Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
rayruner

Drives: 16 2.0 red
ltg motor

I got a 16 ats coupe , 2.0 turbo and 8 speed, I would like to get a good forged motor built, can someone tell me who builds ltg motors and what kind of hp should i look for, if i'm willing to spend the money, and a good converter for the street. thanks
rayruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
I got a 16 ats coupe , 2.0 turbo and 8 speed, I would like to get a good forged motor built, can someone tell me who builds ltg motors and what kind of hp should i look for, if i'm willing to spend the money, and a good converter for the street. thanks
Most of your cost will end up in Install. The quality of said install is the biggest issue don't go with your cheapest qoute despite it always sounding best most of those shops reuse worn or damaged gaskets and seals and don't properly calibrate anything leading to early or immediate failure after tuning.

Buy a new Motor off JEGS for like $1k buy your internals might aswell get better valves and springs while your at it. you can go with CP-Carillio or JE Pistons and Rods or ZZP's Pistons makes little difference.

Have them assemble the built motor with your bought new motor it will save you nearly 50% in labor then having them remove, tear down and install and reassemble.

With a built forged motor and complimenting bolt-ons your now looking at around 340-350whp on an aggressive tune. For more you will need to upgrade fueling and the turbo. There are no reliable proven converters "yet"

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
350whp on a good tune with a forged block? I would assume more. The turbo if not mistaken oem is a mitsubishi td04 (same as evoX) and they boost roughly 20-28psi from hp tuners.
I would think stock turbo and injectors he could achieve 400+ knowing that his valve train is now beefed up. I've seen cobalts with smaller turbos and 60lb injectors reach over 500whp.
Not saying your wrong at all, safe wise 350ish would be ideal without upgrading turbo size and injectors.
To add, I dont know of any aftermarket torque converters. I'm more of a manual transmission type of driver and that would require a heavier duty clutch for maintaining power transfer from output shaft to input shaft. A lighter flywheel would help with quicker revs and launch control.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I don't know if I would bother with a built motor to push 350 whp. Sounds like that's about the top of the stock internals. I can understand wanting some headroom for reliability, but if I'm going through the time, effort, and money to build the motor, I'm going to also do the turbo and all the supporting mods to be at 450+ whp. Also, at that point, I would go with the SS, or ATS-V to stay with the ATS. It'll be easier, cheaper, and more reliable.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
350whp on a good tune with a forged block? I would assume more. The turbo if not mistaken oem is a mitsubishi td04 (same as evoX) and they boost roughly 20-28psi from hp tuners.
I would think stock turbo and injectors he could achieve 400+ knowing that his valve train is now beefed up. I've seen cobalts with smaller turbos and 60lb injectors reach over 500whp.
Not saying your wrong at all, safe wise 350ish would be ideal without upgrading turbo size and injectors.
To add, I dont know of any aftermarket torque converters. I'm more of a manual transmission type of driver and that would require a heavier duty clutch for maintaining power transfer from output shaft to input shaft. A lighter flywheel would help with quicker revs and launch control.
The stock turbos can't move enough air to do 320whp reliably it's a known fact if you do any research. You can hit 350whp with E85 or Meth on the stock turbo but it will be unreliable without a built motor to avoid things breaking.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 07-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
I see, basically it will lean out and boom, engine toasted. Now if you get a bigger turbo and bigger injectors, plus one heck of a fuel pump, you can achieve a lot more. Seen zzps camaro pull over 550whp and that's with their setup.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
The stock turbos can't move enough air to do 320whp reliably it's a known fact if you do any research. You can hit 350whp with E85 or Meth on the stock turbo but it will be unreliable without a built motor to avoid things breaking.
Those are the accurate numbers. I'm working on getting my FF tune up to speed. Its a good challenge, since I want to know everything that is happening in the CPU.

MW is easy, doesn't require any connections to the ecu, does't require any special tuning other than working in the VT tables. Onboard O2, adjusts the trims and the STFT range isn't so wonky that it triggers any codes. You get cooling effect where it really matters in boost, and power in the top end during spray. easy to adjust or shut off. WW fluid is more than sufficient to do the job. Can be metered to juice as much or little as you want to refill the tank. $2 a fill. nozzle 4 on full WW ok for hot months. Cooler DAs you can cut that in half.

FF is more of a constant power adder and very expensive if all you have access to is VP X85. Requires a lot of fine tuning work, has more constant and low to mid power, but I'm not really wowed yet on the top end, but its a work in progress. high end power is similar to MW. requires a tricky connector pull into the X3 harness. $12 per gallon.

- You can Not use FF and MW together effectively. I got the bogs. It just doesn't work that way so forget about extending fueling like that.

Billet turbo wheel is up front cost and labor is more advanced, is a constant power adder, and puts a lot more stress on everything. Get in there and calibrate the MAF sensor. Definitely having the boost cooler is a great combo with the billet wheel. $900 for complete / no core.

I have been shopping for traction adders, but my better judgement says to just be OK with street rubber on the track, to be OK with the slippage, even though prepped cars will launch much harder, I kept pace with a cammed LS el camino on drag radials, last week.

Had I actually been dialed in with my FF tune, it would have been an interesting finish. I expect it to take a few weeks to get it dialed in.

I'm running consistent 390 tq to the crank with either fuel option with HP tuners logs. Probably in the 340 range to the wheel.

Edit: oh yeah, and my alky percent for first testing is only 20 percent.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106

Last edited by wookwook; 07-06-2020 at 08:48 AM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
I see, basically it will lean out and boom, engine toasted. Now if you get a bigger turbo and bigger injectors, plus one heck of a fuel pump, you can achieve a lot more. Seen zzps camaro pull over 550whp and that's with their setup.
ZZP is also throwing E85 down the manifold as a 5th injector. You really can't use their car as a reliable benchmark given the amount that's gone boom on that car. What they've achieved is no contest very impressive though.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Those are the accurate numbers. I'm working on getting my FF tune up to speed. Its a good challenge, since I want to know everything that is happening in the CPU.

MW is easy, doesn't require any connections to the ecu, does't require any special tuning other than working in the VT tables. Onboard O2, adjusts the trims and the STFT range isn't so wonky that it triggers any codes. You get cooling effect where it really matters in boost, and power in the top end during spray. easy to adjust or shut off. WW fluid is more than sufficient to do the job. Can be metered to juice as much or little as you want to refill the tank. $2 a fill. nozzle 4 on full WW ok for hot months. Cooler DAs you can cut that in half.

FF is more of a constant power adder and very expensive if all you have access to is VP X85. Requires a lot of fine tuning work, has more constant and low to mid power, but I'm not really wowed yet on the top end, but its a work in progress. high end power is similar to MW. requires a tricky connector pull into the X3 harness. $12 per gallon.

- You can Not use FF and MW together effectively. I got the bogs. It just doesn't work that way so forget about extending fueling like that.

Billet turbo wheel is up front cost and labor is more advanced, is a constant power adder, and puts a lot more stress on everything. Get in there and calibrate the MAF sensor. Definitely having the boost cooler is a great combo with the billet wheel. $900 for complete / no core.

I have been shopping for traction adders, but my better judgement says to just be OK with street rubber on the track, to be OK with the slippage, even though prepped cars will launch much harder, I kept pace with a cammed LS el camino on drag radials, last week.

Had I actually been dialed in with my FF tune, it would have been an interesting finish. I expect it to take a few weeks to get it dialed in.

I'm running consistent 390 tq to the crank with either fuel option with HP tuners logs. Probably in the 340 range to the wheel.

Edit: oh yeah, and my alky percent for first testing is only 20 percent.
If you got flex fuel fill up at a station in Massachusetts and go to the track. I think Charleston Rest Area has it. Reach out to driven2excess or whatever his name is on here he fills up at one in Mass.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I know, I was wondering if they still did. that's at he conn. border, I used to commute by there. Chelsea has one too. guy at NED said its hit or miss, they get pissed if you fill a barrel, lol. sad thing is I walk by a 5000 gallon tank at the shipyard every day. under lock and key of course, also m16 and 9mm guarded, but who's counting.

No - making a still is simple enough but I would "need" a fed permit. But I will have to figure out how to de-water the moonshine to get it over 96.5 percent. you can't just distill the water out of mash to purity with heat alone. It needs some filtering sieves to pull the remaining water. X85 actually smells like gin lol.

I loaded some edits today the air is good, and she pulled super hard. I hope we run into some of these dry air track nights. get better traction. they are keeping the track sloppy on purpose. second week in and people are still pissing oil on the track, can't wait until the idiots break their shit boxes and pack it up. Looking for 106 this year.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I know, I was wondering if they still did. that's at he conn. border, I used to commute by there. Chelsea has one too. guy at NED said its hit or miss, they get pissed if you fill a barrel, lol. sad thing is I walk by a 5000 gallon tank at the shipyard every day. under lock and key of course, also m16 and 9mm guarded, but who's counting.

No - making a still is simple enough but I would "need" a fed permit. But I will have to figure out how to de-water the moonshine to get it over 96.5 percent. you can't just distill the water out of mash to purity with heat alone. It needs some filtering sieves to pull the remaining water. X85 actually smells like gin lol.

I loaded some edits today the air is good, and she pulled super hard. I hope we run into some of these dry air track nights. get better traction. they are keeping the track sloppy on purpose. second week in and people are still pissing oil on the track, can't wait until the idiots break their shit boxes and pack it up. Looking for 106 this year.
Haha they've usually all broken by now but with the late opening and shutdown.