Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Lowering Springs - Non MRC - Ride Quality?

For those who have lowered with Eibach (or any lowering spring)on a non mrc car...what is your opinion on ride quality.??? I am torn between Eibach and the GM spring/strut kit...not sure if the ride quality with Eibach alone is worth spending an additional 800-$900 for the gm kit...

Last edited by tecboy; 02-10-2017 at 04:55 AM.
tecboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
For those who have lowered with Eibach (or any lowering spring)on a non mrc car...what is your opinion on ride quality.??? I am torn between Eibach and the GM spring/strut kit...not sure if the ride quality with Eibach alone is worth spending an additional 800-$900 for the gm kit...
I would wait for aftermarket companies to release shocks and struts
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
tecboy

adding cost for aftermarket struts/shocks...along with eibach cost...i would be approaching same parts cost as buying the gm lowering kit...only getting maybe 1/4 more drop than the gm ones..i am trying to find out if only doing springs alone....how much the overall ride quality changes
Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
I love my BMR springs... had them installed with less than 200 miles on the car... Very very happy... Need a 4 wheel allignemet after but they ride great and look awesome while still being able to go over Big speed bumps with the GM GFX.....

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
I love my BMR springs... had them installed with less than 200 miles on the car... Very very happy... Need a 4 wheel allignemet after but they ride great and look awesome while still being able to go over Big speed bumps with the GM GFX.....
I had the eibach pro kit on my 5thGen and the BMR springs are awesome. I'm not tracking my car but for 220 +280 with 4wheel alignment installed you cant go wrong....my car on 22's not one rub even.....
Pic...

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
adding cost for aftermarket struts/shocks...along with eibach cost...i would be approaching same parts cost as buying the gm lowering kit...only getting maybe 1/4 more drop than the gm ones..i am trying to find out if only doing springs alone....how much the overall ride quality changes
The ride quality will be nowhere near what aftermarket struts and shocks will give you. With just springs you're going to have a jerky/bouncy ride with anything other than stock spring rates. Honestly...you bought a 40k car, just suck it up and do it right.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
tecboy

i have no problem spending the additional money if needed to eliminate crappy ride from drop springs...just wasnt sure if the minor 1" drop and the technology used today to create the drop springs...if real world experience would dictate new struts/shocks are a definite must do....its really a mute point for the short term...gm kit (new part number) isnt available anyway
Old 02-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
The ride quality will be nowhere near what aftermarket struts and shocks will give you. With just springs you're going to have a jerky/bouncy ride with anything other than stock spring rates. Honestly...you bought a 40k car, just suck it up and do it right.
And your statement about "jerky/bouncy ride" is based on experience or opinion? Just curious.

OP - I can't say about the Gen 6 but on my Gen 5 I had Pfadt 1.5 inch drop springs and other than the expected ground clearance issues on big speed bumps and driveway curbs I had no issues for ride handling and quality. The ride was a little firmer but not jerky and bouncy. I doubt you will have a different experience with the gen 6. Too many people have already dropped their cars on Eibach, BMR - etc and no one is complaining about a harsh, unacceptable ride quality with them.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsnare98 View Post
I have BMR springs on factory shocks and struts and doing just fine. Quite impressed. If Koni had oranges out yet I would have put those on but nobody has any after market yet.
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
And your statement about "jerky/bouncy ride" is based on experience or opinion? Just curious.

OP - I can't say about the Gen 6 but on my Gen 5 I had Pfadt 1.5 inch drop springs and other than the expected ground clearance issues on big speed bumps and driveway curbs I had no issues for ride handling and quality. The ride was a little firmer but not jerky and bouncy. I doubt you will have a different experience with the gen 6. Too many people have already dropped their cars on Eibach, BMR - etc and no one is complaining about a harsh, unacceptable ride quality with them.
I had BMR and Koni oranges on my 5th Gen and loved it.
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

Yes...from experiance. I have bmr springs and they're great, but the dampers are just not made for anything stiffer than stock. I opted for just springs only because there weren't any aftermarket options available. When there are some out, I'll most likely go with a more aggressive spring/damper.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #12
Sunsnare98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post
I have BMR springs on factory shocks and struts and doing just fine. Quite impressed. If Koni had oranges out yet I would have put those on but nobody has any after market yet.
They're good don't get me wrong. But Koni dampers would give it a massive increase in ride quality.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Resurrecting this thread in hopes of receiving more feedback regarding the ride quality of BMR coil springs. Like the OP, I'm contemplating installing either BMR coil springs or the factory lowering kit. I prefer the stance of the BMR coil springs but am still uncertain of which kit to purchase---cost is not a concern.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i had the afe power ones and now have the yyz ones and love them only down part is no aftermarket shock options yet

the gm one is a nice kit and does work also tho!