Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
PTM Discussion

So I've got about 18 track sessions on the 1LE now. Working my way through Sport mode to PTM Sport 1 and now I'm using PTM Sport 2 comfortably. Slowly the lap times are coming down and now looking for more power on exits. My question is what am I looking to expect from transitioning from PTM Sport 2 to RACE? Is there a big difference in the amount of power available to me, and what does this do in real life to traction management and stability control?

Hoping to tap into you guys that have had extensive track time and others that have systematically transioned between settings.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I would suggest you go to the 1LE section and talk to Trackclub. He seems to have extensive information on the PTM system. Good to see your getting it out on the track often👍
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
There's a 1LE section? Huh! Thanks
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
My suggestion is based off personal experience and some expert opinion from the actual engineers. PTM Sport 1 is great and not slow...stabilitrak is still enabled. PTM Sport 2 has stabilitrak off and thresholds are slightly higher for traction control interaction/intervention. PTM Race is similar to Sport 2 but made specifically for fresh tires or super sticky slicks/equivalent. I have spun my '17 ZL1 in Sport 1 on cold tires so PTM isn't perfect or a force field. Nothing can help a super sloppy input or other mistake...I've made plenty of mistakes. Track Club has a wonderful chart to further explain the differences in a "PTM modes demystified" sticky.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There's also what might be called a "certain way to drive" in these modes. I don't recall where I read this, but I think it was an engineer that talked about when and how to apply power for these modes. It almost didn't seem, what I'd call logical (though - I wouldn't say what I call logical has any base in reality), so it was interesting to see the logic that was used for these modes to dole-out the power. If I can find it, I'll post.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #6
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
PTM Race has really incredible capabilities in my opinion, as long as you wait until you have apexed a turn you can go full throttle with confidence, but the key is knowing where the apex is--if you're inexperienced and/or wrong it can get you into trouble. It's a real advantage vs other high HP cars that dont have it. The handling issues I have since getting comfortable with Race mode are not due to a failure with PTM, it's always something that happens prior to hitting the apex or too much speed and bad steering input.

Once you get the hang of it, you can expect much faster lap times using PTM Race, but the fastest laps will come if you get really good and turn everything full off. I don't do this, but have ridden as a passenger while a great driver lapped my car in this mode and it takes a lot of skill. I turn it off on the skid-pad at Willow Springs and I'm getting better.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Give this thread a read…

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
PTM Race has really incredible capabilities in my opinion, as long as you wait until you have apexed a turn you can go full throttle with confidence, but the key is knowing where the apex is--if you're inexperienced and/or wrong it can get you into trouble. It's a real advantage vs other high HP cars that dont have it. The handling issues I have since getting comfortable with Race mode are not due to a failure with PTM, it's always something that happens prior to hitting the apex or too much speed and bad steering input.

Once you get the hang of it, you can expect much faster lap times using PTM Race, but the fastest laps will come if you get really good and turn everything full off. I don't do this, but have ridden as a passenger while a great driver lapped my car in this mode and it takes a lot of skill. I turn it off on the skid-pad at Willow Springs and I'm getting better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
These were some of what I was thinking of.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
That’s the guy and article. Give it a read.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
One of my goals this summer is to run all the modes at a trackday with AIM data and see what they do. I have only run the car with everything off at this point and it will be interesting to see how each mode works and reconciled with the data.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote