Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 AM   #15
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
He said his is run flat.

Don't care. If you don't have a spare tire you're in an idiot imo.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:57 AM   #16
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi kappa alpha View Post
Don't care. If you don't have a spare tire you're in an idiot imo.
Many vehicle does not comes with spare from factory.
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 AM   #17
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Guys, please please please do not drive around without a spare tire. I don't care if it has to ride in your backseat. It makes ZERO since to not have one. Why put yourselves in these types of situations?
...dafuq you get a 19 or 20 in the car to begin with? The jack?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:25 AM   #18
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
I also have a tire warrantee and have used it on one tire so far. And the great thing about it, is that I don't have to go to the dealer to replace the tire. Most local shops also accept these tire and extended car repair warrantees which I also purchased from the dealer at a reasonable price. Well worth the extra money. Over the long run most of these warrantees end up paying for themselves.

Run flats are the best. Just being able to still drive with a flat gives me great piece of mind.

Its true, when I bought my gen 5 and gen 6 1SS I was not offered or told about the wheel and tire warrantee. I certainly could have used it then, a few times.

Its like "renters insurance" if you live in an apartment. Many people don't have it and not know about it and how much it protects you in a fire, flood, burglary or someone getting hurt in your apt or getting bit in the face by a rescue dog you adopted [but had to return speaking from experience obviously]. As a first responder I can attest to this lack of knowledge in times of tragedy. Even some of my coworkers are ignorant. After helping a distraught family out of their apt I tell them "Now go get that renters insurance right after work!"
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #19
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
No offense to anyone who likes the OEM tires... but I'm not interested in paying to protect them.

Obviously they came with the car, so I'm running them to get my money's worth. After I use them up I want to go non RF. I'd like to pay about 50% for non RF which will hopefully last twice as long, be all-season, and deliver a softer ride. I already put a spare in my trunk which is nice piece of mind.

Wheels America is currently asking $250 for refurbs for my car. If I need a wheel or tire, I'll figure it out. Different stroke for different folks

For anyone wondering how much space the spare tire takes up I'll post some images below of my last trip to Wally World. I have vehicles with larger trunks, but even with the spare, the Camaro is a perfectly fine grocery getter...

Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #20
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Many vehicle does not comes with spare from factory.
Yeah so go and BUY ONE.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #21
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Yeah so go and BUY ONE.
Did i said im going to buy one?

Please dont tell me you didnt know about run flat tires before. Lmao.
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #22
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
1st, for my LaCrosse, the dealer asked if I wanted the $1,000 wheel and tire warranty. Ummmmm no.

2nd, remind us again why you need a spare tire if you have run flats? I could see your logic a little bit on cars with inflator kits (also common), because as OP points out it was a sidewall issue and those don't seal well and can't be repaired.

So unless your logic is to be able to drive around for unlimited miles on the spare, which would put you back in the same position of not having a spare, I'm not getting it. Run flats are as good as the compact spares you get in many cars for speed and miles of use. And definitely not worth calling someone and idiot.

A full size spare was an option on my SS and it had the same wheel as the fronts. Was a nice thing to have but the car didn't have run flats.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
I got some kind of package that has wheel and tire,key fob replacement and dings and dents for $7 a month,the only additional thing i got through finance,ive used the tire repair once and now the same tire is losing air will have to take back to dealer and hopefully will replace this time around
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #24
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Had one for my 5th gen used the warranty 4 times for the tires never needed for the rims.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Thread has gone to shit because a member is bashing folks who have runflats without a spare...95% of SS owners.

Just for clarity, the wheel and tire package covers whatever wheel that is damaged, not just OEM. Therefore, after you replace the runflats due to wear the coverage will continue on your next set. It doesn’t cover tires that are worn beyond legal limits but does cover just about everything else.

It’s a good peace of mind coupled with AAA or roadside assistance on the auto insurance.

A spare hasn’t been included on my last 3 car purchases and it hasn’t compromised me in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #26
mmadden2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
A spare hasn’t been included on my last 3 car purchases and it hasn’t compromised me in any way.
That's interesting, the Camaro is the only car out of my last 3 that hasn't come with one. I hope preferring to have a spare doesn't make me a bad guy
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #27
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
While it won't cover your wheels, I recommend the Road Hazard warranty from Discount Tire if you have a store in your area. I got all 4 of my tires covered for alittle over $100... If the damage is repairable, they repair it for free. If it isn't they replace it for free, with the only exception is you have to pay about $25 to put Road Hazard on the replacement tire.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #28
mmadden2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
While it won't cover your wheels, I recommend the Road Hazard warranty from Discount Tire if you have a store in your area. I got all 4 of my tires covered for alittle over $100... If the damage is repairable, they repair it for free. If it isn't they replace it for free, with the only exception is you have to pay about $25 to put Road Hazard on the replacement tire.
That doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Are you saying you can get that on you existing original tires or on new replacement tires? What tires did you choose?