013 Malibu LT, 2014 Camaro LT/RS, and 2016 Camaro SS for me, wife, and kids. To date this is the only issue. I'm not thinking about getting rid of my SS. I love the car. Going to let the warranty process play out. But it stings for sure
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #18
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
With this comment, you are correct, and I know when you read forums, you hear more about complaints than the ones that are running perfectly.

While I am not sure on the OP, in my case, I bought my 2011 in January 2013. I sold it and bought my gen6 in April 2016. At this point, in 3.5 years of owning the newer Camaros, I have logged over a year of shop time. I have people wondering how many cars I own as I am always seen in a rental or a loaner. I have never had this many issues with anything except the 76 Mustang II that was my first car. It does start to get old.

While any other car can and will have its own issues, losing an engine under 3000 miles can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Just as paying for a 2SS convertible and spending more time driving a Malibu or an Equinox leaves a bad taste in mine.
Agreed. These cars aren't cheap. You want to drive what you paid for!! That is what I'm going to hate the most. Driving anything other than my car for weeks or possibly months. It sucks no matter how you slice it!!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
The LT1 is having engine issues? You don't say!
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
The1 going for the ban hammer this time. Maybe they will finally take you off now.

I'll post what my observation was now that they smoked the thread. I think your post was relevant before it spiraled out of control.

If you're being honest about how many LT1's were there at once for shortblock problems, which I didn't really doubt or you wouldn't have got so mad about the fanboys going off on you. With a comparable % of failures in a Honda Accord it would be about the same as there being 25 Accords at the dealer for short block problems at once.

Statistically it's almost impossible for it to happen unless there is a problem with some of these engines, or it's an almost unbelievably improbable coincidence.

Another member posted that it might end up a .25% failure rate which isn't bad, but engines going down with failed cranks/bearings this early in their life cycles is a bit unsettling. If I eventually do get a Cam6 it would be nice to know that maybe I should think about preserving the factory warranty. They should either be good or fail within a year or two, then mod them.

Time has yet to tell us a lot about this engine reliability as it's only been in 105,000+/- vettes and probably 30,000 or so SS cars.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #21
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
The1 going for the ban hammer this time. Maybe they will finally take you off now.

I'll post what my observation was now that they smoked the thread. I think your post was relevant before it spiraled out of control.

If you're being honest about how many LT1's were there at once for shortblock problems, which I didn't really doubt or you wouldn't have got so mad about the fanboys going off on you. With a comparable % of failures in a Honda Accord it would be about the same as there being 25 Accords at the dealer for short block problems at once.

Statistically it's almost impossible for it to happen unless there is a problem with some of these engines, or it's an almost unbelievably improbable coincidence.

Another member posted that it might end up a .25% failure rate which isn't bad, but engines going down with failed cranks/bearings this early in their life cycles is a bit unsettling. If I eventually do get a Cam6 it would be nice to know that maybe I should think about preserving the factory warranty. They should either be good or fail within a year or two, then mod them.

Time has yet to tell us a lot about this engine reliability as it's only been in 105,000+/- vettes and probably 30,000 or so SS cars.
I truly feel bad for anyone with a performance car that has engine failure. I wish I could say something to help the person. It's always going to happen though to someone and you never know when.

People have pushed this engine to produce twice the rated output and it hasn't failed (C7). Magnuson does offers a free 3 year/36k warranty on your power train with the purchase of the Heartbeat blower. It's not a great warranty but it tells you that they have some level of confidence in this engine to hand out free coverage to someone adding boost.

I've pushed my car pretty good and have been running a supercharger now for about 4k miles and (knocks on wood) not a peep of an issue. I wouldn't punish yourself though by waiting that long if you want to mod. I'd be more reluctant if I had an early production car though.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #22
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
True. For most people that long may not be necessary but I'm an 8K miles a year guy. Even if some of those vette engines were 3 years old we don't know what how many miles were on them and seems they tend to run hotter if pushed hard than the SS. Most don't see normal DD type of miles. I would be just trying to give the Cam6 LT1 engine the time it needs to "go, or blow". I couldn't risk $10k+ for a new engine if the stealership says a CAI, catchcan, ported TB, etc.. voided my warranty. It would be a financial disaster for me.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #23
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
So aside from the annoying guy, how has it been handled OP?

"Out of loaner cars" is a complete BS excuse as they easily put you in a rentacar without much hassle.

As far as having issues, yup, they all have them.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #24
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
So aside from the annoying guy, how has it been handled OP?

"Out of loaner cars" is a complete BS excuse as they easily put you in a rentacar without much hassle.

As far as having issues, yup, they all have them.
***Update***

I didn't hear back from the dealership until around 1:00PM today after I called Chevrolet Customer Service. Then all of a sudden every one from the GM to the Service Manager was blowing up my phone and a loaner Malibu magically appeared. Had a long talk with the service manager. All they know is the engine is locked up. They can't figure out where the oil went as there are no leaks, why no low oil light came on, and when you start it the oil pressure shows 40 psi. They said they have to break the engine down to see where it failed. And decide if they can fixed what is broken or give me a new engine. This is a true mystery
Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #25
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
***Update***

I didn't hear back from the dealership until around 1:00PM today after I called Chevrolet Customer Service. Then all of a sudden every one from the GM to the Service Manager was blowing up my phone and a loaner Malibu magically appeared. Had a long talk with the service manager. All they know is the engine is locked up. They can't figure out where the oil went as there are no leaks, why no low oil light came on, and when you start it the oil pressure shows 40 psi. They said they have to break the engine down to see where it failed. And decide if they can fixed what is broken or give me a new engine. This is a true mystery
Happens with every motor unfortunately. You will get this covered and things will work itself out. Glad you're taking it pretty well and I know it's upsetting.

Keep us updated!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #26
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Happens with every motor unfortunately. You will get this covered and things will work itself out. Glad you're taking it pretty well and I know it's upsetting.

Keep us updated!
Will do!!! But what can I do? I can only control what I can control. It stings really bad. Having a fit over it won't change anything. I learned about 10 years ago to try hard to never get upset over things you can't control!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #27
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
***Update***

Thanks for the update. By chance was your car part of the oil pickup tube recall?
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #28
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Thanks for the update. By chance was your car part of the oil pickup tube recall?
It was.. The same dealer checked it out and stated I didn't need any work.