Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
No it does not eliminate the prompt. No idea how to eliminate the skip shift message, I don't know that it is even possible.
It can be done but it requires going into the ECM and reprogramming it. Which if you’re going to do that you don’t even need the eliminator harness, you can just program the function out of operation completely.

But since reprogramming the ECM requires manufacturers software most dealers probably won’t do it for you.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Took me approximately 2 hours. I have medium size hands (others say I have large hands) and a pair of needle nose and long screw driver. DON'T ATTEMPT THIS MOD IF YOU HAVE BIG HANDS. Unless of course you have specialty tools It took a lot of patience.

Anyway, it works. Now when I take off at a crawl, the "1-4" message pops up (sometimes) but I can still shift into 2nd. I love having total control now.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #31
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
No it does not eliminate the prompt. No idea how to eliminate the skip shift message, I don't know that it is even possible.
would you have a recommendation on one? I would imagine they all work the same but i read about a review of someones going bad
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #32
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
would you have a recommendation on one? I would imagine they all work the same but i read about a review of someones going bad

Mine came from Michigan Motor Sports via Amazon and works perfectly.

No recommendation, I just selected one with decent customer feedback on Amazon.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #33
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Wow.
I just installed my Phastek skip shift eliminator.
That was one of the most annoying jobs I've ever done.
Pulling the connector out of the socket was absolutely brutal.
I had to use TWO long flat head screw drivers. The first, to wedge into the base of the connector and start prying it outwards. The second, to come in from the side to push the white retaining clip upwards so the connector could come out.

It sounds like the connector is not always oriented like this. On mine, the retaining clip was actually at 12'oclock, meaning, not visible at all from underneath the car. If yours is at any other angle, it will be easier. Just pray that it wasn't like mine.

Getting the connector out was the worst. Followed closely by getting the dummy connector back in. That one my wife with small hands had to do. Zip tying was not easy either. All in all, a major PITA.

But, I took it out directly after and....NO SKIP SHIFT.

CELEBRATION!!!
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #34
fastball
Banned

Just to reiterate why we should celebrate this function and how it was designed:

The feds brought out the federal gas guzzler tax back in the late 1980s. I clearly remember the first car slammed with it because it was a big deal - the 1988 BMW 760 iL with the 6 liter V12. It had a $2500 GGT - and that was in 1988. There was no way to avoid that.

When engineers were working on the new 6 speed transmissions for the 1989 Corvette ZR1 and later they obviously devised the skip shift as a way to improve fuel economy. Now the ZR1 was subject to the GGT as well, but lower end V8s along the years have been able to avoid GGT simply due to the skip shift.

But I am convinced they made it easily defeatable for owners knowing they could do that with a simple resistor in the skip shift harness.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #35
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Driving a stick correctly eliminates the lockout, AND, the onscreen popup. All for NO COST.

*Just sayin
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #36
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Driving a stick correctly eliminates the lockout, AND, the onscreen popup. All for NO COST.

*Just sayin
If you never drive in traffic and never have anyone in front of you driving slower than you intend to drive. It's not always possible to wring out 1st gear to 3,500+ without shifting in traffic. People in front of you accelerate at unpredictable rates. It's annoying having to go to 4th when you're driving 15 mph.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #37
Desenski

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
So I've only had mine since the 26th of last month. But I actually have to TRY and have it lock me out of 2nd and 3rd. Even if the message pops up on the screen most of the time it'll let me go right into 2nd gear. Only way I've gotten it to actually lock me out is if I shift at 2,100 rpm. If I let it go to 2,500 rpm the message is still there, but no lock out.
Seems kinda pointless for me to install the lockout eliminator.
Desenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #38
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post

*Just sayin
No. Driving stick correctly when you’re not trying to rip it will engage skip shift more often.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #39
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desenski View Post
So I've only had mine since the 26th of last month. But I actually have to TRY and have it lock me out of 2nd and 3rd. Even if the message pops up on the screen most of the time it'll let me go right into 2nd gear. Only way I've gotten it to actually lock me out is if I shift at 2,100 rpm. If I let it go to 2,500 rpm the message is still there, but no lock out.
Seems kinda pointless for me to install the lockout eliminator.
+1. In normal sedate-ish driving, most often I get the message but I'm not locked out. I might run in to lock out once every couple of weeks.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #40
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
But its so annoying and it was making me actually not engage second as forcefully as i should, because i was subconsciously afraid it was going to lock me out. Id rather not have to worry about getting to certain speeds and rpms when im driving.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #41
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
But its so annoying and it was making me actually not engage second as forcefully as i should, because i was subconsciously afraid it was going to lock me out. Id rather not have to worry about getting to certain speeds and rpms when im driving.
Exactly this. If it came on every time I was city driving, I might get used to it but mine would engage 15% of the time so it caught me off guard when it happened. What's worse was it doesn't kick in normally because I shift before 1500 so the times it did kick in are when I'm giving more gas to get going a little quicker (i.e. when I least want the engine to lug). Installed a Casper eliminator 2 weeks ago and have been feeling liberated ever since.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #42
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Just a few observations after reading this whole thread:

1. If your Camaro didn’t have the skip-shift, you would have paid $1,300 more because of the gas-guzzler tax.

2. It is a violation of federal law for a dealer to install a skip-shift, because it affects emissions and CAFE standards. This is also why a dealer cannot program out the skip-shift function. The EPA takes these violations very seriously, and the fines have a lot of zeros in them.

3. Technically, your installing an eliminator could void the drivetrain portion of your warranty, but I’ve never heard of a dealer or manufacturer pursuing that.

4. I installed CAGS eliminators on my C5 and C6, because both cars were practically undriveable without one. However, I’ve only hit the skip-shift once in my 1SS 1LE, because I wasn’t paying attention at the time. With a cold engine, accelerating gently to around 1,900 rpm - or accelerating even a little “briskly” when the engine is warmed up - makes adding the eliminator unnecessary, as far as I’m concerned. YMMV.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote