Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
fsyed13

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Any tracks that let convertibles on without rollbars - PA, NJ, NY, CT?

Hi All,
I have a 2020 Camaro ZL1 convertible. Was trying to book track days with it and the tracks I usually go to all require a roll bar. I will track it maybe 3 times a year and do not want to put in a roll bar.
So I have two questions that I really need your help with
1. Are there any tracks in the PA and neighboring states that would let me do a track day without a roll bar?
2. Are there are easily removable roll bars for the 6th gen convertible camaro? I already check RPM and they are great but not at all something you can just put in and take out.

Thanks alot!!
fsyed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
No tracks in the country will allow a convertible on without aftermarket or factory roll bars.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
i used to (about 6 years ago) track my 911 C2S convertible in Seattle. I believe the Porsche has pop out roll over protection - which qualified it without a fixed roll cage for track. Is this not the case anymore? or does the Gen6 not have pop up protection?
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Yes, the pop up bar is what makes the car allowable on the tracks

No the Camaro does not have any such feature and also no there is no "temporary" bar you can fit in place then remove that I have ever seen
Old 06-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
Yes, the pop up bar is what makes the car allowable on the tracks

No the Camaro does not have any such feature and also no there is no "temporary" bar you can fit in place then remove that I have ever seen
Absolutely, besides a temporary roll bar kinda defeats the purpose of a roll bar.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
No tracks in the country will allow a convertible on without aftermarket or factory roll bars.
Not necessarily true.
Quite often it depends on the track and/or the type of event.

I don't have a 6th gen, but I do have a 2013 ZL1 convertible that I have had on a few tracks here in Michigan.

Milan drag strip allows convertibles during test/tune events (with no roll bar) as long as you run a 10.99 or slower.

I've had it on Pontiac Mi's F1 track as well during a Haggerty fun day where cars are split into different classes based on experience. I ran in the novice group.

I've had it on Michigan International Speedway several times during 'parade laps' with three passengers and the top down hitting 115+ on the back straight.

I had in on Michigan's Gingerman's raceway as well with an instructor by my side in the novice group.

None of these tracks/events required a roll bar in my stock convertible. However they may require that you have the top up.

My point is, depending on your skill level and the track itself as well as the type of event, you may indeed have a chance to take it on the track to see what it can do.

After that, if you decide to up your skill level or the particular track requires it, THEN you may have to install a roll bar that meets the tracks requirements for safety.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
I wouldn't recommend that you do a track day without some type of roll-bar. As an instructor, I would never get in a convertible that doesn't have a roll-bar.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The ZL1 convertible doesn’t have a rollover protection system that deploys when the car starts to go inverted? My 2002 M3 Cab had this, and MB had it on the SL in the early 90s. M3 roll bars deployed from rear headrests when I had a small front end collision that just lifted and tilted the car a little. That’s a big surprise and disappointment. How can Chevy sell a convertible without it, should be a law.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #9
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
The ZL1 convertible doesn’t have a rollover protection system that deploys when the car starts to go inverted? My 2002 M3 Cab had this, and MB had it on the SL in the early 90s. M3 roll bars deployed from rear headrests when I had a small front end collision that just lifted and tilted the car a little. That’s a big surprise and disappointment. How can Chevy sell a convertible without it, should be a law.
Another question is why does a “4” seat car not have whiplash protection? (headrests) for the back seats. I’ll never have passenger back there, but If I did want to, I wouldn’t do it. Secondly, why Chevy didn’t at least give a expensive option for a removable roll bar, in what’s basically a street legal convertible race car, doesn’t make sense to me. It would be great to pull back a couple slotted rug areas and bolt in a bar. ZL1’s have tranny coolers, oil coolers, diff coolers, massive Brembos etc. It’s all a bit of a waste without that option....
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #10
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Milan drag strip allows convertibles during test/tune events (with no roll bar) as long as you run a 10.99 or slower.
Might want to check the new rules, NHRA now say 13.49 or faster convertible needs a roll bar

I went to a track rental a few weeks back and they were a lot more lenient which was good because every single one of my runs was faster then 13.49
Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
DrBlockHed

Drives: 18 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsyed13 View Post
Hi All,
I have a 2020 Camaro ZL1 convertible. Was trying to book track days with it and the tracks I usually go to all require a roll bar. I will track it maybe 3 times a year and do not want to put in a roll bar.
So I have two questions that I really need your help with
1. Are there any tracks in the PA and neighboring states that would let me do a track day without a roll bar?
2. Are there are easily removable roll bars for the 6th gen convertible camaro? I already check RPM and they are great but not at all something you can just put in and take out.

Thanks alot!!
I also have a convertible - I haven’t found anything near us. Drawback of a soft top.
DrBlockHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Might want to check the new rules, NHRA now say 13.49 or faster convertible needs a roll bar

I went to a track rental a few weeks back and they were a lot more lenient which was good because every single one of my runs was faster then 13.49
I’ve been doing 12.15-12.38 all spring at Lapeer International Dragway. As long as I have an appropriate helmet and my top is up, it’s all good.

I’ve also done a number of “controlled events” at M1 Concours, as HDRDTD mentioned he has done. Still remember my first time out at M1. Hitting 130 on the long straight then having an underwear check when I went into the following corner just a leetle too hot.

The one pic is me holding off a late charge from a friend’s SS Coupe at Lapeer, the other is our post event photo of the Small Block Mafia my 1st time out at M1 Concourse. I was the slowest of the group. By a lot.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

From what I now understand, Milan Dragway has been sold to a new owner. The new owner (I don't recall the name) will be required to update/improve many of the tracks features/area's.
Perhaps the new owner44s will have new rules.

It's also possible that the rules differ if it's an official NHRA race day, or a more casual test/tune day.

Always check the current rules/regulations of any track or event you plan on attending just to be sure and safe.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #14
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Last two track events (road course) 2 rollovers, Miata at Roebling and S2000 at Road Atlanta, Miata was caged with hardtop, not sure about S2k protection, both walked away. Miata cage and passenger seat were displaced but intact. This year, 4 red flags year to date. Not good.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible, rollbar, track days