Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 12-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
01cbr929

Drives: Which one?
ZL1 1LE SC3R to PS4S

I wanted to share my experience on this transition.

First: How do I use my car?
I drive it 1-1.5k miles annually with SC3Rs, in part to them being a warm weather, fair weather tire. However a hot day, and with some heat in them... of course we all know they are amazing. However, even on a warm day it takes a number of miles to really get them warm on the street. So in reality I bet only 10-15% if my driving would be in conditions where the tires gripped in the ballpark as they were designed. Being in Nashville, its far from warm enough year round to drive them throughout the year.... fast forward to my tire purchase.

When looking... I was narrowing it down to SC3's and PS4S. Of course we all know the SC3s are superior in dry/warmer environments. And while I don't plan to drive the ZLE in the rain... the SC3 is a solid fit for a tire that isn't as track focused as a SC3R.

However I have been reading rumors of the SC3 going away.. or at least in select sizes. I hoped on Goodyear's website... and when you populate a ZLE as your car... they only show 3's as a fit. I decided that was enough to push me to the PS4S tires. While I haven't put but 50 miles on them. They grip so much more when I first pull out of the garage on a mild day (50-60 degrees) it isn't even funny. We all know the 3Rs are trash in those temps.

I know the max limit in ideal conditions won't be the same, but I fully believe for a street use tire it is hard to beat the PS4S. This is my first set... I have had PSS's in the past however on other cars.

In short... if you have been on the fence about pulling the trigger and you drive your car strictly on the street, I highly doubt you will have any regrets going to the PS4S. I wish I did it sooner - perhaps while the 3Rs had life where I could have sold them.