Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
A while back I looked at the Grand Bend track layout and landmarks on google maps (never been in person), as best I could tell, that's not Grand Bend that they are using. Grand Bend has spectator stands on the drag strip and an infield motorcross track, neither of which I've ever seen in the TH videos. There are also a lot of wind turbines in the TH videos, which I don't see at Grand Bend on google maps. It appears to be a private track somewhere in Ontario that TH is using, but I've no idea where it is.

By previous times posted by other drivers, I gather you're referring to the early early TH days at TMP? To be clear, all of the times listed in the leaderboard shared in the first post of this thread were run by Thomas.

Yeah, the MT reviews with Pobst are fantastic. That the Throttle House guys have earned enough respect to do an episode with Pobst and Cammissa shows how far they've come and makes the "zero credibility" statement all that more ridiculous.

Nigel
Agree: this is NOT Grand Bend! My bad...i have never been there either and thus jumped to a very incorrect conclusion!

Whatever this track is, it looks pretty good for a non commercial venue. Perhaps a test facility of sorts? I wonder if those large industrial looking buildings are a part of it. Albeit they look a bit run down in spots, so who knows...
Heck, it could also be something S of the border?

Perhaps time to send TH a msg and simply ask

Agree on the "zero credibility" response. Car reviews/tests are not exact science. Plus, to successfully commercialize a YouTube channel, one has to offer at least some "entertainment value" and with that comes an aspect of subjectivity.

Cheers!

PS Yes, i was referring to the earlier posts. And yep, aware it is Thomas, who does all the driving. Thx!

Last edited by TrackClub; 06-21-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added PS
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #16
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I would love to see a Camaro SS1LE VS a Shelby GT350 or Mustang Mach l. At this point nobody has compared them on the track.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #17
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I would love to see a Camaro SS1LE VS a Shelby GT350 or Mustang Mach l. At this point nobody has compared them on the track.
On the Motor Trend Head 2 Head episode of the ZL1 vs the GT350R, they posted a Big Willow leaderboard which happened to also include a lap time for the SS 1LE. The SS 1LE TIED the GT350R time of 1:28.29! And, that is the GT350 'R' not just the GT350.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #18
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
On the Motor Trend Head 2 Head episode of the ZL1 vs the GT350R, they posted a Big Willow leaderboard which happened to also include a lap time for the SS 1LE. The SS 1LE TIED the GT350R time of 1:28.29! And, that is the GT350 'R' not just the GT350.
Keep in mind Randy P. himself drove the exact same ZL1 on the same track (Willow) on two different days and the times were 1.74 sec. apart. So, unless they are same day same driver, you truly can't compare equivalently two cars being driven on different days. Heck, Billy Johnson has even talked about there being multiple seconds difference on the same day (i.e., morning compared to afternoon). So, essentially they have to be run back to back, or nearly so, to be truly comparable.

That said, a track record is still a track record, despite the different day argument.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #19
Idaho2018GTPremium

Throttle House is by far the best YouTube car review channel IMO. Creative, funny, natural, good chemistry, high quality video, they know their stuff, etc. Although, they started a channel called "Extra Throttle House", and while I like it, I think it's taken away from the main channel. I feel they've reduced their uploads on their main channel because of the Extra channel. They've reviewed the Mach 1 and GT350R recently on that extra channel. I feel those cars deserve a full blown review on the main channel.

The StraightPipes guys have a similar sized channel as ThrottleHouse, but they annoy me. But, they get a lot of great cars so I end up watching some of them, but typically don't watch the entire video unless it's a car that competes with my ZL1 (GT500, M4 Comp., Redeye, etc.).

Lately AutoTrader has been putting out some good content as well, with Rory Reid. Supercars, GT500, etc., and a good cinematic quality to them.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Throttle House is by far the best YouTube car review channel IMO. Creative, funny, natural, good chemistry, high quality video, they know their stuff, etc. Although, they started a channel called "Extra Throttle House", and while I like it, I think it's taken away from the main channel. I feel they've reduced their uploads on their main channel because of the Extra channel. They've reviewed the Mach 1 and GT350R recently on that extra channel. I feel those cars deserve a full blown review on the main channel.

The StraightPipes guys have a similar sized channel as ThrottleHouse, but they annoy me. But, they get a lot of great cars so I end up watching some of them, but typically don't watch the entire video unless it's a car that competes with my ZL1 (GT500, M4 Comp., Redeye, etc.).

Lately AutoTrader has been putting out some good content as well, with Rory Reid. Supercars, GT500, etc., and a good cinematic quality to them.
Agreed on all counts, I used to watch Straight Pipes, but they have become obnoxious with less and less valuable content. The Throttle House guys clearly know their stuff and also invest a lot into both their coverage and their production quality. I kinda like Raiti's Rides, too, his enthusiasm is contagious

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 06-27-2021 at 12:54 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #21
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post

I agree, Straight Pipes vid on an Aston, all they did was accelerate and let off to hear the pops all f#$king video, it was like a 5 year old wrote the script. I had to block their content after that, lol.

Throttle House OTOH is really good, best review channel on YT IMO.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #22
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Agreed on all counts, I used to watch Straight Pipes, but they have become obnoxious with less and less valuable content. The Throttle House guys clearly know their stuff and also invest a lot into both their coverage and their production quality. I kinda like Raiti's Rides, too, his enthusiasm is contagious
I’ve subscribed to raitis ride but I feel that sometimes he re-hashes the same car/review. Still watch all his videos and overall they’re solid. He knows his stuff also.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #23
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
They need to get a 718 PDK GT4 out there. I want to see what my upcoming car will do against the SS 1LE.

They should try the Mach 1 VS the SS1LE.
They already compared the Corvette C7 Grand Sport VS the Camaro SS1LE
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 07-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:

I think you are talking about this one.

Yes is amazing that the SS1LE matched the lap time of the Shelby GT350R and surpassed also the lap time of the track ready 5th gen Z28..
Also great lap times by the ZL1.
Attached Images

'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 07-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #25
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I think you are talking about this one.

Yes is amazing that the SS1LE matched the lap time of the Shelby GT350R and surpassed also the lap time of the track ready 5th gen Z28..
Also great lap times by the ZL1.
Edited to clarify the ZL1 M6, A10, and SS 1LE times are same day same driver (Randy P). Randy P. ran an M6 ZL1 around Big Willow in 1:26.16, and the A10 (unofficially w/ the PDR) ran a 1:25.87. 0.01 sec faster than a McLaren 650S Spider.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Last edited by Idaho2018GTPremium; 07-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
GTASS1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I'm fairly certain they use the old Dunnville Autodrome. They had open lapping there long ago and then closed down due to noise complaints, I believe.

I wasn't impressed with the lap times from TMP from Colin previously, or Thomas, but they are in the same ballpark as most experienced trackday drivers so can't complain too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Agree: this is NOT Grand Bend! My bad...i have never been there either and thus jumped to a very incorrect conclusion!

Whatever this track is, it looks pretty good for a non commercial venue. Perhaps a test facility of sorts? I wonder if those large industrial looking buildings are a part of it. Albeit they look a bit run down in spots, so who knows...
Heck, it could also be something S of the border?

Perhaps time to send TH a msg and simply ask

Agree on the "zero credibility" response. Car reviews/tests are not exact science. Plus, to successfully commercialize a YouTube channel, one has to offer at least some "entertainment value" and with that comes an aspect of subjectivity.

Cheers!

PS Yes, i was referring to the earlier posts. And yep, aware it is Thomas, who does all the driving. Thx!
GTASS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #27
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTASS1LE View Post
I'm fairly certain they use the old Dunnville Autodrome. They had open lapping there long ago and then closed down due to noise complaints, I believe.

I wasn't impressed with the lap times from TMP from Colin previously, or Thomas, but they are in the same ballpark as most experienced trackday drivers so can't complain too much.
Ha! Completely forgot about Dunnville: duh And you are absolutely correct: it is Dunnville! I had never driven it, but their track trace matches the satellite image of that track exactly.

Yep, I wasn't really thrilled by their TMP times, albeit it was some other driver doing the testing for both SS 1LE and C7 GS.
Clearly he didnt get the most out of the 1LE for sure and who knows about his GS time...

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #28
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ha! Completely forgot about Dunnville: duh And you are absolutely correct: it is Dunnville! I had never driven it, but their track trace matches the satellite image of that track exactly.

Yep, I wasn't really thrilled by their TMP times, albeit it was some other driver doing the testing for both SS 1LE and C7 GS.
Clearly he didnt get the most out of the 1LE for sure and who knows about his GS time...

Cheers!

Mystery solved! I have driven Dunnville though, and for whatever reason, the TH track footage didn't line up with my memories from there, so I ruled it out. But it would have been roughly 15 years ago that I was there last and my memory ain't that great. However I do vividly recall that while on the track doing laps there, a parachutist who had taken off from the air strip there only got a partial deployment of his chute on the way down! Hard to concentrate on driving when you see someone helplessly spinning towards the ground at high speed. He did survive though.

Keep in mind that at the time the TH video was shot at TMP, that 1LE only had Pilot Sport tires on it, not the SC3's or Cup 2's, for whatever that's worth.

Edit... I found some pictures from my track day at Dunville with my 240Z back in 2004!

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote