Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Mjollnir

Drives: 2017 1LS White
Meth Cook'n up a fresh batch

As in Methane
93 octane is like no where to be found in or around the surrounding areas of
Los Angeles, so here I'm making a batch of my own in Santa Monica. Though it ain't cheap, my baby hits the charge pipe and freebases this stuff all day long.

Just want to say thanks as I found this link here on "camaro6.com" and now I roll my own.

-BN

https://find93.com/octane-mixture-calculator

Name:  RollYourOwn.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  126.6 KB
Mjollnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Just wanted to clear up an issue here. Mixing 93 with 100 does not get Methane. It doesn't get Meth, or Methanol either. It's still Gasohol.

From what I've been told, and have gleaned from my research, you're very lucky to have 100 Unleaded fuel being in CA! Looks like they are charging $9.999 per gallon? That's not the worst pricing I've seen. I get mine just outside Chicago, at the very far western edge of O'Hare Airport for $6.999 this season. Where is this pump located in Santa Monica? I'd love to know for future trips!

If you end up with an actual Methanol kit in the future, it looks like it shouldn't be difficult to find VP M1 nearby. https://vpracingfuels.com/product/m1/ It's a pretty cheap option compared to Snow Performance's Boost Juice. The cheapest I found Boost Juice on a quick search was around $10 per gallon. VP M1 is about $60 per 5 gallon pail, which equals $12 per gallon. Now I know you're thinking, Tommy, how's that cheaper?!?! Boost Juice is 49% Methanol and 51% Distilled Water. VP M1 is 99.95% Methanol, and you can add your own cheap $1 per gallon distilled water to bring your cost down to around $7-7.50 per gallon!

I'd try https://amberresources.com/ They are a local VP Reseller/Distributor in the Greater Los Angeles area, and state that they sell 5 gallon pails.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
Meth Aye?

Where is my Meth BITCH?

LMFAO

-Breaking Bad
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Mjollnir

Drives: 2017 1LS White
ChicagoTommy, thanks for posting the information running a methanol setup.
I've been the fence with this setup and one concern was supply. After following
the links you posted this stuff is everywhere around me, which is good know.
Yes, this gas station is located in Santa Monica, the corner of San Vicente Blvd
and Bundy and a gallon of this snake juice will cost you $10.00 even.
After filling up my suggestion would be to head back on Bundy and a few blocks
later make left on the famed Sunset Blvd when you hit the ocean make
a right and a few miles up by the shell station is the entrance to Topanga Canyon.
If driving up to the top and back at the limits of adhesion doesn't put a smile on
you face nothing will.

While doing the "Island pump shuffle" (filling up with 14 gals of 91 getting back
in the car putting it into reverse getting out and pumping another 4 gals of 100)
I came up the with name of this thread and at that point I could not help myself but to post it.
So yes, you're spot on...gasoline + gasoline = gasoline.

Thanks again Tommy,
Brad
Mjollnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Just wanted to clear up an issue here. Mixing 93 with 100 does not get Methane. It doesn't get Meth, or Methanol either. It's still Gasohol.

From what I've been told, and have gleaned from my research, you're very lucky to have 100 Unleaded fuel being in CA! Looks like they are charging $9.999 per gallon? That's not the worst pricing I've seen. I get mine just outside Chicago, at the very far western edge of O'Hare Airport for $6.999 this season. Where is this pump located in Santa Monica? I'd love to know for future trips!

If you end up with an actual Methanol kit in the future, it looks like it shouldn't be difficult to find VP M1 nearby. https://vpracingfuels.com/product/m1/ It's a pretty cheap option compared to Snow Performance's Boost Juice. The cheapest I found Boost Juice on a quick search was around $10 per gallon. VP M1 is about $60 per 5 gallon pail, which equals $12 per gallon. Now I know you're thinking, Tommy, how's that cheaper?!?! Boost Juice is 49% Methanol and 51% Distilled Water. VP M1 is 99.95% Methanol, and you can add your own cheap $1 per gallon distilled water to bring your cost down to around $7-7.50 per gallon!

