Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Centri Head unit setups: Shared belt drive Vs. Dedicated drive

Quick question for the experienced, especially with Centri type setups:

I am looking at the specific Procharger kit released to the market not too long ago, which retains the factory airbox and is supposed to be CARB compliant as well.

This system works on the basis of sharing the serpentine PK 6 Rib of the AC and Alternator.
What is the main disadvantage of such setup Vs. a system in which the Head Unit's belt is a dedicated one (I.E. the PC "regular" non-CARB CA Kit, Vortex Novi1500, Etc.).
One immediate disadvantage that I can think of, in case of shared belt failure is, that you immediately lose Alternator/ Battery Charge and AC.
What else is a weak point of such setup?
Are there any advantages at all?

Personally, my interest is in the fact that engine bay remains pretty close to stock in its appearance (I do not care about CARB compliance) and the plan is not to boost higher than ~ 7-8 PSI on a P1X HU on straight 93 pump (no E content at all) adding the LT4 fueling to this setup.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience

Last edited by Eldi Z; 08-04-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Subject matter not clear enough
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Eldi Z

Bump...
Can nobody share some useful experience and knowledge on this issue?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
Eldi Z

Giving it another try with a hope for some wisdom and inputs from the knowledgeable people....
Old 08-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
ZT zoomin on Youtube put a Carb legal Procharger kit on his SS that is the revised design. It looked like it worked ok...the Procharger tune was garbage. They did send him several revisions which were better but in the end I gave him some pointers and he dialed it in his self.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
ZT zoomin on Youtube put a Carb legal Procharger kit on his SS that is the revised design. It looked like it worked ok...the Procharger tune was garbage. They did send him several revisions which were better but in the end I gave him some pointers and he dialed it in his self.
Thanks for the input! The "canned" (cater-for-all) tune, which is provided by the kit manufacturer is usually pretty irrelevant, since a proper "Tuner's Tune" is a MUST for a sensible person, who appreciates the value of best/efficient power delivery and most important, safety and longevity of his setup.

I was referring exclusively to the mechanics (hardware) side of things, when opting for a design, in which the belt is shared with the other components Vs. a dedicated belt / drive utilized for the SC's Head-Unit exclusively.
How well can such a "shared belt" design hold up for a longer period and perform.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It will likely hold up well at lower boost levels but it's not going to be a good direction to go if you plan on running higher boost levels down the road.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It will likely hold up well at lower boost levels but it's not going to be a good direction to go if you plan on running higher boost levels down the road.
What I thought.
According to your experience and knowledge with such "shared belt" designs (remember also that it is a 6-Rib - Not 10...), what do you think would be the maximum - and still safe - boost level on a P1SC HU?