Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #43
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Just a few observations after reading this whole thread:

1. If your Camaro didn’t have the skip-shift, you would have paid $1,300 more because of the gas-guzzler tax.

2. It is a violation of federal law for a dealer to install a skip-shift, because it affects emissions and CAFE standards. This is also why a dealer cannot program out the skip-shift function. The EPA takes these violations very seriously, and the fines have a lot of zeros in them.

3. Technically, your installing an eliminator could void the drivetrain portion of your warranty, but I’ve never heard of a dealer or manufacturer pursuing that.

4. I installed CAGS eliminators on my C5 and C6, because both cars were practically undriveable without one. However, I’ve only hit the skip-shift once in my 1SS 1LE, because I wasn’t paying attention at the time. With a cold engine, accelerating gently to around 1,900 rpm - or accelerating even a little “briskly” when the engine is warmed up - makes adding the eliminator unnecessary, as far as I’m concerned. YMMV.
I know there’s people on this forum who’ve asked their dealer to install it during PDI the day they picked it up and the dealer was fine with it. The car will never fail 50 state emission inspections with it installed and there’s no trick software telling the car to report a different emission reading than what is actually being emitted (as in VW/Audi’s Diesel debacle).

Besides, with the direction the current administration wants to take the EPA don’t be surprised if one day catalytic converters go away and cars go back to leaded gas.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #44
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Lately, I've been able to avoid the lockout pretty much altogether. Getting out of my short-shift habit helped quite a bit. This was a mod I'd swear I'd get, but I'm not so sure I need it anymore.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:41 AM   #45
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
4 pages on a skip shift eliminator. Some times you cant just accelerate harder. 1st time it happened to me on my 5th gen i was behind someone going real slow. I needed 2nd gear. shifted into 4th and almost stalled it. Im not the kind of ass hole to be driving around at 3000rpm doing 15mph because im not going fast enough to shift int 4th.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #46
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
4 pages on a skip shift eliminator. Some times you cant just accelerate harder. 1st time it happened to me on my 5th gen i was behind someone going real slow. I needed 2nd gear. shifted into 4th and almost stalled it. Im not the kind of ass hole to be driving around at 3000rpm doing 15mph because im not going fast enough to shift int 4th.
Of course to each his own, but you're talking around 2.4K rpm in 1st, hardly an inconvenience or a significant fuel economy issue for such a short duration.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #47
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i had 3.91 gears but still 2400rpm is a little high
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #48
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This is my 4th GM car with skip shift (previously 2000 SS, C5 Z06, C6 Z06 ) ..
I have a habit of going from 1st to 3rd when skipshift activates.. kinda awkward.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #49
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I've had this before on my old 4th gen and it would literally lock out 2nd gear when activated unless you got the eliminator. My new 6th gen doesn't block me from going to 2nd. I get the message and that's it. Am I missing something?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #50
Crazed_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
I've had this before on my old 4th gen and it would literally lock out 2nd gear when activated unless you got the eliminator. My new 6th gen doesn't block me from going to 2nd. I get the message and that's it. Am I missing something?
That's normal.

What's happening is skipshift activates, but maybe you stay on the gas a little longer so it doesnt lock out 2nd.

One odd thing I've noticed with mine is sometimes I get an audible chime when skip shift activates. Not sure why that happens.. maybe 1 out of 50 times.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #51
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_1LE View Post
That's normal.

What's happening is skipshift activates, but maybe you stay on the gas a little longer so it doesnt lock out 2nd.

One odd thing I've noticed with mine is sometimes I get an audible chime when skip shift activates. Not sure why that happens.. maybe 1 out of 50 times.
Must be a small window. After talking with another 1LE owner at a local cars and coffee yesterday, He told me the first thing he bought was the eliminator. He said his locks out 2nd when the message comes up so I tried shifting into 2nd earlier to see if it would do it and nothing. 850+ miles on the car and see the message all the time but not once have I been blocked from going to 2nd. I'll try again next time I take it out to shift to 2nd the moment the message comes up.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #52
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_1LE View Post
I noticed that if I get a text through the phone, the normal audible chime plays when the "new text message" window displays in the DIC. If the Skip Shift window displays in the DIC shortly thereafter, the same audible chime happens. Some kind of a glitch that it's treating the Skip Shift notification like a new text message. I have an eliminator and it still happens.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #53
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Who bought their Camaro for fuel mileage. Not me.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #54
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Must be a small window. After talking with another 1LE owner at a local cars and coffee yesterday, He told me the first thing he bought was the eliminator. He said his locks out 2nd when the message comes up so I tried shifting into 2nd earlier to see if it would do it and nothing. 850+ miles on the car and see the message all the time but not once have I been blocked from going to 2nd. I'll try again next time I take it out to shift to 2nd the moment the message comes up.
Same thing with me. I get the message displayed on the DIC, but I do not get locked out of 2nd.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #55
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Funny thing happened with me. Before buying the car, I was already convinced that the skip shift eliminator would be my first mod. In my 40+ years of driving, I never owned anything but a stick shift, and I wasn't going to let this car decide what gear it was going to go in.

I ordered the Phastek eliminator the night before picking up the car. A few days later I had the part in hand ready to install, but like I said, a funny thing happened. To my complete and utter surprise, I found that I actually liked the skip-shift feature.

Still, I had already bought the eliminator, so that next weekend I got the car up on jack stands, crawled underneath, and started scoping out the job to be done. Even though I have small hands and all the tools I would have needed, it still looked like it was going to be an annoying job. And I just decided right then that I wanted to leave the feature on.

No regrets after 5 months and 1800 miles of ownership. I still like it. I like that I can negate it any time I want by simply waiting until at least 19 mph to shift. But more often than not when I'm driving around town (full of pedestrians, stop signs, stop lights, 25 mph limits, etc.), I TRY to make the skip-shift engage to save whatever gas I can. Why not? According to the Trip B odometer which I've never reset, the car is averaging 17.5 mpg and 25 mph since new. Without the skip-shift, I'm sure it would be worse.

I'll take it to the track soon, and I couldn't care less about the fuel economy at that point. And of course there are other times when I'm just going to have fun with the car and not think about the miles per gallon. In most of my every day driving, however, I like when the skip-shift happens.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #56
Crazed_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
I noticed that if I get a text through the phone, the normal audible chime plays when the "new text message" window displays in the DIC. If the Skip Shift window displays in the DIC shortly thereafter, the same audible chime happens. Some kind of a glitch that it's treating the Skip Shift notification like a new text message. I have an eliminator and it still happens.
Yes, I think this is it.

I got a text last night and immediately after, the skip shift message popped up and gave the chime.