Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Tow Hook Powdercoat Fading?

Anyone else have this issue with ZL1Addons hooks? I've had it installed for less than 6 months and the black is noticeably faded and I have noticed for past few months so it faded in a very short time. I've had plenty of stuff powdercoated gloss black (and other colors) for the past 20yrs and never have noticed any of it fading, even 10yr old powdercoat.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Call them

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #3
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Call them
I did and they said nothing they can do and curious how many others have faded hooks. I bought a gloss black hook so it would blend in with my black car and did nicely at first.

In my opinion, this should not happen to a $165 tow hook in such a short period of time. If there would have been a disclaimer on their site stating it would fade in less than 6 months, I would never have purchased it.

Attached a picture I sent them, ignore the dirty car. Maybe I'm being too anal about the fading, but if it's already faded this much in such a short time it'll only get worse (and more tacky looking)
Attached Images

- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 03-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I would be pissed. $165 is not chump change. Sounds like they do not back their product.

Get some Krylon and repaint it.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Blast them all over social media until they fix it. Now I regret supporting this company because WTF??? Hell charge it back with your credit card. You may need to call in, but 6 months isn't beyond the actual window, just the standard online form window.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I would be pissed. $165 is not chump change. Sounds like they do not back their product.

Get some Krylon and repaint it.
Thanks, I'm glad I am not alone in thinking this is BS.

I'm not trying to flame them, truly am curious if everyone else that owns one has the same fading because I am not buying their excuse for not standing behind their product... plus my own experience with powdercoat says otherwise.

I'll get it redone in gloss black powdercoat next time I get stuff powdercoated, just aggravating I even have too after dropping the extra money to buy from them. Definitely won't ever order anything from them again knowing they don't stand behind what they make.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #7
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Blast them all over social media until they fix it. Now I regret supporting this company because WTF??? Hell charge it back with your credit card. You may need to call in, but 6 months isn't beyond the actual window, just the standard online form window.
I'd rather not put them on blast, outside this thread, but do believe it would be deserved. I like the charge back idea, I'll look into doing that for sure.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
They earned the flaming when they said there's nothing they can do. You gave them a chance to rectify their failure, they chose violence.

It's one thing if it's a $25 hook off of Amazon through some fly-by-night reseller of Alibaba goods, but this is supposed to be a premium, proud to be US made, component. If that's their stance on it, they deserve to lose all future customers. If I was warned about this shit tier practice ahead of time, you would've saved me over $750.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I did and they said nothing they can do and curious how many others have faded hooks. I bought a gloss black hook so it would blend in with my black car and did nicely at first.

In my opinion, this should not happen to a $165 tow hook in such a short period of time. If there would have been a disclaimer on their site stating it would fade in less than 6 months, I would never have purchased it.

Attached a picture I sent them, ignore the dirty car. Maybe I'm being too anal about the fading, but if it's already faded this much in such a short time it'll only get worse (and more tacky looking)
Repaint the hook?
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #10
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
They earned the flaming when they said there's nothing they can do. You gave them a chance to rectify their failure, they chose violence.

It's one thing if it's a $25 hook off of Amazon through some fly-by-night reseller of Alibaba goods, but this is supposed to be a premium, proud to be US made, component. If that's their stance on it, they deserve to lose all future customers. If I was warned about this shit tier practice ahead of time, you would've saved me over $750.
My thoughts about the situation to a tee.

I should add that I sent pictures on 2/11/22 and after not hearing back from them after almost 4 full weeks I replied back again on 3/3/22 with yet another pic. They did reply the following day stating nothing they can do and blamed the sun and car cleaning products. I literally only have used soap and water on my car since installing the hook AND car is garaged), as well as stating how their own tow hooks fade (which means this is a known issue).

I got the feeling they just hoped I would just pound sand by not replying and their eventual reply stated as much.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:09 PM   #11
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
I’ve got a red one and have not seen the fading on mine, but my car is barely driven and lives mostly in the garage. With that said, I think it’s a shame a company like that that caters to those of us in the camaro community treats its customers like liars. $165 is most definitely not chump change for a part that cost them pennies on the dollar to make. There’s something else on their site I was planning to get, but I may hold off on that now.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:41 AM   #12
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

I heehawed on starting the thread, but most definitely glad I did share my experience to give others a heads up of what happened.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:48 AM   #13
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm certainly not excusing their reply, but have you tried polishing it? I had a tail light/license plate assembly on my Harley that would get that same weird dull haze to it every once in a while. It was black powder coat as well. It would always shine back up after a quick buff and polish. Might be worth a shot before you recoat it or sell it.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #14
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheeltat View Post
I'm certainly not excusing their reply, but have you tried polishing it? I had a tail light/license plate assembly on my Harley that would get that same weird dull haze to it every once in a while. It was black powder coat as well. It would always shine back up after a quick buff and polish. Might be worth a shot before you recoat it or sell it.
That's a great idea. Honestly didn't even think about polishing it, no reason that wouldn't work. It would be a temporarily since it'll do it again in a few months. But would hold me off until I get it refinished with quality powder that won't fade so quick, if at all.

Still blows my mind they admitted fading supposedly happens to even their own this quick and they don't ever mention a disclaimer. Sad part is this is a super easy fix, get quality powder. Sure it will cost a little more, but damn thing is $165 I'm sure there's room for a little less profit to have a product that looks nice for years.

I suppose on the positive side of this whole thing, when I get it refinished I can go with a more unique color than the norm. Maybe a gray to match the wheels, flowtie and rear emblem or go wild with Shocker Yellow.