Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnthetic6 View Post
1500 miles? Easy. Ill get that done in the first week or so. Picking up my car in south Florida, few days later driving to Phoenix AZ.
How do you plan on avoiding a constant speed for any length of time, on your road trip?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
People can be a bit mellow dramatic when talking about winter driving in the Camaro lol......

I've lived in Cleveland all my life. We get snow here every year. Some more than others, but between Halloween and Easter you can be sure to see more days with snow than without. The 2007 home opening SERIES for the Indians was snowed out due to a blizzard - we played our first 3 home games against Anaheim at Milwaukee's stadium!

I'm 38, and even when I was a kid most cars were still rear wheel drive. My parents never got stuck, stranded, or in an accident. My first car was a 1985 Buick Regal, rear wheel drive, I never had any problems. Don't forget, these cars all had about a 70/30 weight distribution, no traction control or ABS, solid beam rear axles without positrac, rear drum brakes, and recirculating ball steering. I learned to drive and have experience driving in bad conditions with a rear drive car.

The Camaro has near 50/50 weight distribution and all the modern electronic aides. But even with that, you simply drive with good COMMON SENSE. You'll only have 455 hp going to the wheels if you tell the car to deliver all 455 of them lol! Pay attention, easy on the gas, easy on the brakes, start off in second gear, and always keep your car in the proper gear for road conditions. Even with the automatic, you should drive it in manual mode so you can hold gearing and brake with the transmission by lifting off the throttle.

With a good set of Blizzaks, I have every ounce of confidence to drive my 2SS in 6 inches of snow when it's 20 degrees outside.

It's a Chevy Camaro. It's not a 1962 Ferrari 360 GTO. Drive it all year. Put miles on it. That's what it's made for!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #31
skipinWisconsin

Drives: 2013 1le
Anybody seen a skip shift elm for the 2016 for sale ???? Please PM me
skipinWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #32
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Take every exit and onramp on the way home

Make sure you pass at least one guy between every exit... will confuse the heck out of him... "Dang, I've seen like thirty new blue Camaros blow by me on this highway..."
LOL I just saw this and I might have to do it!
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #33
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Really the break in goes really fast. I have broke in 3 brand new motorcycles in the past 4 years. On the hwy fluctuating between 70-90 with this car in 6th gear really is not the point. Maybe that will be 300-500 rpm difference. Every once in a while just drop it down into 4th then 5th then 6th. Make sure you warm the car up before you take off the first 1500 miles. First 500 do not go full throttle. Basically give it just a little more rpm as you gain the mileage. Everyone does suggest to give it plenty of throttle during the break in as the pressure from a 2-4k wide open to 85% throttle seats the rings better.

Remember you are just getting everything to get acquainted with the other new parts. This helps the metals to break in. These cars have already been driven by the factory before we see them. I would not doubt the engines pre broke in before installed either. When I worked at the dealership the test drives between salespeople and customers were varied between too easy on the car and beating the piss out of them. Never seen one come back because it was not broke in properly.

The reason why I go into this length is like most, when I bought some thing new my ocd kicked in and I had to break it in perfect. After dealing with cars, building, slight racing and new break ins. The anxiety is way overrated and distracts from the fun of the new purchase. Like anything moderation is key but above all else enjoy it! Do not over look after everything is up to temperatures giving it some wide open periods to set rings and feel the rush of what you worked hard for.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #34
01Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Z28 Mn6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
We talked about it, but here is GM's guide to proper vehicle brake-in. 1,500 miles seems like an eternity, but I will be following this guide. Just to make sure all is well.

Starting and Operating

New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2 414 km (1,500 mi) of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be
better in the long run.

For the first 2,414 km (1,500 mi):
- Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

- Do not exceed 4,000 engine rpm.

- Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.

- Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).

- Do not tow a trailer.

- Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4,000 rpm.

- Do not let the engine labor. Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This
rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

- Do not participate in racing events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during this break-in period.

- Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel
consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2,414 km (1,500 mi).

- To break in new tires, drive at moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New tires do not have maximum traction and may tend to slip.

- New brake linings also need a break-in period. Avoid making hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.

- Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced before hand.

Source: GM 2016 Camaro Manual (Page 200)
F'king kidding me....skip shift?
01Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #35
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Camaro View Post
F'king kidding me....skip shift?
No, it's telling you do not let the engine RPM drop down too low for that particular gear, as that is bad on the engine bearings. Sometimes people call that "dieseling" because the engine starts to clatter like a diesel. Very bad on your bearings. Too much stress on the engine because the transmission is in a higher gear than the engine has power to turn at that RPM.

If you're in 4th gear or higher at 50 mph, and then you slow down to 20 without downshifting, you will lug the engine. Drop it down to 3rd or really 2nd preferably. Or put the clutch in if you're going to stop completely.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #36
skipinWisconsin

Drives: 2013 1le
RAISE your hands if you believe the brake in period is really needed????
skipinWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #37
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinWiS. View Post
I'd be very worried that you can see me raise my hand!
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #38
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinWiS. View Post
You can do whatever you want to your car because, well, it's your car. Your money.

Me? I trust the manufacturer's engineers who know this car inside, outside, and can tell you the tensile strength of the crankshaft in the LT1 a whole hell of a lot more than a "guest" on a web forum. So yeah, the break in period is definitely needed.

Don't forget, new cars have very tightly wound engines. Both the LGX V6 and LT1 V8 are very free reving and have a higher redline than older cars. You don't want to come close to redlining these new engines until they're broken in.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #39
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I'd be very worried that you can see me raise my hand!
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #40
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You can do whatever you want to your car because, well, it's your car. Your money.

Me? I trust the manufacturer's engineers who know this car inside, outside, and can tell you the tensile strength of the crankshaft in the LT1 a whole hell of a lot more than a "guest" on a web forum. So yeah, the break in period is definitely needed.

Don't forget, new cars have very tightly wound engines. Both the LGX V6 and LT1 V8 are very free reving and have a higher redline than older cars. You don't want to come close to redlining these new engines until they're broken in.
I think those of you who are getting some nice new Camaro's should read some posts at camaro5...before you make a decision.

While I think it would only make sense to follow the manufactures recommendations for break-in...I think this may be something you want to re-think.

I broke my ZL1 in according to manufactures specs...and what do you know...I had a problem with my car eating oil.

My next Camaro...or car will not be broken in this why. I don't think it's a good idea to abuse a brand new car...but I think it should be driven a little harder than what GM recommends.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #41
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Drive it like you stole it...after the first 50 miles. That's what I did with my '15 and after 19k miles, my catch can has caught maybe 6 oz. of oil (which I installed a few weeks after I brought the car home in late Aug of 2014.) The break-in listed by GM is SOP for most of their motors. I think you still need to vary the speed some, but after I had 200 miles I started going over the 80 mph restriction of GM's policy and one other trick I did was not to use 6th gear, just my own justification that it would be more in line with a "hard" break-in. I also did several highway pulls that were well above what the "normal" break-in procedure recommends, but no higher than 5500 rpms.

All of my break-in was completed on the drive home from Michigan (970 miles) and I considered the "break-in" DONE Changed out the oil and the rear diff fluid. About 1 1/2 months later, had the car dyno'd and got a respectable 385 rwhp, which is on par with most have reported with their SS/1LE's. Though it's not that important to me, the last long trip I took (to Detroit), I got about 21 mpg on the highway. The only engine mod to date is a CAI. Hope this was some help to some of you.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #42
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
I have to LOL at some of the test videos that we have seen linked here. The latest one from STifan on YouTube (or whatever his name is), has him absolutely going WOT with two SS' that a dealer lent him. Guess I'm glad nobody test drove mine before I picked it up.