I'd try https://amberresources.com/ They are a local VP Reseller/Distributor in the Greater Los Angeles area, and state that they sell 5 gallon pails.
In the summer time I can get M1 for $4.00/gal (all the circle track guys run it here)... I was gonna start making my own juice using the M1 and De-ionized water ... Buuut didn't quite get that far. Next year I guess.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@ View Post
In the summer time I can get M1 for $4.00/gal (all the circle track guys run it here)... I was gonna start making my own juice using the M1 and De-ionized water ... Buuut didn't quite get that far. Next year I guess.
You have so many projects and a little one, do you sleep?

geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
While doing the "Island pump shuffle" (filling up with 14 gals of 91 getting back
in the car putting it into reverse getting out and pumping another 4 gals of 100)
I came up the with name of this thread and at that point I could not help myself but to post it.
So yes, you're spot on...gasoline + gasoline = gasoline.

Thanks again Tommy,
Brad
If you want to know the ending octane of the fuels you mixed, you can use a very simple math equation.

Fuel Octane 100 x Gallons Filled 4 = 400; Fuel Octane 91 x Gallons Filled 14 = 1274 + 400 = 1674/18 = ending octane

100 x 4 = 400; 91 x 14 = 1274 + 400 = 1674/18 = 93 octane

So at the end of the day, you spent an extra $40 to run 93 octane... That doesn't seem worth it to me. However, there are some interesting "Race Fuel Additives" that have come to market in the past decade that would do a better job of raising your octane at a similar cost.

http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html

Adding 64oz will raise 20 gallons 91 octane to 20 gallons 102 octane! A 32oz bottle is $21 on their site, so for $42 you could have ended up with 102 octane!

However, that's all pointless without a tune that can specifically take advantage of the extra octane. Octane isn't some magical berry that magically increases HP. Octane is the measure of a fuels resistance to preignition (detonation). You want to use the smallest octane # fuel that can provide WOT acceleration without any preignition. That is the optimum combination for HP!

Popular Hot Rodding did an excellent article on the subject of pump gas vs. race gas in an engine that ran 91 octane fuel. Here is a link, but I'll copy the conclusion because it backs up everything I've already said.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0901p...#ixzz2C3ZUL0Ha

Conclusion
Filling your tank with high-octane fuel, when your engine runs fine with 91 octane, is a waste of money. In this engine’s case, minimal gains were achieved after a dozen dyno tests were made, and would be too small to notice at the track. The higher 118-octane fuel made less power than both the 110 and 91 octane.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
If you want to know the ending octane of the fuels you mixed, you can use a very simple math equation.

Fuel Octane 100 x Gallons Filled 4 = 400; Fuel Octane 91 x Gallons Filled 14 = 1274 + 400 = 1674/18 = ending octane

100 x 4 = 400; 91 x 14 = 1274 + 400 = 1674/18 = 93 octane

So at the end of the day, you spent an extra $40 to run 93 octane... That doesn't seem worth it to me. However, there are some interesting "Race Fuel Additives" that have come to market in the past decade that would do a better job of raising your octane at a similar cost.

http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html

Adding 64oz will raise 20 gallons 91 octane to 20 gallons 102 octane! A 32oz bottle is $21 on their site, so for $42 you could have ended up with 102 octane!

However, that's all pointless without a tune that can specifically take advantage of the extra octane. Octane isn't some magical berry that magically increases HP. Octane is the measure of a fuels resistance to preignition (detonation). You want to use the smallest octane # fuel that can provide WOT acceleration without any preignition. That is the optimum combination for HP!

Popular Hot Rodding did an excellent article on the subject of pump gas vs. race gas in an engine that ran 91 octane fuel. Here is a link, but I'll copy the conclusion because it backs up everything I've already said.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0901p...#ixzz2C3ZUL0Ha

Conclusion
Filling your tank with high-octane fuel, when your engine runs fine with 91 octane, is a waste of money. In this engine’s case, minimal gains were achieved after a dozen dyno tests were made, and would be too small to notice at the track. The higher 118-octane fuel made less power than both the 110 and 91 octane.
I generally agree with everything you've stated, but keep in mind that running a higher octane may not make additional power (unless tuned for it), but it does decrease the likelihood of detonation no matter what the tune. For example, GM recommends 99 octane for any LTG used in competitive racing and that's with the stock tune. Another example, with the record heat this summer, people can experience knock even with 91 octane in normal driving when air temp is in the 90s, which can be eliminated with 93/4+ octane.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote