AWE Tuning

Old 06-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
New 2021 SS 1LE flashing CEL track day issues

UPDATE SOLVED - loose pin in coil pack connector for cylinder 1, smh

UPDATE 07/13 - low fuel no longer a suspected issue, 210+ misfires cylinder 1

Deleted other threads I made on this and will update here until problem is resolved.
Ive seen many similar posts to this but many go unanswered or unresolved or are different than mine in nature.

04/17
Bought a new to me, stock, gm cert pre owned 2021 2ss 1le in April with 4900mi

05/02
First track day 5 laps in or so I got P0300 misfire, shaking, CEL flashing, service rear axle, service stabilitrac etc, pull in the pits car almost stalled, surging.. Reset the battery and went on track it happened again within a lap or two, reset the battery again drove home no issues.

05/07
Dealer had the car for 5 days couldn't find anything wrong. Went to another track day a week later and ran all day no issues. Hard sessions all day, hot day, longer runs then normal, nothing changed with the car from 05/02.

06/22
No issues for two months, until yesterday on track it happened again, this time flashing CEL, service rear axle, service stabilitrac but much less sputtering/much less of a misfire. Code didnt stick, CEL stopped flashing as I pulled in the pits. Code was gone when restarted, reset the battery anyway drove home hasn't done it again.

This is a totally stock 2021 SS 1LE, dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything for it because I'm bringing it to them without a CEL, The issue here being it only breaks on the track, far away from the dealer, its impossible for the dealer to replicate the issue on the street because you cant push the car hard enough to make it happen.

Only similarity I can think of between the 05/02 and 06/22 track day was around 1/4 tank or less of fuel in the car, every time this has happened its been on a left turn, so currently thinking its getting starved for fuel briefly causing the misfire? would this cause a quick p0300? or would it be a different code/reaction to the car.

Things ruled out and checked so far-
05/02 pulled engine and valve covers and checked harnesses between/around fuel rails/plugs/plug wires. Cylinder 1 spark plug made slight click pushing it onto the coil.
05/03-05/07 car at dealer, honestly not sure what they checked, but they said they couldn't find any issue
05/07 before track, swapped back to factory airbox from the Cold Air Inductions box (sold cold air inductions, only factory one on car now)
05/07 before track, pulled trunk lining, checked all battery grounds/power in the trunk, found no issue, battery at 12.33v resting car off
06/22 after track, checked for loose plug wires again, none found, checked to see if AC compressor belt was hitting harness behind it, its not, checked for more burning harness, none found

There is a good amount of oil in the intake when I pulled the throttle body, enough that it drips from the top of the intake? Is that normal? Ive had an 11 Silverado, a 17 Silverado and a 20 SS before this car and the DI ones had oil in the intake ofc, even the 2017 w a catch can, but not sure if I remember this much oil in there?

Current plan is to run Homestead 07/24 with a higher fuel load and see if it happens again

Thanks for the help

Last edited by joeyazzata29; 07-13-2021 at 03:11 PM.
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Sure it wasnt or hasn't been tuned by the previous owner? Im sure since you bought and have had it in the dealership for this problem they would have discovered this so just asking...we've seen "certified used" owners come in with cars that have been tuned and never divulged.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Sure it wasnt or hasn't been tuned by the previous owner? Im sure since you bought and have had it in the dealership for this problem they would have discovered this so just asking...we've seen "certified used" owners come in with cars that have been tuned and never divulged.
Yeah it was certified used previously owned by GM so I doubt it
Old 06-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
Yes ive posted this topic before but I maybe in the 1LE specific section this has happened to someone else.

Bought a new to me, stock, gm cert pre owned 2021 2ss 1le in April with 4900mi.. First track day I got P0300 misfire, shaking, CEL flashing, sputtering, service rear axle, service stabilitrac etc. Reset the battery and went on track it happened again, reset the battery again drove home no issues.

Dealer had the car for 5 days couldn't find anything wrong. Went to another track day a week later and ran all day no issues. No issues for two months, until yesterday on track it happened again, this time flashing CEL, service rear axle, service stabilitrac but much less sputtering/much less of a misfire. Code didnt stick, CEL stopped flashing as I pulled in the pits.

This is a totally stock 2021 SS 1LE, dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything for it, im just so annoyed spending money on this thing right now to have these issues only on track... dealer nor myself can replicate the issue because you have to be pushing the car on the track for it to happen. Any insight appreciated
From what i understand from another recent post, there is an e-diff RECALL on 21s. Perhaps that's what the issue is? Hope this helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
From what i understand from another recent post, there is an e-diff RECALL on 21s. Perhaps that's what the issue is? Hope this helps. Cheers!
Any link? I haven't seen this? Other than the one for an incorrectly heat treated half shaft but thats not causing my issue
Old 06-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
We had someone just the other day with a lit up like a christmas tree dash panel with the "certified used" sticker plastered to the windshield.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
Future1LEa10
Banned

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
We had someone just the other day with a lit up like a christmas tree dash panel with the "certified used" sticker plastered to the windshield.
That was me when I went to test drive this 19 ZL1 that had 3900 miles. Car was immaculate, but doing the exact thing yours was. Exactly. I havent heard back from the dealer what was wrong with it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593874
Future1LEa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #8
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Damn well im confused why mines perfectly fine until a few hard laps on the track. You can push it all you want on the street
Old 06-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Two things:

1. The "service rear diff warning" can come on for all sorts of issues. I had a collapsed lifter and it set of a diff warning.

2. Shaking on the track? If you use the safest setting, I think it was "Dry," it has way too much intervention at big throttle openings or torque situations. It cuts back way too much and causes vibration.

I know this isn't the answer, but it may help you narrow it down.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Two things:

1. The "service rear diff warning" can come on for all sorts of issues. I had a collapsed lifter and it set of a diff warning.

2. Shaking on the track? If you use the safest setting, I think it was "Dry," it has way too much intervention at big throttle openings or torque situations. It cuts back way too much and causes vibration.

I know this isn't the answer, but it may help you narrow it down.
To point 1. was this a consistent issue? when you had the collapsed lifter? Mine only acts up on track no issues on the street
Old 06-23-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
My SS 1LE was built mid Oct. I have been on track with it 3 days so far and have not had the issue the issue you describe.

But to your point about level of gas in the tank, the lowest I let it get while on track was still >1/4 full. I remember another thread (maybe your earlier post?) that included a theory that the gas gauge below 1/4 is perhaps not very accurate and may show more than is really in there. I'd still pursue that idea as a possibility, as you might be on to something.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #12
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
My SS 1LE was built mid Oct. I have been on track with it 3 days so far and have not had the issue the issue you describe.

But to your point about level of gas in the tank, the lowest I let it get while on track was still >1/4 full. I remember another thread (maybe your earlier post?) that included a theory that the gas gauge below 1/4 is perhaps not very accurate and may show more than is really in there. I'd still pursue that idea as a possibility, as you might be on to something.
I believe the pickup is on the left side of the tank which would make sense why this has happened only on left turns, as the fuel would be to the right. I just would think it would be a solid CEL or would a short instance of fuel starvation result in misfires
Old 06-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
PM Gunmetalgrey member. I believe he had something similar on his ZL1 a while back and may be able to shed some light regarding a fix.
NB Ive run my car a few times until a low fuel warning came on with zero pick up issues even in long, high G sweepers at Mosport.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
I would also consider checking the battery / power connections and main power leads. Either loose connection somewhere, or damaged
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote