Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
My personal impressions from a 2021 Mustang GT Premium vs 2021 Camaro 2SS

Hello all,
Back after a year

I'll try to make this quick...
As you may know i had a 2016 Camaro ss brand new, then i ran into the famous A8 transmission shutter... did the flushes etc.. went away, came back and as my warranty was coming to an end I traded it for a 2020 4runner... I loved the 4runner so much, I traded my other car for a 2020 4runner as well...
Ahahaha YES 2 4runners.

I was going to keep one of the 4runners until 2022/ 2023 for either the last camaro (2023) or 2022 (anniversary edition, which GM said the would NOT make)... but then as you may be aware with the Silicone shortage GM pulled the plug for the 2021 camaros, and there were rumours no 2022s would be made. But then they revealed the 2022 Blue colour so it will be in production.

I was trying to get my hands on a 2021 Camaro 2ss... SAME as the one i had (Although 2019s now have A10s instead of A8s)... and i saw two of them... ONE sold right away as we were trying to put numbers together, the sales person did not know the car had already been sold... the other was a 2ss without the NPP, and no magneride (which my first camaro had) ... so i was on the border, by the time i decided it was gone.

Here in canada 2ss CAMAROs are becoming a rarity for 2021s, and i had to travel 2 hours to a dealer that offered the Fully speced out 2021 Wildcherry package 2.. but they wanted $70,000 for it .... tsk tsk....They were willing to go just above the sticker price but mo more...

NOW my thoughts on the BOTH cars;

I have always been a CAMARO fan... but my old camaro never was this loud, nor was it this fast....it was fun to drive, but not as fun as the mustang....
The exhuast ....both my cars The 2ss and this 401A mustang have quad exhausts with active control... but IM telling you from personal experience.... the MUSTANGs exhaust in track mode seems 3X louder than the camaros was.... I even pulled the fuse on my camaro's NPP flap hoping it would stay open and loud,,, the mustang's is not like that... It's loud in track mode and sounds like the upgrade one would have expected from an aftermarket Camaro exhaust....

YOu put your foot down and this goes,,,, with the camaro wasnt the same way.....
The factory exhaust is louder, and it's like FORD is giving away these cars!!!!!
I now see why the sales are down on the camaro... Dealers being greedy, and not budging.. Even for my trade in none of the GM dealers paid what the ford offered on the FIRST try... they offered an amazing deal without me even asking for it... I was shocked.... almost $6000 above what GM dealers wanted to pay.

The DOWNSIDES of the the Mustang over the camaro...

1. The glove box -- doesn't open properly you have to hit it at the right angle..... and this is a new car AHAHAH (ford quality) wait til 5 years down the road...

2.The seat rests are not power controlled like the camaros were...

Everything else on the seats are power operate,d just the back rest is not, AND this is the 401A premium package we're talking about here.

3. Also the turn signal and wiper stalks look so weak and plasticy compared to the camaro's sophisticated, higher quality type.

4. There is NO sunroof on any 6th gen S550 Mustangs... No option whatsoever!!!!
You might say okay whats the big deal... with me being 6'-2" my head is close up to the ceiling, and the camaro gave me an edge because i could see through the roof when the adjacent light was about to turn green... so i could get ready to go...
part of the roof line is down closer in my view whereas with the camaro i had a better visibility looking outwards. This also makes it look claustrophobic.... I sat in the 2020 camaro 2SS without a sunroof, and the ceiling was higher, still had limited visibility but was not as "bad" as the Mustang's. Did i mention my SEATS are alll the way down back??? :smiling 1:... Yes I did sit in the car prior to purchasing it, and yes was willing to look passed this for the price they were giving for the mustang.

and finally

5. When getting out of the Mustang i tend to hit my head on the upper body line between the A and B pillars.... whereas with the camaro i never had that problem.... and my seat is all the way down low, and all the way back.... ahahaha.... if i try to check my blind spot or try to look over on my left.. i will hit my head against the roof liner's bulge whereas with the camaro i never had that problem...

Everyone complains about the the 6th gen visibility, i never did... if you know how to use your mirrors etc, you will be fine.... and it helped me getting adjusted to the mustang..

I havent driven the 2019 camaro ss with the A10..... but coming from the A8 camaro and the mustang... the mustang feels way faster....

Which do i prefer?? The mustang... but to me it's like a knife being twisted in me, wishing this mustang was a CAMARO.... with all the features it has.

If anyone is considering which to get, hope this was helpful..... Again if GM offered good prices for the camaro......... etc and had good sounding exhaust..... i wouldve bought the Camaro... but for nearly $15,000 price difference for 401a vs 2ss camaro which are pretty much an equal match..... you would see why it was not hard for me to choose the Mustang over the Camaro... and live with those major/minor issues on the camaro.

Last edited by Camaro455ss; 04-17-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
come back in a few months time. you'll think differently once the honeymoon period is over. i know i been there done it
try going over 100mph let go of the steering wheel and see how the car behaves.
Camaro fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
come back in a few months time. you'll think differently once the honeymoon period is over. i know i been there done it
try going over 100mph let go of the steering wheel and see how the car behaves.

You mean from getting a new car... or coming back to the Camaro?

And that's the thing..... I accidentally have done it... with my old 2016 ss during the break-in period i would easily get to a certain speed and stay there...

With the Mustang.... im REALLY not trying to PUSH IT HARD..... TRYING to get over the break-in period... and a couple of times without knowing it... i was way over the speed range i stayed in during the same power band while in the camaro and i Didn't notice it.... Thankfully i looked down at the speedo and I was LIKE CRAP..... had to slow down because i never go that fast on the highways... in other words... with the mustang feels more stable and is way faster yet you don't feel like youre going the speed that speedo tells you... whereas the camaro was not like that.... Again that was with the 2016 A8 transmission, I havent driven the A10 ss that FAST....

PS. Im not bashing the Camaro... Just saying what i noticed between the two amazing V8s.

Last edited by Camaro455ss; 04-17-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Not sure I noticed a difference in Track mode for exhaust from Sport. Although I haven't put it in track mode since I bought it I guess and I didn't do WOT at that time.

I have a 2020 PP1. Doesn't feel like it puts the power down as well as Camaro. Was visiting my brother and he got into the throttle in bend and it just pulled and stayed planted. I feel the Mustang gets a bit unsettled.

Last edited by ChefBorOzzy; 04-18-2021 at 07:49 AM.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
I went from a 2019 GT to 2019 Camaro SS...got the Mustang rebate too. Paid $28K new for a base GT, sold for $30k to Vroom, paid $33k for 1SS new. SS seats are way more comfortable to me. Lack of full power seats in the GT was a joke too. Sold my GT bc of the 2nd gear diesel like grinding sound which got worse over time.

SS in base trim: full power seats, Apple car play, much sportier driving experience, lower stance..etc. And the A10 in the SS is noticeably smoother than the GT. Much prefer my 1SS. Not even close.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro455ss View Post
you would see why it was not hard for me to choose the Mustang over the Camaro... and live with those major/minor issues on the camaro.
I'm only seeing three issues mentioned in your post: 1) the A8 in the 2016 that is irrelevant as all new auto trans Camaros have the A10 (and the A8 problem is fixed, too); 2) the exhaust isn't loud enough for you, which is fair enough, we all have our preferences (track mode is just loud enough for me, but to each their own) and there is a significant aftermarket for this; 3) the price that has nothing to do with the car itself, and as others said, will sort itself out.

If this was enough to justify a Mustang over a 2021 2SS, well, I guess good luck to you in the long run

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 04-18-2021 at 08:22 AM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
phill21

Drives: 21 camaro rs/lt1
I had 13 mustang and 4 of them was s550 3 of them was gen3 coyote and now i just bouth an 21 lt1 i ordered 5 month ago anolo have to say i regret not making the switch before. All of the 3 gen 3 coyote i had was having the 2krattle (piston slap) the last one had 3 rattles inside. The 10 speed in the mustang never work as well and smooth as the Camaro. The camaro just feel better all around. Oh and for people who thinks the paint on camaro are cheap i could tell the mustang is cheaper i do alot of detailing and on my camaro most of the paint mesure between 190-260 microns and on the mustang i saw 105 and thats just the paint.
phill21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I owned a 2007 Mustang GT for 6 months (don't let my Camaro friends know) after my 2001 Camaro Z-28. Sold the Mustang and picked up a 2006 Pontiac GTO and loved it. It bridged the gap to my 2010 1SS. Now I'm in a 2017 1SS and very happy.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
So you have the GT Premium with 401a option group? If so then that is what I consider to be the best value per dollar of all the Mustangs. It comes with all the creature comforts, the toggles (hence the Drag Mode), the NPP, the subwoofer, and I believe it has the 3.55 gears like I do along with the A10. For the price of that car, throw a blower and LTs on it and you'll be hanging with stock GT500s easily if not beating them. On top of that some suspension mods and coolers and you'll be able to keep up with a lot of cars that corner really well.

I like that particular package you have because you're not wasting money on PP1 which would be useless if you chose to upgrade the suspension. On top of that the PP2 is manual trans only and you really want the A10 with these cars. So for the price and what you'll spend on mods and the performance you'll get, like I said, the Premium GT 401a is the best value.

As far as comparing to the A8 SS, well like you said, you can't really compare the two fairly. However the biggest difference I notice between the GT and the Camaros is that the GT has tremendous wheel hop and a severe lack of control. It's like TC doesn't even exist on these cars even when it is on. Like pressing the button just illuminates a light and does nothing else at all. Mine gets sideways very easily and I have MPS4S tires on. The GT with G3 Coyote and 3.55s easily overpowers the suspension and safeties. I have to be very careful with mine because it just wants to get psycho. Sport mode, well it makes it look like a lunatic is driving the car. Track Mode is unusable on the street. Keep in mind mine is lowered and LTs. But I will say that in roll races I do not think there are many cars that can beat a forced induction G3 GT with A10 and 3.55s once the car is rolling. Mine is not boosted yet. But even NA I do feel like it can take much faster cars on a roll if only up to about 100 MPH.

The Camaros, conversely, are all much better controlled. If it is raining then I'll drive my ZL1 or Hellcat before driving the GT. And the seats in the Camaro are better. As well as the brakes. Although since you have a higher trim than mine it might be more equal. If you ask me, the GT is the car you buy if you want to mod. The SS is the car you buy if you just want crazy good out the box performance.

Either way, when matched properly the 18+ GT (with A10, 3.55s, and Drag Mode) and SS with A10 are pretty evenly matched. Both cars amaze and impress me. I'm not known for Giving Ford credit but they did a damn good job on the 18+ GT. They just need to work more on the suspension, control, and overall quality/finish.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Ding

Drives: 19' Trailboss,22' 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
So you have the GT Premium with 401a option group? If so then that is what I consider to be the best value per dollar of all the Mustangs. It comes with all the creature comforts, the toggles (hence the Drag Mode), the NPP, the subwoofer, and I believe it has the 3.55 gears like I do along with the A10. For the price of that car, throw a blower and LTs on it and you'll be hanging with stock GT500s easily if not beating them. On top of that some suspension mods and coolers and you'll be able to keep up with a lot of cars that corner really well.

I like that particular package you have because you're not wasting money on PP1 which would be useless if you chose to upgrade the suspension. On top of that the PP2 is manual trans only and you really want the A10 with these cars. So for the price and what you'll spend on mods and the performance you'll get, like I said, the Premium GT 401a is the best value.

As far as comparing to the A8 SS, well like you said, you can't really compare the two fairly. However the biggest difference I notice between the GT and the Camaros is that the GT has tremendous wheel hop and a severe lack of control. It's like TC doesn't even exist on these cars even when it is on. Like pressing the button just illuminates a light and does nothing else at all. Mine gets sideways very easily and I have MPS4S tires on. The GT with G3 Coyote and 3.55s easily overpowers the suspension and safeties. I have to be very careful with mine because it just wants to get psycho. Sport mode, well it makes it look like a lunatic is driving the car. Track Mode is unusable on the street. Keep in mind mine is lowered and LTs. But I will say that in roll races I do not think there are many cars that can beat a forced induction G3 GT with A10 and 3.55s once the car is rolling. Mine is not boosted yet. But even NA I do feel like it can take much faster cars on a roll if only up to about 100 MPH.

The Camaros, conversely, are all much better controlled. If it is raining then I'll drive my ZL1 or Hellcat before driving the GT. And the seats in the Camaro are better. As well as the brakes. Although since you have a higher trim than mine it might be more equal. If you ask me, the GT is the car you buy if you want to mod. The SS is the car you buy if you just want crazy good out the box performance.

Either way, when matched properly the 18+ GT (with A10, 3.55s, and Drag Mode) and SS with A10 are pretty evenly matched. Both cars amaze and impress me. I'm not known for Giving Ford credit but they did a damn good job on the 18+ GT. They just need to work more on the suspension, control, and overall quality/finish.

Thank you for this input, its nice to see what someone thinks that owns both chassis' at the same time. I went back and forth on the GT and SS and it wasn't easy but I agree, the GT was better if I was going to go to town modding it, but the SS felt like a great car out of the box. The chassis reminded me of my BMWs I use to have. I know I'm not going crazy with mods so the 1LE is well setup enough for me.
2022 Riverside 2SS 1LE 6M #2388
1100 on July 6th
3000 TPW 8/30 on August 13th
3100 Status TPW 9/13 on August 19th
3400 Status TPW 8/30 on August 26th
3800 Status on Oct 7th
Delivered on Oct 28th
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #11
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

My (former) 2018 GT Premium with PP1, A10, and MagneRide was very controlled. The upgraded suspension and MR made a big difference on the GT. It wasn’t up to ZL1 level obviously but it was very good. I have no interest in modding factory suspension so a PP1 w/ MagneRide was a good choice for me. It was very capable. And like I used to say, with a few bolt ons and a bit of weight reduction it was very quick with the 3.55s.

I wouldn’t have sold my GT for an SS, but it was an easy decision to upgrade to the ZL1 as you know.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
Thank you for this input, its nice to see what someone thinks that owns both chassis' at the same time. I went back and forth on the GT and SS and it wasn't easy but I agree, the GT was better if I was going to go to town modding it, but the SS felt like a great car out of the box. The chassis reminded me of my BMWs I use to have. I know I'm not going crazy with mods so the 1LE is well setup enough for me.
To be fair and clear, Blaq has a base GT and a ZL1. They are worlds apart so it is not a fair comparison. A base GT should be compared to an LT1 trim on the Camaro. Which is multiple levels below a ZL1 trim. Going the other way that’s like comparing a Camaro LT1 to a Shelby GT500, which will destroy the LT1 in every metric.

And like I said in my above post, I sold my 2018 GT Premium with all the performance goodies (PP1, MagneRide, A10, etc.) a few weeks ago after taking delivery of my ZL1 in March so I owned both at the same time as well. I wouldn’t have sold the GT to do a lateral move to an SS. Easy decision going to a ZL1 though.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
Ding

Drives: 19' Trailboss,22' 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
To be fair and clear, Blaq has a base GT and a ZL1. They are worlds apart so it is not a fair comparison. A base GT should be compared to an LT1 trim on the Camaro. Which is multiple levels below a ZL1 trim. Going the other way that’s like comparing a Camaro LT1 to a Shelby GT500, which will destroy the LT1 in every metric.

And like I said in my above post, I sold my 2018 GT Premium with all the performance goodies (PP1, MagneRide, A10, etc.) a few weeks ago after taking delivery of my ZL1 in March so I owned both at the same time as well. I wouldn’t have sold the GT to do a lateral move to an SS. Easy decision going to a ZL1 though.
Totally get that, I think they are pretty close if it’s SS to GT, so if I had one I’d probably not change to the other, but I own neither and am trying to decide. My friend owns a performance company and owns a GT, so I felt it would be good to get something different, but I still felt the SS was just a nicer car. Not worlds better, but what I wanted.
2022 Riverside 2SS 1LE 6M #2388
1100 on July 6th
3000 TPW 8/30 on August 13th
3100 Status TPW 9/13 on August 19th
3400 Status TPW 8/30 on August 26th
3800 Status on Oct 7th
Delivered on Oct 28th
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
My (former) 2018 GT Premium with PP1, A10, and MagneRide was very controlled. The upgraded suspension and MR made a big difference on the GT. It wasn’t up to ZL1 level obviously but it was very good. I have no interest in modding factory suspension so a PP1 w/ MagneRide was a good choice for me. It was very capable. And like I used to say, with a few bolt ons and a bit of weight reduction it was very quick with the 3.55s.

I wouldn’t have sold my GT for an SS, but it was an easy decision to upgrade to the ZL1 as you know.
I forgot about the MR option. I feel like that is a must for the GT. And I also agree with your statement about moving laterally vs moving up. Unless you happen to have the bad luck of getting a GT or SS that has a lot of issues, and you have the option to trade in to the competing vehicle, then I do not think a switch from GT to SS or vice versa is worthwhile. However if you score a good deal for the higher trims (ZL1, GT350R, GT500) then it would be well worth the upgrade.

In my case, I wanted something different. The ZL1 comes out the box with such a high level of performance that after 4 years of owning one it kinda got dull to me. Same with the HC. Of course there are packages and stuff. But the GT is something that I can get my hands dirty with on a more personal level and choose more of how I want it to perform. I'll probably keep it for only a couple years after I boost it and then move on to something different.
Quote:

I'll add that the only time it might be worth it to actually go from GT to SS or SS to GT is if going from M6 trans (SS/GT), A6 trans (GT), or A8 trans (SS) to the A10 trans of either car. The 18+ GT with A10 is really a step above any of the previous GTs. And the same goes for the SS with A10 in comparison to the older versions. The A10 really makes a world of a difference with these cars although even with the GT A10 you should still upgrade to the version that has DM at the very minimum and MRC to make it even better.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote