Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
What Dealerships Do You Trust in SoCal?

I'm in SoCal. I do as much of the routine maintenance as I can by myself.

I have had to take my car to a dealership on ONE occasion so far. It was not a good experience. They gave me a hard time when I told them I did not want them to use an impact wrench on the lug nuts. They scoffed and told me it was "industry standard" to use one. I asked them to show me where in the factory service manual it says to use an impact wrench!

They damaged my car and ONSTAR ratted out an employee for hotrodding the car around town! I complained to the manager and that employee was supposedly fired. On my way home, 25 miles away from the dealer, I got a phone call from them telling me that THEY HAD MY KEY and to not shut the car off!!

For warranty work, there is no other option other than going to a dealer. I did not see any threads on local dealership experiences. I'm thinking about the TSB for the A8. No symptoms...yet, but was wondering about doing it "preemptive."

I've worked at dealerships before. There is usually quite a turnover with mechanics. If you find a mechanic you like, GO WHEREVER THAT GUY GOES! You need to develop a relationship. The next time you go there, he may be gone.

Any recommendations in the San Fernando, Simi Valley areas...or even a bit further out??

Last edited by LtColumbo; 05-31-2021 at 03:25 PM.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
LtColumbo

2 weeks and over 200 views later...and no one has a recommendation. That is a pretty sad statement right there!
Old 05-31-2021, 11:58 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Being that I’m in the high desert I only have 1 experience with a dealership. They haven’t been bad. And the service writer who I liked is back now. This is at Lancaster Chevy. On the SoCal 6thgen Facebook group there is a service writer that frequents and she is from Similar Valley Chevy.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
for service normally i go to dellilo in hb but they have not always been the best also lol all dealers suck just some suck more than others
Old 06-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
LtColumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Being that I’m in the high desert I only have 1 experience with a dealership. They haven’t been bad. And the service writer who I liked is back now. This is at Lancaster Chevy. On the SoCal 6thgen Facebook group there is a service writer that frequents and she is from Similar Valley Chevy.

I will check this out. What are the names of the service writers? I assume you mean SIMI Valley Chevy?
Old 06-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
OOOH. I think thats me!
I am at simi valley chevy, and I'm happy to help (just about) anyone.
Luckily, I have a great team and could even be considered sort of mod friendly.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #7
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
I will check this out. What are the names of the service writers? I assume you mean SIMI Valley Chevy?

Yeah, Simi Valley. Sometimes I hate autocorrect on my phone.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
442DMND

Drives: 2017 SS/1LE
Keyes Van Nuys is decent for service
Old 06-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
LtColumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442DMND View Post
Keyes Van Nuys is decent for service

Thanks. Back in the early-mid '70s I used to work as a mechanic for Keyes Fiat/Volvo!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColumbo View Post
I'm in SoCal. I do as much of the routine maintenance as I can by myself.

I have had to take my car to a dealership on ONE occasion so far. It was not a good experience. They gave me a hard time when I told them I did not want them to use an impact wrench on the lug nuts. They scoffed and told me it was "industry standard" to use one. I asked them to show me where in the factory service manual it says to use an impact wrench!

They damaged my car and ONSTAR ratted out an employee for hotrodding the car around town! I complained to the manager and that employee was supposedly fired. On my way home, 25 miles away from the dealer, I got a phone call from them telling me that THEY HAD MY KEY and to not shut the car off!!

For warranty work, there is no other option other than going to a dealer. I did not see any threads on local dealership experiences. I'm thinking about the TSB for the A8. No symptoms...yet, but was wondering about doing it "preemptive."

I've worked at dealerships before. There is usually quite a turnover with mechanics. If you find a mechanic you like, GO WHEREVER THAT GUY GOES! You need to develop a relationship. The next time you go there, he may be gone.

Any recommendations in the San Fernando, Simi Valley areas...or even a bit further out??

You saw my tire rotation thread, right? How they f*cked that up. I clearly told them the SS is stagger set up with the larger tires on the rear and can't be rotated like a typical tire rotation. What did the idiots do? They put the 245s on the front! The techs and manager at Wal-Mart couldn't believe it but when I told them what Chevy dealer they told me stay away from there.

I'd rather just go to a regular shop and pay out of pocket to have the tranny fluid flushed and replaced rather than trusting GM mechanics.

My 2016SS is obviously out of warranty so GM is never touching it again.

years back had an issue with the Huyndia dealer. They didn't screw the oil filter on tight enough and as soon as I left the lot oil leaked all over.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I had a fantastic experience last year at Simi Chevrolet with Jessika. I've since sold my Camaro, but I plan to take my Corvette back for any future service. Keyes is fine for small stuff, but they brushed off a few obvious defects for my '12 and '16.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
They put the 245s on the front! The techs and manager at Wal-Mart couldn't believe it but when I told them what Chevy dealer they told me stay away from there.
I have 245s on the front of mine... I dont think the rears will even bolt on to the front since the tire hits the strut tower? What dealership did this?
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote