Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
@Petrohead: I'm not sure you are correct about the dealer only making $1500. It's closer to twice that much.

I just went through a pretty laborious process of process of trying to buy a SS 1LE - first a 2020 back in July-Aug (didn't go well due to low supply and dealers not willing to negotiate much) and then ordering a 2021 in Sept. After quite a bit of research, it seems a dealer's two primary sources of profit from the final sale price are:

1) The difference between the invoice price (what they initially paid Chevy for the car) and the final price they sell it to for, after they attempt to add in their admin and doc fees. If you pay "invoice price" and don't pay any extra dealer fees, you are essentially saving ~ $2000 off MSRP

2) Holdback: All manufacturers pay a kickback rebate to dealers on a quarterly basis that is a fixed percent of the MSRP price. For Chevy this is 3%. So if a dealer buys a $40,000 Camaro from Chevy, they will get $1200 paid back to them within 3 months. They do this financial wizardly for multiple reasons. One of them is because now that the internet has pulled back the curtain on the "secret" invoice price, and consumers show up trying to pay invoice, the dealer can afford to haggle and arrive at invoice price and claim they you are bleeding them dry; All the while they are still making at least 3% ($1200 in this example).

I wound up ordering my vehicle for invoice price, which apparently was still good enough for the dealer I chose. I approached 7 dealers and asked them for their best price bids. The results where pretty varied, with $500 off MSRP being the worst. But two immediately offered invoice price. That's how you know they are still making money (at least the hold-back amount).

But just because dealers are making several thousand if they sell the car at MSRP, that doesn't mean they'll all willing offer you a good discount. Some are willing to make less (not zero of course, just less) and others for some reason are either unwilling or are just more greedy. COVID isn't doing buyers any favors right now, as it seems many dealers aren't in a rush to sell at a good discount, the limited inventory they have.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
OMG!! You mean new colors and new stickers didn't help sales? LOL
Old 10-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #17
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I bought mine for "invoice", and had another dealer offer the exact same price.
The 3rd was couple hundie higher.

NO one was going below invoice though. Even with the Costco program.

I ended up with about $2K off MSRP + $1500 in rebates.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #18
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
You’re right the COVID cases causing plants to shut down and then it coming not long after the GM supplier strike has dealer inventory extremely low. Dealers have no reason to discount vehicles right now with such limited inventory on their lots.

I looked my Camaro SS up on KBB and NADA this week and the value has gone up from last year... I thought what the heck so, I looked at auto trader and sure enough listing prices are way up from a year ago. This seems to be the case with all used makes and model values. So the lack of new inventory is even driving up the prices of used cars right now. Crazy times.

I think you’re getting the best deal for now. I’m fortunate my uncle (now in his late 80s) retired from GM and I can use his employee discount. I used that buying my SS, it also limits the dealer to $75.00 doc fees.

Good luck with your buy
Old 10-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
You’re right the COVID cases causing plants to shut down and then it coming not long after the GM supplier strike has dealer inventory extremely low. Dealers have no reason to discount vehicles right now with such limited inventory on their lots.

I looked my Camaro SS up on KBB and NADA this week and the value has gone up from last year... I thought what the heck so, I looked at auto trader and sure enough listing prices are way up from a year ago. This seems to be the case with all used makes and model values. So the lack of new inventory is even driving up the prices of used cars right now. Crazy times.

I think you’re getting the best deal for now. I’m fortunate my uncle (now in his late 80s) retired from GM and I can use his employee discount. I used that buying my SS, it also limits the dealer to $75.00 doc fees.

Good luck with your buy
Good ol’ Inflation.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #20
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
C6's and 7's are way way up vs when i bought my C7 back in May of this year. My 2013 C6 with headers sold in 2 days time at the dealer. Sure wished i never traded for that crappy new C7.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #21
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i wonder how many people are buying year or two old CPO cars to save money and get a better warranty.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #22
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Good ol’ Inflation.
Yeah, the housing market in my area is through the roof as well. Homes are getting multiple offers and selling well above listed price in some cases.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #23
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Yeah, the housing market in my area is through the roof as well. Homes are getting multiple offers and selling well above listed price in some cases.
Been hearing that for a lot of areas, well, not in riotville USA that is.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #24
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
This is happening in the Southwest also....
Old 10-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #25
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I think it is supply and demand. It seems like they are producing Camaros to the demand. Lansing is only on one shift and they are building Cadillacs too. I look at inventory around me in Detroit every so often, and lately, it is VERY low for Camaro's.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #26
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
It’s happening in CT as people flee NYC. Houses here are being bought over Zoom because they sell so fast.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #27
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Plenty of Camaro's in my area.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #28
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Plenty of Camaro's in my area.
Yeah but if you want a specific trim and color, good luck. CarGurus shows just 3 blue 2SS models with the 1LE package in the whole country. The more open you are to colors and packages then yeah you can buy one. But like I said just barely over 300 cars in the whole US with V8 and a manual. That’s nuts.

I wanted an SS1LE in either Shadow Gray or Blue and there was one of each in the entire New England region. I needed up buying out of state. And yes I could have ordered one but you have to find a dealer with an allocation and then wait it out which could be months right now.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote