Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
UberDragon

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS Metallic Black-Out
Blackvue Power Magic Pro - short parking time

So I've installed my Blackvue DR900S-2CH dash cameras as well as the Blackvue Power Magic Pro (constant, switched and ground all hooked up and working using piggy back fuse jumps and 15 amp fuses for the cam wires). I have the shut off voltage set to 12volts and have it set to disable the shut off based on timer so it should basically run until the PMP reads the battery has less than 12 volts.

Is anyone else using the Power Magic Pro (PMP)? If so, how long are you actually getting in parking mode when the car is off?

It seems it takes about 20-30 minutes after the car is shut off for the PMP to shut itself off (presumably reading less than 12v in the battery). Which seems to defeat the purpose of parking mode (unless you only park for 15 minutes at a time lol).

I do know there are batteries that can be added to this setup.. and I may end up getting one or two.. but before I do I wanted to see what kind of results others are getting with the PMP with no extra battery added.
UberDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
UberDragon

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS Metallic Black-Out
So it turned out it was on and recording events in parking mode for way longer than 30 minutes (hours at this point) - the LEDs just were off lol. Admin feel free to delete this post if you see fit - nothin' to see here!
UberDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
k818mn1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS, Garnet Red
You might want to read this article - https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/
A cutoff of 12V corresponds to approx 50% discharge of your battery, so if you regularly use the parking mode for hours and hit the 12V cutoff you will shorten the life of your battery.
I have the Thinkware F770 2-channel dashcam which has built-in battery protection. With the cutoff set to 12.2V the battery only powers the dashcam in parking mode for a couple of hours - I guess it's a rather small battery in the Camaro. For that reason I do not use parking mode on a regular basis.
As you mention, there are external battery packs that can be used to power dashcams during parking mode. However they are susceptible to high temperatures and certainly here in Texas it can easily exceed 100 degrees in my car after being parked all day at work, so I wouldn't want a battery pack in my car.
k818mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote