Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Thrashed1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Audio upgrade

Scheduled my 1ss 1LE for an audio upgrade and window tint in a couple weeks. Does $1900 for a dual 10” sub enclosure, 5 channel amp, rear sail panel 6.5’s, component speakers up front and full tint upgrade sound reasonable?
GM Spectrum Lighting
Alpine component speakers, JBL amp, Magnum Subs
3M tinted windows
ZL1 Add Ons front and rear rock guards
Stainless Works headers and x-pipe
Borla ATAK axleback exhaust
Dyno tuned at National Speed, 464rwhp, 493ft lbs
Next up, MSD intake manifold and another set of dyno tunes
Thrashed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Seems reasonable for decent brands installed. As long as you don't end up with Tenna Pyramid Gold or something. Make sure your installer has done Camaro's like yours before too so they don't come back at you for another $1000 of adapters or something.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Thrashed1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Seems reasonable for decent brands installed. As long as you don't end up with Tenna Pyramid Gold or something. Make sure your installer has done Camaro's like yours before too so they don't come back at you for another $1000 of adapters or something.

-Geoff
JBL Club Series amp and Alpine R series speakers. The stock 1LE audio is pathetic!
GM Spectrum Lighting
3M tinted windows
Old 07-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashed1LE View Post
JBL Club Series amp and Alpine R series speakers. The stock 1LE audio is pathetic!
I agree! Stock Bose isn't much better. I had a 2012 Camaro Convertible and the stock stereo was much better. It was an OEM Boston Acoustics made by Visteon, but it had a 10" subwoofer behind the rear seat that made a big difference. I was disappointed when I saw they got rid of the sub for the 2016 model. I guess if you look, though, a bunch of stuff for the power top is back there now, so we sacrificed stereo to get a much more reliable top. Worth it but still disappointing in some ways!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
That may well be a reasonable price. It kind of depends on your exact goals for the sound. However, I'd strongly consider not messing with the rear side panel speakers at all: upgrade the door and dash speakers and do the sub (and maybe see if there's a three-channel amp option that saves a bit of money), and just fade out the rear panel speakers. There's a fair amount of labor involved in getting to those rear panel speakers, and they don't even get a full-range signal. I don't see a benefit in using them at all, much less upgrading them.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
Thrashed1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That may well be a reasonable price. It kind of depends on your exact goals for the sound. However, I'd strongly consider not messing with the rear side panel speakers at all: upgrade the door and dash speakers and do the sub (and maybe see if there's a three-channel amp option that saves a bit of money), and just fade out the rear panel speakers. There's a fair amount of labor involved in getting to those rear panel speakers, and they don't even get a full-range signal. I don't see a benefit in using them at all, much less upgrading them.
Valid point. It’s not like anybody can fit back there anyway! 🤪
GM Spectrum Lighting
3M tinted windows
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
... There's a fair amount of labor involved in getting to those rear panel speakers, and they don't even get a full-range signal. I don't see a benefit in using them at all, much less upgrading them.
In the stock system is the frequency range to those speakers reduced at the amp, or the head unit? If the head unit sends full range, then adding a full range amp may sound worse because the stock speakers may not be able to handle it without distorting.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
In the stock system is the frequency range to those speakers reduced at the amp, or the head unit? If the head unit sends full range, then adding a full range amp may sound worse because the stock speakers may not be able to handle it without distorting.
The "head units" on our cars that we see in the dash is really just a touchscreen display. The real receiver unit is a module up in the dash board to the right of the glove box. In a 1SS 1LE and some base cars, there is no separate amp in the trunk at all, and the signal to the rear speakers is still altered. So the frequency is filtered in that receiver unit and not at the amp.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
The "head units" on our cars that we see in the dash is really just a touchscreen display. The real receiver unit is a module up in the dash board to the right of the glove box. In a 1SS 1LE and some base cars, there is no separate amp in the trunk at all, and the signal to the rear speakers is still altered. So the frequency is filtered in that receiver unit and not at the amp.
So if a separate 5 channel amp is installed, it's getting a full range signal from somewhere besides the feed to the rear side speakers. So new speakers in those locations could easily get full range from the new amp. Correct?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
So if a separate 5 channel amp is installed, it's getting a full range signal from somewhere besides the feed to the rear side speakers. So new speakers in those locations could easily get full range from the new amp. Correct?
There is no place to tap full-range speaker level outputs to those rear side speakers, AFAIK. You have an SS 1LE like I do, so the speaker signals coming from the receiver module by the glove box are the only analog signals available. If you car is 2016-2018 they could install a NAV TV unit and pull a digital signal and send that to an amp, or maybe get re-equalize the rear speaker signals to flat again. That's outside my knowledge. If it's a 2019-2020, then no such thing is available for our cars yet. Maybe there's a 5-channel amp that can take one set of speaker-level inputs (from the front speakers) and split it into five channels. But your head unit will then no longer control the fader - it would have to be some kind of adjustment on the amp itself.