Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
How do you deal with the Blind Spot?

How do the rest of you deal with the blind spot when driving on the freeway? There is a point when a car is behind you on the left or right hand side that you can't see them- in the rear view mirror- or even if you turn your head due to the small rear side windows and large rear pillar. I almost turned into someone the other night when I was in the middle lane and someone was passing on the right and I did not know it. I looked in my rear view, no one there, put my blinker on, then instinctively turn my head like I have my entire life driving but the view is blocked by the pillar, so I thought well no one is there and started to go over and good thing I don't change lanes too fast, I saw him a split second before I hit him and moved back in the middle lane. it was very close.

That one blind sport you can see nothing-even if you turn your head. I never had a car like this before where there is a blind spot- a real blind spot, nothing you can do. All cars have blind sports in the rear view, easily overcome by looking over your shoulder to assure no one is there. Can't do this in the Camaro.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
You need to adjust your side mirrors outward, which is the proper way. If you can see the rear corners of your car they are too far in.
Herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Blind spot indicators help big time. Otherwise I try to map myself out through my entire drive tracking if anyone pulled up behind me and remembering positions. Personally I try to speed up on lane changes so IF someone was there, they would now be out of my blind spot effectively.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
DirectTo

Drives: Sold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
You need to adjust your side mirrors outward, which is the proper way. If you can see the rear corners they are too far in.
This is it. Adjust your mirrors quite a bit out and use the rear view more. Cars should go from your pirepheral to the side mirror to the rear view mirror to the other side to your pirepheral without any gaps. Works fine in mine.

Put your head almost against your driver’s window, adjust the driver mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear fender. Put your head in the center of the car, over the console, and adjust the passenger mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear passenger fender. Sit normally in the driver seat and adjust the rear view mirror to be straight back.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you’ll never want to go back.
DirectTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Correct mirror adjustment is the first key. With your mirrors adjusted properly, you hardly need the blind spot monitoring system. That being said, I truly will never buy another car without the blind spot monitoring system. Double safety measures equates to a safer drive.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
I had my first 2010 camaro and now I am in my new 18 and I have to say that i can see better in this car than a lot of others I have had. Our other vehicle is a 16 wrangler and I can’t see anything in that. With the Camaro mirrors in the right spot I can see pretty much all I need to and feel confident switching lanes or anything else. I am short at about 5’-7” but these mirrors are perfect IMO for this car. Funny thing I don’t trust is the back up camera I now have. Still trying to look out the back window, haha.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
Like others have said mirrors adjusted correctly. BSI really helps too.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
If you're turning your head to see out your car your mirrors are not set correctly like everyone else is saying in this thread.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
As many have said, make sure your mirrors face outward enough. You should barely see any of your car in the mirror. With it adjusted like that, there is no blind spot.
Then, you can also double check with a head turn if you want.
If there is any question, or if it's something tiny like a motorcycle, don't do the lane change. Slow down, speed up, see if you can get a clear entrance.
It's basic driving principles, which in my opinion, older people do better because we never had blind spot monitoring. Yes blind spot monitoring has been shown in studies to reduce crashes. Great, all that tells me is people are worse at driving today.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
This is it. Adjust your mirrors quite a bit out and use the rear view more. Cars should go from your pirepheral to the side mirror to the rear view mirror to the other side to your pirepheral without any gaps. Works fine in mine.

Put your head almost against your driver’s window, adjust the driver mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear fender. Put your head in the center of the car, over the console, and adjust the passenger mirror until you can just barely see the edge of the rear passenger fender. Sit normally in the driver seat and adjust the rear view mirror to be straight back.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it down you’ll never want to go back.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
I handle blind spots by driving away from them very fast...Lol...

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
What is really surprising to me is that I've not noticed a problem with blind spots in this car 2 years + into ownership. I rent a lot of cars during my business travels and I've seen worse. And blind spot monitors are great, but I don't completely rely on them. Maybe it is also in my height and position in the seat?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Blind spot monitoring is a nice feature, but it is difficult for me to see the light inside the mirror. Alternatively, and more importantly, I use the correct method for setting my mirrors so I don't have any issues.

This is the irrefutably correct way to set your mirrors. Anyone who tells you differently is wrong.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Floor it just to make sure the area is clear
60% of the time, it works every time...