Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Sk8Lakai8

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1lt
Unhappy Idle revving after installing new manifold and throttle body

Idk if this is the correct board to post on so I'm having some trouble here. Recently got my 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold from overkill. I feel kinda well like I shouldn't have done this on my own but I did. So after checking everything and going over it at least 3 times. I finally made sure there was no lose cables or air leaking. After turning my car on it had a rough start for a good 30 seconds at most. Then it will calm down and idle at 500rpm. When i step on the accelerator while parked the rpms junk up to 4 and then back down again. Man I'm doing everything wrong at this point. I took it for a short drive down the street and back up. The car literally wants to accelerate on its own i have to brake for it to stop. When i stopped to make the turn the rpms were going between 1-2k. It would calm down once again but if i started to go and lets say for example i park to the side it will repeat. Wonder what it could be honestly. I do know the car needs a retune at this time. No check engine light has popped up either
Sk8Lakai8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Sounds like you need a tune
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Intake leak, sounds like.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I just installed the same throttle body and intake manifold on my v6 engine. Did you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery in the trunk? If not, do it now. I left mine disconnected for approximately an hour. What that does is reset your ECU, so your car will begin to process the increased airflow you are giving it much more quickly. After reset, let your car idle for approximately 10 minutes. Then take it out and cruise low to mid throttle. Drive somewhere where you can drive 60-70 mph and give it a good heavy throttle. Ease back to 20-30 mph and do it again. This should give your ECU enough to start with. As time and miles go by with your driving habits, the car continue to learn and adjust accordingly.

And as I think about it, when Danhr said intake leak, I'm just curious. Did you swap out the 6 gaskets from the old manifold and put them on the new before installing it?

That said, I'd get the tune as well if you can. I also purchased it from Overkill and it's worth it.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Tune or intake leak,
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:11 AM   #6
Sk8Lakai8

No i didnt swap out the 6 gaskets from the old manifold. Didnt know I could do that. Maybe thats the issue at the moment so I would have to repeat the whole process once again. I'll disconnect the negative terminal battery today once i get home from work and see what happens. Test it out for a drive. Before that I'm take a look at the old manifold for the gaskets. Will update further today
Old 02-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Lakai8 View Post
No i didnt swap out the 6 gaskets from the old manifold. Didnt know I could do that. Maybe thats the issue at the moment so I would have to repeat the whole process once again. I'll disconnect the negative terminal battery today once i get home from work and see what happens. Test it out for a drive. Before that I'm take a look at the old manifold for the gaskets. Will update further today
That is 100% your issue. Put those on and it should drive fine.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
Sk8Lakai8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Thank you so much jake that was my problem it does idle just at 500 other than that gave it some gas to test it and rpms stayed low. How much a seal gasket can make a difference. So now ima go test drive it and get some data to send to overkill shortly
Old 02-08-2020, 03:46 AM   #9
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
I literally just installed the same items in my car and had the same exact problem. So here's what fixed mine. When will from overkill sends you the new ported intake manifold it does not have the green o rings on, you have to remove these green o rings from your stock intake manifold and put into your new ported intake manifold make sure to tighten the bolts down as you would a tire to get even press on those o rings. If that doesn't fix it you need a tune but it def fixed it for me and a tune made it even better. Hope this helps
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Sk8Lakai8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudsmaro View Post
I literally just installed the same items in my car and had the same exact problem. So here's what fixed mine. When will from overkill sends you the new ported intake manifold it does not have the green o rings on, you have to remove these green o rings from your stock intake manifold and put into your new ported intake manifold make sure to tighten the bolts down as you would a tire to get even press on those o rings. If that doesn't fix it you need a tune but it def fixed it for me and a tune made it even better. Hope this helps
Thx got it fixed 2 days ago and yea had to get the rings off the old one and move em onto the new one. The car is doing fine now and better just needs a retune
Old 04-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
1quick6

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I just installed the ported intake manifold and and 80mm tb from overkill, but now my car is running kinda crappy. My other mods are a trifecta tune with a afe cold air intake...trifecta had me do some data logging for the new tune with the parts installed, and they said that I could drive the car with everything installed...is that just what I need? A new tune? My mpg went to crap after the install!
1quick6 is offline   Reply With Quote