Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
A8 Transmission wont shift out of park

I am experiencing an issue where after starting my car, the shifter is stuck in park. I restarted the car several times and made sure to stand on the brake, but that didn't help. Finally I said F it and pulled back on the lever hard and I could feel whatever was hung up give way; also heard a crunching noise. This has happened a couple times now. I'm thinking it must be a mechanical problem with the shifter and not electrical. Has anyone experienced this same issue or know of a TSB that addresses it?

Last edited by the chosen one; 01-30-2019 at 09:27 AM.
the chosen one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Isn't it still under warranty? I would not yank and crunch anything. The car has a brake interlock system and if the brake switch is not reading correctly the shifter will not release. You're going to damage things not broke be forcing it.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Our shifter is mechanical so if you're parked on an incline and didn't set the parking brake then there will be weight on the transmission. Sometimes that makes it hard to pull it out of park. If you have the wheels turned and parked on an incline the weight on the steering lock can make it hard to take the car out of park. In either case if you engage the parking brake before you take your foot off the brake pedal it will prevent the car from rolling and putting pressure on the transmission and steering. Give that a try to see if that solves the problem.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Our shifter is mechanical so if you're parked on an incline and didn't set the parking brake then there will be weight on the transmission. Sometimes that makes it hard to pull it out of park. If you have the wheels turned and parked on an incline the weight on the steering lock can make it hard to take the car out of park. In either case if you engage the parking brake before you take your foot off the brake pedal it will prevent the car from rolling and putting pressure on the transmission and steering. Give that a try to see if that solves the problem.
I started using the parking brake and so far the problem hasn't reoccurred. Thanks for the tip.

Tags
a8 trans, park, shifter