#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
nightmare attempt at getting oil changed and tranny fluid changed

Not sure why, but I keep having issues trying to get anyone to work on this car and do it correctly. First, I think I should get some upgraded transmission fluid for the 6 speed after a hard track day and some really hard daily drives. So I take it to this shop in Mission Viejo...I will name it later. I provide them with what I think will be a good choice for the aftermarket fluid.....Valvoline MTF, syncromesh automatic transmission fluid. Recommended by the guy at O'reilly's. I take 4 quarts to the shop. They agree to take the car and do the oil change with Mobil 1 and swap out trans fluid. I then made a mistake. I did not get an estimate for the work....bad idea. I get a call a couple hours later. The service guy says the Valvoline will destroy my transmission before I even get to the highway. He says he has ordered some from the dealership and gives me the part number. I call Chevy and it becomes obvious, nobody really knows what the correct part number is for the OEM fluid. So I call the guy back, he immediately goes off and starts bitching to me about the situation. He wants rack time money and then I ask how much the oil change and trans fluid change is....650.00. I told him, take it off the rack and park it. Put the old fluid back in the car. I show up to get the car. He has already done the oil change. Then he gives me a bill for 450.00. I said...bullshit, not paying that. Then we have a discussion and he tells me to leave and never come back and how much am I willing to pay. I said 250.00 since I made a mistake on providing the wrong oil and should pay for some rack time....I think it was wrong, still not sure, and I think 150.00 for an oil change with mobil one is high, but okay. Now I get home and check the oil. Not even full. Not really sure if they put the transmission fluid back....now I just have to do it all myself, which is what I should have done in the first place! I also asked 2 other shops close by if they would change the trans fluid....nope, would not touch it. Dealership wants 300.00 to swap oil in a manual transmission....ouch.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
2 suggestions...

Find a race/performance shop that has good reviews and ratings.

Do more research and make sure you know what you need to buy before you buy it. Considering the consequences of putting incorrect fluid in a major mechanical component in my car, I would know exactly what I needed and what was required. Due diligence goes a long way.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If you can find a fluid pump it literally takes maybe 1 hour to do this on the ground in your garage. I use the Royal Purple Syncromax fluid, had it in m transmission for 17k miles now since new and not one issue. It shifts better than the OEM fluid.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Never ever listen to the guy at the autoparts store, there's almost a 100% chance he has no idea what he's talking about. Also $300 for a trans fluid change from a dealer is ridiculous. One of my friends with a 1LE had it done at the local dealer and it was either $150 or $160.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
I don’t understand. What’s wrong with following the factory recommendations in the owner’s manual? Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of guys try to save money on oil and fluid changes or take someone else’s suggestions for “premium” changes that are contrary to factory recommendations - and many of them ended up doing expensive rebuilds or replacements. During the warranty periods of more than 60 vehicles I’ve owned - from daily drivers to full-on race cars - I‘ve followed the factory recommendations and never experienced an oiling-related problem.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Your first mistake was listening to the guy at an auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
I don’t understand. What’s wrong with following the factory recommendations in the owner’s manual? Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of guys try to save money on oil and fluid changes or take someone else’s suggestions for “premium” changes that are contrary to factory recommendations - and many of them ended up doing expensive rebuilds or replacements. During the warranty periods of more than 60 vehicles I’ve owned - from daily drivers to full-on race cars - I‘ve followed the factory recommendations and never experienced an oiling-related problem.
It's almost like manufacturers spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours developing the engineering knowledge to properly run and maintain the things they design...
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
It's almost like manufacturers spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours developing the engineering knowledge to properly run and maintain the things they design...
but Cold Air Intake!

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
and throttle bodies......
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
To a point.. in the case of standard oils.. eh.

Use whatever floats your boat as long as it meets the spec from the Mfr. Even the Mfr will tell you that, they just want you to use their fluid. Who makes Chevy's fluid anyways?
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
To a point.. in the case of standard oils.. eh.

Use whatever floats your boat as long as it meets the spec from the Mfr. Even the Mfr will tell you that, they just want you to use their fluid. Who makes Chevy's fluid anyways?
Well yeah... as long as it meets the spec confirms that the lubrication is interchangeable via agreed upon standard tests. The people who designed the engine (and even more likely, the guys who make the bearings) WILL have done plenty of testing and analysis to pick the correct specs.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
FWIW - GM did not design or engineer the transmission, Tremec did. They say to use DexIII ATF or Equivelant

Avoid anything DexIV or higher - the detergents in the fluid attacks the composite pads on the shift forks
DorkMissile is offline   Reply With Quote